Web Analytics
Bangla
Loading date...
RECENT THREADS SOCIAL PAGE LOGIN

Lebanon’s Health Ministry said the death toll from Israeli attacks has risen to 4,346 since the attacks began in southern Lebanon on March 2. More than 12,000 people have been injured during the same period, according to the ministry’s latest figures reported on August 16, 2026.

The reported fatalities include 393 women and 257 children. At least 135 health workers have also been killed in Israeli attacks, the ministry said. It added that civilian casualties in Lebanon continue to rise amid the ongoing attacks.

On Saturday, Israeli attacks in the towns of Deir ez-Zahrani and Ansar killed another 11 people, including children. The latest ministry tally covers casualties recorded since the start of the reported attacks in southern Lebanon on March 2.

17 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Israel's attacks in Lebanon have killed 4,346 people and injured more than 12,000

Rajshahi University has permanently dismissed Statistics Department professor Prabhas Kumar over sexual harassment and academic corruption. The decision was taken on Thursday evening at the university Syndicate’s 548th meeting, its policy-making forum. Vice-Chancellor Professor Faridul Islam confirmed the action on Sunday evening.

Acting Registrar Professor Iftikharul Alam Masud said two inquiry committees had been formed over allegations that Kumar sexually harassed a student and committed academic corruption. Both committees recommended his dismissal. A higher committee was subsequently formed under university rules, and the Syndicate approved the punishment based on its recommendation.

According to the university, Kumar was entitled to nominate a representative to the higher committee but did not do so, instead submitting written statements at different times. Allegations arose that he physically and mentally harassed a female student in his office on August 4 last year. After student protests, he was temporarily relieved of academic and administrative duties on September 9 last year.

17 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Rajshahi University dismisses professor Prabhas Kumar over sexual harassment and academic corruption

Finance and Planning Minister Amir Khosru Mahmud Chowdhury said economic democratization is necessary for political democracy to succeed. Speaking as chief guest at the July Mass Uprising Commemoration Programme 2026 at Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology’s central auditorium on Sunday afternoon, he said Bangladesh’s people and national interests must take priority over everything else, and nothing should be done against those interests.

Referring to the background of the July mass uprising, Khosru said a tendency to remain in power by selling out national interests had raised questions about Bangladesh’s independence and sovereignty. He also described his time in jail, saying cases including the killing of police and arson at the Bangladesh Television centre were filed against him. He cited lack of family contact, inadequate treatment and harsh conditions for inmates.

The minister said the government aims to secure voting rights, human rights, rule of law and economic participation. He outlined plans to bring blacksmiths, potters, weavers, cottage-industry workers, artists, actors, singers and athletes into the economic mainstream through skills development, modern design, branding, marketing and links to international markets.

17 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Amir Khosru calls for economic democratization alongside political democracy at BUET

Minister Fakir Mahbub Anam called on the private sector to invest more in startups alongside government financing, saying promising initiatives in Bangladesh should not be halted by lack of funds. He made the remarks on Sunday morning at the launch of the Fund of Funds, organized by Startup Bangladesh Limited at ICT Tower in Agargaon, Dhaka.

The minister said Bangladesh has no shortage of talented entrepreneurs and innovative ideas, and the government wants to create an investment-friendly environment. He said the Fund of Funds would be managed with priority on competence, good governance and professionalism. Startup Bangladesh has already invested about Tk111 crore in 36 technology-based startups.

Prime Minister’s adviser Rehan Asif Asad said venture capital and startups would play an important role in diversifying Bangladesh’s future economic growth. He said startups need mentorship, skills, market connections and technological support as well as financing. The proposed fund is intended to bring more private and international capital, help Bangladeshi startups enter international markets, and support investor protections and the repatriation of lawful profits and capital.

17 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Bangladesh launches Fund of Funds to attract private and international startup investment

Police in Sylhet have taken arrested suspect Babul Mia on four days’ remand for questioning over the throat-slitting killings of a couple and their domestic worker in the Raynagar Mitali residential area. A judge of the Sylhet Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Court, Farhana Sultana, granted the remand after Babul was produced before the court on Sunday morning.

Sylhet Metropolitan Police Deputy Commissioner for the North Saiful Islam said investigators had sought a 10-day remand. Police recovered the bodies of Abdus Sattar, 82, his wife Suraiya Begum, 72, and their 15-year-old domestic worker Tahmina from the second floor of Nikunja Villa on Wednesday morning. Abdus Sattar was a former director of the Sylhet Chamber of Commerce.

Police detained Babul, a painter, on the afternoon of the incident. They said he initially confessed to the killings during questioning, and a knife allegedly used in the attack was recovered based on his information. The victims’ daughter, Selina Sultana, disputed police’s initial suggested motive and alleged a planned killing linked to a longstanding land dispute. Police said they have not yet found evidence supporting her suspicion involving Sirajul Islam.

17 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Police secure four-day remand for Babul Mia in Sylhet triple murder case

Singapore Bangladesh Society (SBS) held a festive Community Family Day for Bangladeshi expatriates amid celebrations of Singapore’s 61st National Day. The daylong event took place Sunday at the seaside East Coast Park, bringing together members of the Bangladeshi community, their families and guests from different countries.

The programme included family-oriented entertainment, sports, cultural performances and activities for children. Organisers also conducted a beach-cleaning programme as part of environmental and social responsibility efforts. The activities highlighted the Bangladeshi community’s engagement with wider Singaporean society and its sense of social responsibility.

The main attraction was the traditional mezban of Chattogram, Bangladesh’s port city, which drew nearly 1,000 local and foreign attendees. The event presented the centuries-old culinary tradition and Bangladeshi culture to participants abroad. Since 1981, SBS has worked as a non-profit organisation on welfare, social and cultural activities for Bangladeshis in Singapore, while seeking to strengthen mutual understanding, friendship and cultural ties between the people of Bangladesh and Singapore.

17 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Bangladesh Society’s Singapore family day featured Chittagong’s traditional mezban and beach cleanup

Kushtia Sadar lawmaker Mufti Amir Hamza said extortion would not be allowed in his constituency, speaking at a Jamaat-e-Islami rally at Kushtia city’s Six Roads intersection on Sunday after Asr prayers. The protest march and gathering were organised in response to an attack on Hamza, according to the source.

Hamza told residents not to pay anyone demanding money and said those seeking payments should be referred to him. He said he was attacked with intent to kill despite police vehicles being in front of and behind him, and described the alleged attackers as terrorists. He also said Jamaat-e-Islami, Islami Chhatra Shibir and Kushtia’s “Tawhidi public” would not allow terrorist activities.

Addressing the administration, Hamza urged officials not to serve any political party and to work for the public, warning local officials that they would be forced to leave if they did not do so. Kushtia-4 lawmaker Afzal Hossain condemned the attack. Earlier, Jamaat activists gathered at the district commissioner’s office and marched through main roads before the rally.

17 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

MP Amir Hamza vows to stop extortion at a protest rally in Kushtia

Bangladesh Bank has granted special permission to SS Power-1 Limited, an S Alam Group company, to open letters of credit for importing raw materials. Under a directive issued on Sunday, the company may open LCs through Rupali Bank only for raw-material imports after depositing a 100 percent margin. The measure addresses legal complications that arose because the S Alam Group is a loan defaulter.

The directive says Section 27KaKa(3) of the Bank Company Act will not apply to SS Power-1 Limited until December 31, 2027. Under that provision, an affiliated company cannot receive loans or credit facilities when its group is classified as a loan defaulter. A Bangladesh Bank official said the SS Power plant is currently shut and that the facility was granted under a government decision considering the current electricity shortage.

Bangladesh Bank issued the special directive after receiving approval from the Finance Ministry. The directive also states that neither the government nor Bangladesh Bank will assume liability for any loan or financing provided under the arrangement. Lender banks or financial institutions will not be able to seek future financial support from either authority against such loans. Earlier, Shinepukur Ceramics Limited and Abdul Monem Sugar Refinery received similar facilities.

17 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Bangladesh Bank allows SS Power-1 to open raw-material import LCs with full margin

Iran’s military has announced a reward of $30,000, or the equivalent of 500 crore tomans, for anyone who kills or captures US military personnel and hands them over to Iranian forces. Iranian army chief Amir Hatami said Iranian women who carry out such an act would receive double the reward. The announcement was reported on August 16, 2026.

According to Iran’s state news agency IRNA, Hatami said the plan was developed after receiving “numerous requests” to participate in this financial assistance. He described US military personnel as “intruding” and said the Islamic Republic of Iran Army would provide the payment to anyone who kills or captures them and transfers them to Iranian authorities.

Hatami did not provide details on where or when killings or captures of US troops were expected to occur. The report said there has been no known direct deployment of US ground forces in Iran during the ongoing Middle East war. It noted, however, that an operation was known to have been conducted in April to rescue a downed US pilot.

17 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Iran announces $30,000 reward for killing or capturing US military personnel

Pope Leo called for an end to violence against Palestinians in the occupied West Bank amid increased attacks and violence by extremist Jewish settlers. Speaking after Sunday midday prayers in Castel Gandolfo, outside Rome, he renewed his appeal to halt repeated violence against Palestinian civilians in the West Bank.

Human rights groups said settlers surrounded Palestinian homes after water and electricity connections were cut, describing this as a planned effort to seize more Palestinian land and expand Jewish settlements. Pope Leo also urged the international community to take urgent action to advance a two-state solution for a just and lasting peace.

The Vatican has long supported the concept of a future Palestinian state, including Gaza, the West Bank and East Jerusalem. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's right-wing coalition government is overseeing extensive settlement construction in the West Bank. Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said the aim of the construction is to bury the idea of establishing a Palestinian state. The United Nations and most governments consider the settlements illegal under international law, while Israel argues the territory is disputed rather than occupied.

17 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Pope Leo urges an end to West Bank violence and action toward a two-state solution

Mohammad Rubel, the elder brother of slain Mamun Mia, gave testimony as the 11th witness in a crimes against humanity case over the killing of 28 people in Rampura during the July revolution. He testified on Sunday before International Crimes Tribunal-1 in a case against Border Guard Bangladesh officer Lieutenant Colonel Redowanul Islam and three others. Rubel said Mamun was a master’s student in political science at Government Titumir College.

Rubel said he learned from a neighbour, Nirab, at 2pm on July 11 that Mamun had been shot and was at the Neuroscience Hospital. He said a bullet entered through the back of Mamun’s head and exited above his left eye. Mamun underwent surgery, was placed on life support, and was declared dead by the attending doctor at 11:30am on July 19.

Citing Mamun’s roommate Parvez, Rubel said Mamun went outside on July 18 because there was no electricity or internet. He said Border Guard Bangladesh and police fired in the area of Rampura Wapda Road, where Mamun was shot. Rubel said Parvez took him first to Better Life Hospital, then to Mugda Hospital, and finally to the Neuroscience Hospital. He demanded justice for those he named as responsible.

17 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Brother testifies in Rampura killings case over Mamun Mia’s shooting and death

La Liga's 2026-27 season has begun with Sevilla facing Rayo Vallecano, but Real Madrid and Barcelona will not play during the opening week. Their first-round fixtures were postponed until the final week of August because of player fatigue after the recently concluded World Cup and FIFA's mandatory rest policy.

The report said Spain's World Cup victory over Argentina on July 19, along with the participation of several Real and Barcelona players in the tournament's semifinals, created physical and mental pressure on the players. Under Spanish football's collective bargaining agreement, players from a country that reaches the semifinals must receive minimum preseason preparation and sufficient rest.

An agreement between the Spanish players' union and La Liga authorities approved a 10-day delay. Real begin against Espanyol on August 22 before playing Real Sociedad on August 26. Defending champions Barcelona open against Elche on August 23 and face Athletic Bilbao in their rescheduled first-round match on August 27.

17 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Real Madrid and Barcelona open La Liga in round two after first-round postponements

The government has issued a notification cancelling the 2026 essential medicines list and the allopathic drug pricing method, following a cabinet decision. The notification was issued on 16 August by the Drug Administration branch of the Health Services Division under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, and was signed by Senior Assistant Secretary Rafiquzzaman.

The two cancelled notifications had been issued on 22 January and published in the gazette on 29 January. The cabinet decided to revoke them at its 3 August meeting chaired by Prime Minister Tarique Rahman. The Cabinet Division said the National Drug Advisory Council had not been consulted before the measures were formulated, despite a requirement under the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 2023.

The legality of the January list and pricing method was challenged before the High Court and remains under consideration. A National Drug Advisory Council was formed on 29 June, and the cabinet approved a proposal to include the director general of the Directorate General of Health Services in it. The 1994 essential medicines list and government pricing system will remain in force while the list is updated.

17 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Government cancels 2026 essential medicines list and pricing method

Iranian Army Chief Major General Amir Hatami issued a sharp warning to US President Donald Trump in response to Trump’s reported threat to turn the Strait of Hormuz into US territory. The remarks were reported on August 16, 2026, with Al Jazeera cited by the source.

According to Iran’s state broadcaster IRIB, Hatami criticized Trump’s comments about the strait. He said joking about such remarks was a major mistake because it was Iran and it had guards who would break Trump’s legs. His comments directly addressed the reported threat concerning the strategic waterway.

Hatami also said US forces had been “effectively expelled” and no longer had permission to enter the Persian Gulf, the Sea of Oman, or the Strait of Hormuz. He said US bases would not be allowed to return to their previous position and that Iran would never permit this. The report said Trump had threatened to make the strait US territory.

17 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Iran’s army chief warns Trump over his reported threat to claim the Strait of Hormuz

The Directorate of Secondary and Higher Education has finalized preparations to receive transfer applications from MPO-listed teachers working at private schools and colleges. Under a draft plan, applications are scheduled to open on August 21 and continue through August 27. An official notice will be issued only after approval from the education ministry.

The director general of the directorate, Professor Dr Khan Moinuddin Al Mahmud Sohel, met Education Minister Dr A N M Ehsanul Haque Milon on Sunday to discuss the matter. The meeting decided that a notice should be issued quickly to begin accepting transfer requests. The director general is expected to submit the draft to the ministry on Monday, and the notice could be published this week if approval is granted.

The draft allows seven days for submissions, followed by screening that may take seven to 10 days. Teachers may apply only for their own district, their spouse's home district, or their spouse's workplace. The software will not accept applications outside these three areas and will display a notification stating that the applicant is ineligible.

17 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Draft plan sets MPO teacher transfer applications from August 21 to 27, pending ministry approval


The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.