Rajshahi district BNP activists say frustration is growing because a convening committee formed for three months has remained in place for nearly eight years. The 41-member committee was announced on July 6, 2019, with Abu Sayeed Chand as convener and Bishwanath Sarkar as member secretary. Grassroots leaders fear the prolonged absence of a full committee or a replacement convening body could weaken the party ahead of upcoming local government elections.
Party sources say the district BNP has 23 organisational units. Although 17 units have held conferences, full committees have not been announced for all of them, while several units have not held conferences for years. Sources also allege differences between Chand and Sarkar over organisational matters, including union committees, though Sarkar denied any significant dispute.
Chand said the committee had played an important role in political movements and that committees had been formed through councils in nearly all 23 units, with the rest to be completed soon. Central BNP organiser Syed Shaheen Shawkat said organisational activity was disrupted by cases, attacks, harassment and mass arrests from 2019 to 2024, and that decisions on expired committees would be made after discussions with central leaders.