A report by Amar Desh said at least 537 people lost vision after gunshot injuries over 20 days from July 17 to August 5, 2024, during the July unrest in Bangladesh. Citing the July Martyrs Memorial Foundation and the National Institute of Ophthalmology Hospital, it said 44 people lost sight in both eyes and 493 permanently lost vision in one eye. The report attributed the shootings to the police force of the then government.
Among the 44 people who lost vision in both eyes were 13 students, five businesspeople, four drivers, four employees, two workers and one homemaker; the occupations of 15 were not known. Retina department assistant professor Dr Zakia Sultana Neela testified at International Crimes Tribunal-1 last August that 864 people with eye gunshot injuries had been admitted to the hospital during the movement.
Injured people including Sabbir Ahmad, Durjoy Ahmed, Mizanur Rahman and Nilu Parvin described difficulties with treatment, mobility and supporting their families. They said state allowances were insufficient and alleged shortcomings in rehabilitation and official recognition. They called for implementation of the July Charter, employment opportunities, rehabilitation and appropriate state recognition. Foundation chief executive Kamal Akbar said many injured people still endure pain from pellets lodged in their eyes.