The Pentagon has removed the names of four US service members killed after the recent escalation between the United States and Iran from the main official war casualty list, according to an Associated Press report cited by Al Jazeera on July 27. The four personnel were moved from the primary list into a different category.
Military officials had previously cited the Defense Casualty Analysis System as the main source for conflict casualty information. Last week, the four dead service members and several injured personnel were removed from that system’s main list. Pentagon documents now show the cases under a new heading, “foreign operations.”
The new list includes the four dead service members and information on 207 injured personnel, though it remains unclear whether all those listed were directly wounded in the Iran war. Pentagon press secretary Joel Valdez said the reduced figures resulted from errors and temporary data disruptions, adding that the problem was being addressed quickly. The AP report said the Pentagon has held no formal war briefing since early May, while US Central Command has stopped providing journalists with regular casualty updates.