US President Donald Trump has threatened what he called the “toughest economic campaign” against Iran, warning that financial institutions, businesses, airports and government bodies that assist Tehran could face severe economic consequences. The report, published on August 21, 2026, says Iran’s foreign minister dismissed the threat as an attempt to divert attention from problems within the United States.
Legal experts say Washington cannot impose a complete trade embargo on other countries without approval from the UN Security Council. International and trade law specialist Shantanu Singh said no country has the authority to impose comprehensive commercial sanctions on Iran or another country without such approval. Georgetown University in Qatar associate professor Paul Musgrave said imposing economic consequences on countries trading with Iran would be very difficult for Trump.
Analysts say previous sanctions have not fully stopped Iranian trade. China bought more than 80 percent of Iran’s seaborne oil exports last year, while Turkey, Pakistan and Iraq continue trading with Iran. The UAE has announced an indefinite trade embargo, alleging missile attacks from Iranian territory, a step analysts consider significant given Iran’s reliance on UAE commercial and financial access.