Web Analytics
Bangla
Loading date...
RECENT THREADS SOCIAL PAGE LOGIN
FIFA has abandoned a plan to sell minority stakes in commercial rights linked to major events, including the World Cup, to outside investors. Despite the reversal, pressure on FIFA president Gianni Infantino is growing, according to a report published on August 2. UEFA and Concacaf welcomed the withdrawal in separate statements but called for a comprehensive review of FIFA's overall leadership.

UEFA described the reversal as a victory for the football world while accusing Infantino of breaking commitments made when he was first elected in 2016. It said the current leadership had lost the confidence of many members of the football family and criticized an attempted opaque deal. Concacaf said unilateral actions and serious irregularities represented a pattern of mistakes, calling for an immediate full review. The Asian Football Confederation expressed solidarity with UEFA and Concacaf.

FIFA had planned to use a commercial affiliate, FIFA Forward Enterprise, to sell stakes in top events. The proposal leaked on Tuesday, prompting UEFA to threaten a World Cup boycott. On Friday, chief operating officer Kevin Lamour said FIFA's administration had been misled with incorrect information. Senior Infantino adviser Carlos Cordeiro resigned, accepting responsibility. Infantino is expected to seek a fourth term at FIFA Congress in March.

Card image

Related Videos

logo
No data found yet!

The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.