The annual US-South Korea Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise is ending on Friday ahead of schedule after President Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon to reduce it “significantly,” the report said. About 18,000 South Korean troops, along with US forces and personnel from 11 allied countries, had been participating. Trump described the drills as inappropriate and hostile toward North Korea and costly for the United States.
South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun said the move resulted from mutual understanding between the two countries, while acknowledging that South Korean officials had not been informed in advance of Trump’s decision to scale back the exercise. Atlantic Council senior fellow Joe B. Yun said the unilateral and sudden decision could strain South Korean confidence in the United States.
The report said concerns have grown that Washington could also reduce its roughly 27,000 troops stationed in South Korea or alter its longstanding policy of seeking North Korea’s denuclearization without consulting Seoul. North Korea launched ballistic missiles toward Japan days before the exercise and again on Thursday. Pyongyang said reducing the drills was not an issue deserving its interest or comment.