The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
A Dhaka court has ordered the seizure of income tax records belonging to former State Minister for Posts, Telecommunications and Information Technology Zunaid Ahmed Palak and his wife Arifa Jesmin Konika. The order was issued on Monday afternoon by Dhaka Metropolitan Senior Special Judge Md Sabbir Faiz, following a petition from the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC). The ACC’s Assistant Director Minhaj Bin Islam sought the seizure, citing allegations that Palak abused his power and amassed illegal wealth through irregularities and corruption.
According to the petition, preliminary investigations found assets worth about Tk 9.98 crore inconsistent with their known income sources. The couple allegedly maintained 31 bank accounts showing deposits of Tk 22.94 crore and withdrawals of Tk 17.58 crore, which the ACC suspects fall under money laundering activities. The commission argued that collecting original tax documents from the 2008–2009 to 2024–2025 fiscal years was essential to prevent concealment or transfer of assets.
The ACC stated that the investigation is being conducted under sections of the Anti-Corruption Commission Act, 2004, and the Money Laundering Prevention Act, 2012. The court approved the seizure to ensure a fair investigation.
Dhaka court orders seizure of Palak and wife’s tax files in ACC corruption probe
Islamic TV Managing Director Barrister Shams Iskandar announced that the channel will provide video evidence of the Shapla Chattar massacre to the International Crimes Tribunal. He made the statement on Monday after meeting with the tribunal’s Chief Prosecutor. Iskandar said that Islamic TV’s camera crew and news team were present at the site during the Hefazat-e-Islam rally and broadcasted the events live. Later that night, law enforcement personnel allegedly raided and vandalized the channel’s office, damaging broadcasting equipment and shutting down operations.
According to Iskandar, the Chief Prosecutor asked the channel to safeguard all available evidence, which prosecutors would later collect for investigation. He added that the channel had been accused of provocative coverage, but he denied the allegation, stating that the broadcast reflected real-time events. He claimed the closure of Islamic TV was due to family reasons rather than incitement. When asked about testifying, Iskandar said he was willing to do so if requested by the prosecution, emphasizing the importance of justice.
The submission of the footage is expected to support the tribunal’s ongoing investigation into the Shapla Chattar incident.
Islamic TV to hand Shapla Chattar massacre footage to International Crimes Tribunal
Allegations of irregularities have surfaced in a goat distribution program for poor ethnic minority families in Kalmakanda upazila of Netrokona. The incident occurred on Monday, May 18, during a distribution event organized by the upazila livestock office. Reports claim that iron rings weighing about 1.7 kilograms were inserted into the weighing meter to artificially increase the goats’ recorded weight, leading to tension between beneficiaries and contractor representatives.
Staff member Rahat stated that the digital weighing machine belonged to the office and was used for the first time that day, suggesting the rings might have been inserted by mistake during fitting. Beneficiaries later found that some goats weighed only 3.5 to 6 kilograms, below the required minimum of 8 kilograms. Several recipients and locals reportedly confined officials in a room demanding accountability.
Upazila Livestock Officer Dr. Kanika Sarker said the main contractor did not attend directly and that goats with weight discrepancies would be replaced. The Upazila Nirbahi Officer SM Islam confirmed that the allegations are being investigated and that action will be taken if irregularities are proven.
Irregularities alleged in goat distribution for ethnic families in Netrokona’s Kalmakanda
Iran has reportedly sent a new 14-point proposal to the United States through Pakistan, aiming to ease ongoing tensions and prevent further escalation. According to Iran’s Tasnim news agency, the proposal seeks to end the war situation and build mutual trust between the two countries. It includes provisions related to security guarantees, lifting of blockades, and reducing regional tensions.
The report stated that Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi extended his visit to Tehran for a third day, which is being viewed as part of efforts to advance regional peace discussions. The initiative highlights Pakistan’s role as a mediator in facilitating communication between Tehran and Washington during a period of heightened strain.
While details of the proposal’s reception or next steps were not disclosed, the move indicates a renewed diplomatic effort by Iran to de-escalate conflict and promote dialogue through regional channels.
Iran sends 14-point peace proposal to the US via Pakistan to ease tensions
Hasnat Abdullah, the chief organizer for the southern region of the National Citizens Party (NCP) and a member of parliament, urged that every wall in Chattogram display July-themed graffiti by the end of the day. He made the statement in a Facebook post on Monday afternoon.
Following his call, tensions reportedly rose between activists of the BNP and NCP over the July graffiti issue in Chattogram. In response, the local administration issued a public notice on Monday morning prohibiting all types of gatherings and rallies from GEC Mor to Dewanhat. The restriction aims to prevent potential unrest linked to the dispute.
The situation underscores growing political friction in the city, with authorities moving quickly to maintain order in key areas.
Hasnat Abdullah urges July graffiti across Chattogram as authorities ban gatherings
A Dhaka court has fixed July 2 as the new date for submitting the investigation report in the Bangladesh Bank reserve theft case. The order was issued on Monday by Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Joshita Islam after the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) failed to submit the report on the previously scheduled date. This marks the 95th time the report submission has been postponed.
The case stems from the February 5, 2016 theft of 81 million US dollars from Bangladesh Bank’s account at the Federal Reserve Bank of the United States. The stolen funds were transferred to the Philippines through fraudulent use of the SWIFT system. Investigators believe that a domestic group assisted the hackers in laundering the stolen money.
The case was filed on March 15, 2016 by Zobayer Bin Huda, Deputy Director of the Accounts and Budgeting Department of Bangladesh Bank, under the Money Laundering Prevention Act 2012 (amended 2015) and sections 54 and 379 of the Information and Communication Technology Act 2006. The CID is currently conducting the investigation.
Court delays Bangladesh Bank reserve theft report submission to July 2 after 95 postponements
A student-led graffiti painting campaign linked to the July Movement was disrupted by police in Chattogram on May 18, 2026. Around 15 to 20 students gathered at Tigerpass intersection after 1 p.m. to paint graffiti but were stopped by police. The students expressed frustration, claiming that the city corporation’s removal of July Movement graffiti was an attempt to erase the movement from public memory.
Tensions had been rising in Chattogram since Sunday evening after earlier graffiti was removed, leading to confrontations between BNP and NCP activists. Both groups had announced separate graffiti programs from Lalkhan Bazar to Tigerpass. To prevent unrest, authorities imposed Section 144 from GEC intersection to Dewanhat and deployed additional police. BNP and NCP leaders later suspended their programs in compliance with the order.
Deputy Police Commissioner (South) Hossain Mohammad Kabir Bhuiyan stated that no gatherings were allowed under Section 144 and that no untoward incidents occurred, though some verbal exchanges took place when students resisted police inquiries.
Police stop student graffiti campaign in Chattogram under Section 144 restrictions
Qatar has expressed interest in recruiting skilled workers from Bangladesh in four technical sectors: electrician, welding, air conditioning technician, and plumbing. The development was discussed during a meeting in Dhaka between Qatar’s visiting Labour Minister Ali bin Saeed bin Samikh Al Marri and Bangladesh’s Expatriates’ Welfare and Overseas Employment Minister Ariful Haque Chowdhury. Following the meeting, Chowdhury said Qatar is now prioritizing skilled manpower over unskilled labor, and Bangladesh is preparing to send trained workers accordingly.
The ministers also discussed expanding Qatar’s visa processing facilities in Bangladesh, as the country currently has only one visa center. Dhaka requested additional centers to reduce public inconvenience, and Qatar assured that the issue would be considered seriously. The matter is expected to be finalized in the upcoming joint working group meeting between the two nations.
State Minister Md. Nurul Haque noted that Qatar also showed interest in hiring Bangladeshi workers for religious professions such as imams and muezzins, alongside the four technical sectors. Both sides described the talks as positive and aimed at strengthening bilateral labor cooperation.
Qatar to hire skilled Bangladeshi workers in four technical sectors, promises visa center expansion
Iran will not engage in any discussion or compromise over its right to enrich uranium, Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei said on May 18, 2026. He stated that the right to uranium enrichment is recognized under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), which allows countries to use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes but not for weapons development.
Responding to a question about conditions exchanged between the United States and Iran, Baghaei said Iran’s demands are clear. He noted that while the U.S. considers lifting sanctions on Iran’s frozen assets as a condition, Tehran views it as a legitimate demand. He also remarked that the United States is no longer credible in the international arena.
Baghaei further urged regional countries, including the United Arab Emirates, to learn from recent events, adding that U.S. presence in the region has made the situation more unstable rather than bringing peace.
Iran refuses to compromise on uranium enrichment rights under NPT, says foreign ministry spokesman
At least six Palestinians were killed and forty others injured in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza within the past 24 hours, according to the Gaza Health Ministry. The ministry reported that some victims remain trapped under rubble or stranded on roads, while rescue and ambulance teams have not yet reached several affected areas.
Since the start of the so-called ceasefire that began in October, a total of 877 people have been killed and 2,602 injured, the ministry added. The report highlights ongoing violence and humanitarian challenges despite the declared truce.
The situation underscores the continued instability in Gaza, with limited access for emergency services and rising civilian casualties reported by local authorities.
Six killed and forty injured in Gaza as Israeli strikes continue amid fragile ceasefire
National Parliament Whip Miah Nuruddin Ahmed Apu has issued a strict directive prohibiting the setup of temporary cattle markets on the grounds or campuses of educational institutions in Shariatpur district ahead of Eid-ul-Azha. He made the announcement on May 17 during a meeting with officials in Damudya upazila, emphasizing that schools and colleges are centers for education and moral development, not for commercial activities.
The Whip stated that in previous years, cattle markets were often established on school, college, and madrasa grounds, causing damage to grass fields and infrastructure, environmental pollution, and disruption of academic activities. To preserve the normal environment for students’ learning and sports, he declared that no such markets would be allowed this year.
He further instructed local administration, municipalities, and upazila authorities to strictly monitor compliance. Apu warned that any individual or group attempting to use educational premises for cattle markets would face legal action, stressing that these grounds are public assets that must be protected.
Whip bans cattle markets on school grounds in Shariatpur before Eid-ul-Azha
The United States could restart military operations against Iran within the next 24 to 48 hours, according to Mohammad Elmasry, a media studies professor at the Doha Institute for Graduate Studies. Speaking to Al Jazeera, Elmasry said US President Donald Trump is under pressure from multiple sides, including Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and hardliners within his administration.
Elmasry explained that Trump did not receive the concessions he expected from Iran, and negotiations have not progressed as he had hoped. He also noted that Trump had high expectations from his recent meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping. The analyst described the ongoing conflict as a major political and economic disaster for both the United States and Trump personally.
Despite the setbacks, Elmasry believes Trump is unlikely to end the war because he cannot return to the American public without declaring a credible victory.
Analyst says US may resume military action against Iran within 48 hours
Jamaat-e-Islami Secretary General Mia Golam Porwar held a meeting with Bangladeshi expatriates in Malaysia on Sunday at Al Daud Arabic Restaurant. During the discussion, expatriates shared their concerns about excessive fees charged by the Dhaka-based Expert Service Kuala Lumpur (ESKL) for passport services, high costs of overseas employment, election irregularities, banking complications, legalization of undocumented Bangladeshis, and harassment at Bangladeshi airports.
In response, Mia Golam Porwar condemned the reported irregularities, corruption, and harassment, assuring that these issues would be raised strongly in parliament by the opposition. He said pressure would be applied on the government to take effective measures to ease expatriates’ hardships and ensure their rights. Porwar emphasized that expatriates play a vital role in Bangladesh’s economy and that the state has a duty to guarantee their dignity, safety, and access to services.
Community leader Abu Abdullah urged expatriates to prioritize lawful earnings and avoid any form of irregular or illegal activities, reaffirming continued community support for them.
Jamaat leader meets Bangladeshi expatriates in Malaysia to address their grievances and rights
Home Minister Salahuddin Ahmed announced that the government is drafting a new law to formally establish an elite force for public security, under which the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) will continue to operate. Speaking at RAB headquarters on Monday, May 18, during the force’s 22nd founding anniversary, he said the current ad hoc arrangement for RAB is not appropriate and that the new law will ensure human rights, transparency, and accountability.
Ahmed explained that the government is considering whether to rename RAB or raise a new elite force, but the decision is still under review. He emphasized that the forthcoming law will guarantee both authority and responsibility within the force, ensuring transparency and accountability in all operations. The minister said the initiative aims to uphold the rule of law and meet public expectations for safety.
Addressing questions about U.S. sanctions on RAB, Ahmed stated that some officers’ past actions had harmed the institution, but individual misconduct should not implicate the entire organization. He expressed hope that if the force is restructured or renamed, the sanctions might be reconsidered.
Bangladesh plans new law to formalize RAB as elite force ensuring accountability and human rights
Iran’s national football team has departed for Turkey as part of preparations to complete visa procedures for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, according to Iranian media reports. The Tasnim news agency stated that the team traveled to Antalya to play a preparatory friendly match and to finalize their U.S. visa applications. The squad includes 22 players from the domestic league along with coaching staff. Head coach Amir Ghalenoei confirmed that visa applications for travel to the United States would be completed during their stay in Turkey.
U.S. authorities have indicated that Iran faces no restrictions on participating in the tournament. FIFA has also confirmed that the 2026 World Cup will proceed as scheduled and rejected proposals to move some of Iran’s matches to Mexico or Canada. Iran had previously suggested relocating its matches from the United States to co-host nations, but that request was not accepted.
The team’s stay in Turkey is expected to facilitate both match preparation and the completion of necessary travel documentation for the upcoming tournament.
Iran team in Turkey to complete U.S. visa process for 2026 World Cup
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.