The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
A Dhaka court ordered folk singer, composer and music director Mujib Pardeshi to be shown arrested in another old cheque dishonour case while he remains in jail in a separate case. The Fifth Joint Metropolitan Sessions Judge of Dhaka, Sadik Ahmed, issued the order on Tuesday after an application by the complainant’s side. Pardeshi had been sentenced to one year in prison in the older case nearly 19 years ago.
According to court bench assistant Shah Alam Mia, Pardeshi was sentenced on November 21, 2007, in a case filed by Mojibur Rahman. The sentence included one year of simple imprisonment and a fine of Tk 880,000. Of that amount, Tk 500,000 was to be paid to the complainant and Tk 380,000 deposited in the state treasury.
Case records say Pardeshi took Tk 440,000 in 2003 from Solaiman Sardar, the complainant’s younger brother, promising to take him to the United Kingdom. After failing to do so, he issued two cheques of Tk 220,000 each, which were repeatedly dishonoured for insufficient funds. He was sent to jail on August 4 in another Tk 1 million cheque dishonour case.
Court orders Mujib Pardeshi shown arrested in an old cheque dishonour case
A court case has been filed against five people over allegations of an attack on Rajshahi University Central Students’ Union general secretary Salahuddin Ammar. The case was filed at the Motihar court of the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate in Rajshahi after discussions with RUCSU leaders, according to a report published on August 18. The accused face allegations including forced entry into an office, assault, attempted murder and vandalism.
The complaint says the incident occurred between about 2:45pm and 3:15pm on July 27 in room 202, the GS office on the second floor of the RUCSU building. Ammar alleged that the accused gathered with iron rods, bamboo and sticks, entered his office and assaulted him. The complaint also alleges that office furniture was damaged, causing estimated losses of about Tk100,000.
RUCSU information and research secretary Nazmus Sakib and Mehdi were also injured when they protested, the application states. Sakib allegedly suffered a bleeding injury to his right hand while blocking an iron-rod attack, while Mehdi was allegedly struck on the left ear with a stick. RUCSU assistant general secretary Salman Sabbir said the court accepted the case and the PBI is investigating it.
Five students face a court case over alleged attack on RUCSU GS Salahuddin Ammar
A Dhaka tribunal has sentenced Md. Imam Hossain to life imprisonment for abducting a seven-year-old girl in South Keraniganj in 2014. Judge Munshi Md. Mashiar Rahman of Dhaka’s Women and Children Repression Prevention Tribunal-4 delivered the verdict on Tuesday afternoon, August 18. The court also fined the defendant Tk100,000 and ordered an additional year of simple imprisonment if he fails to pay.
Tribunal public prosecutor Md. Ershad Alam, known as George, confirmed the verdict. Convicted man Imam Hossain is a resident of Char Mirbagh in South Keraniganj. According to court and case sources, the girl, Imu Akter, was playing in front of her home in the Khejur Bagh area on the morning of October 12, 2014, when the accused allegedly lured her away by offering to show her a fair by the riverbank.
Local people later helped rescue the child, while the accused managed to flee at the time. Her father, Md. Ibrahim Sheikh, filed a case with South Keraniganj police station on the day of the incident. The investigating officer submitted a charge sheet later that year. Hossain was initially absconding but was later arrested, and the court heard testimony from four witnesses during the trial.
Imam Hossain receives life sentence for 2014 child abduction in South Keraniganj
Police in Chikkabanavara, Bengaluru, are investigating the deaths of 34-year-old Abhinandan and his five-year-old son, Yaduveer, as suspected killings. Preliminary police findings indicate that Abhinandan’s wife, Harini, and her alleged lover, Vinay, may have killed him, then allegedly killed the child to prevent the incident from being revealed. The report was published on August 18, 2026.
According to police, Abhinandan and Harini had a heated argument over sleeping arrangements on the night of the incident. Harini allegedly struck him with a wooden ladle or spoon before they went to sleep in separate rooms. Investigators say Harini later called Vinay to the house, where the two allegedly attacked Abhinandan and suffocated him with a pillow. Police believe Yaduveer woke up during the incident and was killed in the same manner.
Investigators suspect efforts were made to destroy evidence, including cleaning bloodstains inside the home and switching off nearby CCTV cameras. Harini has been taken into custody and questioned, police said. Vinay, identified as the main accused, remains absconding, with searches underway near Herohalli and surrounding areas close to Kanakapura. The bodies were sent to the victims’ ancestral village after post-mortem examinations.
Wife questioned and alleged lover sought over deaths of Bengaluru man and five-year-old son
Police have taken 19-year-old Fatema Begum into custody for questioning over allegations that she killed her 14-day-old son in Begumganj, Noakhali. The incident occurred around 10:30pm on Monday at a home near Majumdarhat in Ward 4 of Mirwarishpur ইউনিয়ন. The baby was the son of Sourav Hossain, according to the report.
Local residents said Fatema and Sourav married in November 2025 after a romantic relationship and had experienced marital conflict since then. When the baby went missing on Monday evening, family members questioned Fatema. She initially said someone struck her from behind and took the child, then later said a jinn had taken the baby, prompting relatives to become suspicious.
During a search, the newborn's body was recovered around 10pm from a plastic drum used to store rainwater inside the home. Police said Fatema admitted during questioning that she put the child into the water-filled drum, alleging the baby disturbed her sleep by crying excessively. Begumganj police said Sourav filed a murder case naming Fatema as the accused, and she was to be sent to court in the afternoon.
Mother held over alleged killing of 14-day-old baby in Begumগঞ্জ, Noakhali
An unidentified private-car driver allegedly fired several rounds from a pistol after a parking-related dispute in Bhanga, Faridpur, on Monday night. The incident occurred near the highway police station beside the Bhanga municipal building on the Bhanga-Bhatiapara highway. The driver reportedly fled toward Gopalganj with the car, causing anxiety among local residents.
Local sources said the car, travelling from Dhaka amid light rain, stopped in front of a roadside hotel while traffic was moving slowly. A hotel worker asked the driver to move the vehicle forward. The driver became enraged, while a woman accompanying him allegedly argued with the worker and slapped him, escalating tensions at the scene.
The driver then behaved unusually toward other motorists and the hotel worker before firing through the car window, the report said. Video of the shooting spread on social media, and police reached the location after receiving the information. Bhanga police station officer-in-charge Mizanur Rahman said police learned that the car was heading to Gopalganj and that the case would become clearer after the vehicle is recovered and the driver and companion are identified.
Private-car driver allegedly fired several shots after a parking dispute in Bhanga
An 11-year-old third-grade student, Shipa Moni, was killed after being hit by a speeding bus in Phulbari, Dinajpur, while walking to school with her mother on Tuesday morning. The crash occurred at about 7:45am in the Bus Stand-Bottoli area of Phulbari municipal town on the Dinajpur-Dhaka regional highway. Shipa, daughter of Istamul Haque of North Sujapur village, attended North Point School, where her mother, Rikta Parvin, works as an attendant.
Local residents took Shipa to Phulbari উপজেলা Health Complex after the bus struck her while she was crossing the road. The attending doctor declared her dead, while the hospital emergency department said she had died before reaching the facility. The bus, travelling from Dinajpur toward Birampur, left the scene after the crash. Her death brought grief among relatives, classmates and local residents.
After news of the death spread, residents blocked the Dinajpur-Dhaka regional highway near the health complex at 9am, disrupting traffic and leaving numerous vehicles stranded on both sides. The blockade was withdrawn after an hour following intervention by the উপজেলা administration. Police said the bus involved had been detained, but its driver and assistant remained absconding. Legal action was under process.
Schoolgirl dies after bus crash in Phulbari; protesters block highway and police seize bus
A traffic sergeant assigned to the Pallabi zone detained a suspected snatcher after he allegedly fled with a woman’s bag and mobile phone at Mirpur-12 crossing in the capital. The suspect was identified as Liton Sheikh, 20. The incident occurred near the Mirpur-12 traffic box at about 5:45pm on Monday, August 17, according to Pallabi traffic zone sources.
The sergeant was on duty when he saw a man running away with the woman’s bag and phone. He immediately chased the suspect. Several pedestrians came forward to assist the traffic sergeant during the pursuit, and the suspect was eventually apprehended.
Liton Sheikh was later handed over to Pallabi Police Station. The recovered bag and mobile phone were returned to the woman concerned, the Pallabi traffic zone sources said. The report was published on August 18, 2026, and updated later the same day.
Traffic sergeant and bystanders detain bag-and-phone snatching suspect in Mirpur-12
Litton Kazi, 32, died by suicide after consuming poison in Lohachura village of Maharajpur ইউনিয়ন, Muksudpur upazila in Gopalganj, amid pressure to repay loan installments, according to the report. His father, Mannan Kazi, 60, later died after seeing his son’s body, reportedly from cardiac arrest caused by overwhelming grief. The two were buried after a joint funeral at 10 pm on August 17.
Local and police sources said Litton had taken loans from several NGOs, including Bureau Bangladesh, CARSA and BRAC. On Sunday, he argued with an NGO worker after being pressured to pay an installment. The report said he consumed poison afterward, citing humiliation. Family members first took him to Muksudpur উপজেলা Health Complex before he was referred to Faridpur Medical College Hospital, where he died.
After legal procedures by Muksudpur police, Litton’s body was brought home the following Monday. Police said they had instructed relatives to take the body to the Faridpur morgue for an inquest report before it was returned. Village police officer Bacchu Sheikh and Maharajpur ইউনিয়ন acting chairman Jahid Hossain confirmed the incident.
A son's death amid installment-payment pressure was followed by his father's death from grief
A seventh-grade student opened fire inside a classroom at Antonio de Zamboanga High School in Zamboanga City, Philippines, on Tuesday morning, killing two people. City Mayor Khaimar Adan Olaso told DZMM radio that both victims were students at the school. The mayor said the student who fired the gun was among those killed.
Regional police spokesperson Shelami Cheng said security personnel were trying to cordon off the school, but provided no further details about the operation or the incident. Witnesses identified the site as Antonio de Zamboanga High School, while journalists at the scene also reported that the alleged shooter was a seventh-grade student.
Authorities have not said how the student obtained the weapon or how it was brought into the classroom. Police have also not provided information on the reason for the shooting or the student's possible motive. The regional police spokesperson said security forces were continuing efforts to surround the school.
Two students, including the alleged seventh-grade shooter, were killed at a school in Zamboanga
A case has been filed over allegations that Nakshi Resort in Cox’s Bazar city’s Lighthouse area was seized around 3am on Monday night. Former student wing leader Advocate Al Amin was named the main accused in the case filed by Israt Jahan Chowdhury, wife of resort owner Abdur Rashid Chowdhury. Five people were named, including Cox’s Bazar district Awami League executive committee member Badrul Hasan Milky.
According to the complaint, 10 to 12 unidentified people allegedly led by Al Amin took control of the resort during the night. The complainant alleged that, after failing to obtain Tk 1 million in extortion money, the accused had first occupied four flats and an 800-square-foot ground-floor shop at Milky Resort. Police went to the scene after receiving a call through the national emergency service 999.
Police arrested Mahfuz Shakil at the scene, and the Cox’s Bazar Sadar Model Police Station officer-in-charge said he is the second accused in the case. The resort owner alleged Al Amin had not paid rent and had occupied the flats and shop. Al Amin denied the allegations, called Abdur Rashid a fraud, and said a longstanding dispute exists over ownership of the resort land.
Former student wing leader Al Amin named main accused in Cox’s Bazar resort seizure case
Bangladesh’s International Crimes Tribunal has requested an Interpol Red Notice against retired General Aziz Ahmed to bring him back to the country in a crimes-against-humanity case. The case concerns the operation at a Hefazat-e-Islam rally at Shapla Chattar in Motijheel, Dhaka, on May 5, 2013, and a shooting incident in Siddhirganj, Narayanganj, the following day. Chief Prosecutor Md Aminul Islam confirmed the move to journalists on August 18.
A letter signed by the chief prosecutor asked for necessary action under relevant Interpol rules to issue the notice. It was sent to the inspector general of Bangladesh Police and the additional inspector general of the Interpol National Central Bureau at police headquarters. The letter also requested updates on progress and asked that the tribunal prosecution be informed when necessary.
Aminul Islam said this was the first effort to use Interpol to return a fugitive accused in the Shapla Chattar killings case. Prosecutors have learned that Aziz Ahmed may have fled to the Middle East or another country, he said. The prosecution expects that his return would allow him to face trial and plans similar steps for other accused people abroad.
Tribunal seeks an Interpol Red Notice to bring retired general Aziz Ahmed back to Bangladesh
Dhaka Metropolitan Police arrested 488 people and filed 55 cases during regular operations across the capital over the past 24 hours, according to a report published on August 18, 2026. Police conducted the drives in areas under different police stations in Dhaka and made the arrests while recovering weapons, drugs and other evidence.
Mirpur Division recorded the highest number of arrests, with 153 people detained, followed by Motijheel with 61 and Tejgaon with 59. Gulshan arrested 49 people, Wari 47, Uttara 41, Lalbagh 33 and Ramna 30. The Detective Branch arrested 10 people, while the Counter Terrorism and Transnational Crime unit arrested five.
Items recovered during the operations included two foreign pistols, two magazines, 12 rounds of ammunition, 11 kilograms of cannabis and 16,222 yaba pills. Police also recovered a switch gear, two handcuffs, a toy pistol, an electric tracker, two walkie-talkies, a weighing machine, 19 mobile phones, 28 SIM cards and Tk1,400 in cash. One victim was rescued. Legal proceedings against those arrested are ongoing.
DMP arrests 488 people and files 55 cases in a 24-hour operation across Dhaka
Two young truck workers died after their motorcycle fell into an under-construction culvert on the Chapainawabganj-Sonamasjid highway in Muslimpur, Shahbazpur Union of Shibganj upazila. The crash occurred at about 5:15am on Tuesday, according to Shibganj police sub-inspector Khokon Chandra Bhowmik. The victims were residents of Baliyadighi village in the same union.
The deceased were identified as 20-year-old Habibur Rahman, son of Sadikul Islam, and 35-year-old Abul Hayat, son of Jamir Uddin. Both men worked as truck labourers. Police said they were returning to their Baliyadighi homes by motorcycle after completing truck labour work in Kansat when the vehicle lost control and fell below the culvert.
Passers-by rescued the two injured men and took them to Shibganj Upazila Health Complex for treatment. The duty doctor declared both men dead. Bhowmik said the bodies were handed over to relatives because the families did not file any complaint.
Two truck workers die after their motorcycle falls into an under-construction culvert in Shibganj
Satkhira district police removed Sadar police station Officer-in-Charge Masudur Rahman and attached him to the police lines after a video of banned Awami League leaders and activists inside the station lockup spread on social media. Duty officer Pinky Roy and assistant duty officer Aniva Khatun were also transferred. District police took the decision on Monday, August 18.
Police had arrested four people from Satkhira town's Sultanpur area on August 15, including district Awami League organising secretary Kazi Aktar Hossain and other party and affiliated organisation figures. It was alleged that several Awami League leaders and activists visited the lockup area with special permission from the OC, met the detainees and recorded video. The footage showed a district Tanti League leader making remarks with political slogans.
An unnamed station official said several leaders and activists were at the station around 2:30pm on August 15, and a person wearing an Argentina jersey obtained permission to meet someone and record video; the incident was preserved on CCTV. District Chhatra Dal held a protest and human chain seeking permanent removal and punishment. Additional Superintendent of Police Mithun Sarkar said police did not know about the recording and described the transfers as routine.
Satkhira police remove OC and transfer two officers after custody-video controversy
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.