Web Analytics
Bangla
Loading date...
RECENT THREADS SOCIAL PAGE LOGIN

Indonesia’s North Sumatra province was struck by a magnitude 6.9 earthquake on Saturday evening, 12 hours after a powerful magnitude 7.7 quake hit the country’s east. The new tremor occurred at 5:54 p.m. local time, with its epicentre 7 kilometres northwest of Pematangsiantar, one of North Sumatra’s largest cities. The US Geological Survey said it originated at a depth of 183.2 kilometres.

No major damage or casualties had been reported from the latest quake, and no tsunami warning was issued. Earlier on Saturday, at 5:58 a.m., the magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck offshore, 68 kilometres northwest of Ende in East Nusa Tenggara province. That quake originated just 10 kilometres below the surface and was followed by 341 aftershocks of comparatively lower magnitude.

Indonesia’s weather agency initially issued a tsunami warning after the earlier offshore earthquake but withdrew it after three hours when no tsunami signs were detected. The magnitude 7.7 quake caused reported deaths and damage across eastern Indonesia and other areas, with 47 people killed, at least 54 buildings completely collapsed, and several hundred homes partially damaged.

16 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

A 6.9 earthquake struck North Sumatra 12 hours after Indonesia's deadly 7.7 quake

At least five people have died in severe storms and flooding in the U.S. Midwestern state of Indiana, according to a report published on August 16. People are being rescued by boat from flooded homes as several rivers, including the White River through Indianapolis, have risen above danger levels and inundated surrounding areas.

Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett described the event as the area’s worst flooding in more than 30 years. The U.S. National Weather Service said some locations received more than 280 millimeters of rain in only two days. In Delaware County, authorities recovered the body of a 58-year-old woman on Friday; she is believed to have died while attempting to drive through floodwaters.

A four-year-old child died after a tree fell onto a home in Jennings County. Law enforcement also recovered the body of a teenager who had been missing since jumping into a river on Wednesday. Governor Mike Braun requested a presidential emergency declaration on Friday to secure additional federal help. On Saturday, Braun said President Donald Trump had agreed to approve the request and that the federal government would assist those affected.

16 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

At least five die in Indiana floods as federal assistance is pledged

Bangladesh’s Meteorological Department is operating under severe pressure from staff shortages, a long-running promotion backlog, ageing technology and reduced budget allocations, according to a report published on August 16, 2026. Of 1,338 posts approved under its new organisational structure, only 557 are filled. Many weather observation centres and key divisions are being run by acting officials or extremely limited staffing, affecting the agency’s capacity to provide accurate forecasts and disaster warnings.

The department has 61 observation stations under eight divisional offices, with 24 stations staffed by only one to three people despite round-the-clock operations requiring far more personnel. Officials said recruitment and promotions have been halted since 2013. Stakeholders also raised concerns over the status of the top leadership post and attempts to fill a technical role with administrative cadre officials.

Funding for fiscal year 2026-27 was reduced to Tk 99 crore 51 lakh 72 thousand from Tk 109 crore 19 lakh in the previous year. Three radar systems have become permanently inoperable due to age and maintenance problems, while radar systems in Dhaka and Rangpur remain operational, acting director Mominul Islam said. He said a new organogram and policy had been approved and expressed hope that recruitment, promotions and radar replacement would be addressed soon.

16 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Staff shortages, stalled promotions and failed radar systems deepen Bangladesh weather agency pressures

Extensive jute retting in the Chitra and Nabaganga rivers has caused severe water pollution in Narail, according to a report published on August 16, 2026. Rotting jute has turned previously clear river water black and unusable, while direct connections from Narail town’s drainage system and riverside housing sanitation facilities to the Chitra have compounded the pollution. The foul smell from the stagnant, rotten water has also affected air quality in nearby areas.

Local residents said farmers once retted jute in nearby ditches, canals, ponds, haors and other water bodies that held sufficient water. As those sources disappeared over time, farmers began using the Chitra, Nabaganga and other rivers and canals. Farmers said they know the practice damages river water but lack adequate alternative reservoirs. They also said transporting jute from wetlands to rivers is costly, while river-retted jute is often considered of comparatively better quality.

The report said pollution affects the rivers’ freshwater for about four months from June to September, with low oxygen levels hindering fish reproduction and threatening biodiversity. Environment Banchao Andolon president Shah Alam called for restoring lost water bodies and promoting modern retting methods. Deputy Commissioner Dr Abdul Salam said authorities would coordinate with relevant parties to develop effective alternatives that discourage river retting.

16 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Jute retting and waste links pollute Narail’s Chitra and Nabaganga rivers, threatening fish

Agricultural losses from Switzerland’s ongoing severe drought could exceed the record 500 million Swiss francs reported during the 2003 crisis, Swiss Farmers’ Union president Markus Ritter warned. In remarks reported on August 16, Ritter said he had never seen such an unprecedented drought in his working life. A shortage of soil moisture from the beginning of summer has created an exceptional situation across the country, while prolonged dry weather is placing heavy pressure on farmers.

Potatoes and sugar beet have suffered the greatest impact, while maize production is also expected to decline significantly. Wheat and barley have been comparatively less affected because much of those crops matured and was harvested before the drought intensified. Livestock farmers are facing feed shortages, with many already using fodder reserved for winter to get through summer. Straw prices have risen by as much as 50 percent, adding financial pressure on livestock and dairy farms as pastures deteriorate.

Ritter opposed declaring an emergency, urging farmers not to panic and saying the union remains in close contact with federal authorities. Swiss authorities are flying water to several Alpine pastures and have removed import duties to reduce the cost of imported animal feed. Ritter said discussions with retailers on sharing costs would take place, but acknowledged farmers may ultimately bear much of the loss.

16 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Swiss farm losses from severe drought may exceed the 2003 record

The death toll from a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake in eastern Indonesia rose to 47 after it struck early Saturday, injuring many others and damaging hundreds of homes and public facilities. The United States Geological Survey said the quake hit the Flores region at 5:58 a.m. local time on Saturday, with a depth of only 10 kilometers. Authorities reported that people in several areas fled their homes and took shelter on streets during the strong shaking.

Indonesia's National Disaster Management Agency, BNPB, said 24 deaths were reported in Manggarai Regency, 17 in East Manggarai, three in Sikka, and one each in Ngada and Ende. The earthquake severely damaged 157 houses, moderately damaged 41 and lightly damaged 148. Damage was also reported at 87 educational institutions, 18 health centers, five places of worship and six government offices.

The Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency issued tsunami warnings for several areas before later lifting them. Rescue teams continued recovering and treating injured people, while BNPB sent food and other essential relief supplies to affected areas. Nearly 2,000 people were moved to safer locations. Authorities recorded 111 aftershocks, including one measuring 6.1.

16 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Indonesia's 7.7-magnitude earthquake kills 47 as nearly 2,000 people are evacuated

Five brick kiln owners in Lama upazila of Bandarban district were fined a total of Tk350,000 for cutting hills and endangering the environment. The penalties were imposed during inspections of brick kilns in different locations of the Raimyakhola area from Saturday afternoon to evening. Upazila Nirbahi Officer and Executive Magistrate Md Moin Uddin held a mobile court and issued the fines, according to a report published on August 15.

Sources said nearly 30 brick kilns had been established in various places in Faitong union without any permission. Their owners were allegedly cutting nearby hills and taking soil for brick production. The report identified this activity as causing environmental harm.

The mobile court fined the owners of DBM, MMB, MBI, UBM and ABC brick kilns. Md Moin Uddin said action would be taken in the future against anyone who damages the environment by establishing illegal brick kilns.

16 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Five brick kiln owners in Lama fined Tk350,000 for cutting hills and harming the environment

The death toll from a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake that struck eastern Indonesia on Saturday has risen to 38, according to an official from the country’s disaster management agency. The update was reported on August 15, 2026.

Suharyanto, head of the National Disaster Mitigation Agency, said at a news conference that 38 deaths had been confirmed. He said two people were seriously injured and 11 others sustained minor injuries in the earthquake.

Nearly 2,000 people moved to safer locations on their own after the quake, Suharyanto said. The reported death toll had previously been lower. Rescue and search operations remain under way, and authorities fear the number of fatalities could rise further.

15 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Death toll from eastern Indonesia's 7.7-magnitude earthquake rises to 38

A powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck off Indonesia’s Flores Island at 5:58 a.m. local time on Saturday, killing two people and injuring one, according to the country’s disaster agency. Authorities issued a tsunami warning for affected coastal areas after the quake, which occurred off the coast of Flores in East Nusa Tenggara province.

The United States Geological Survey said the epicentre was about 68 kilometres north and northwest of Ende city, at a depth of 10 kilometres. Three aftershocks were felt within half an hour of the initial quake, with magnitudes of 5.9, 5.6 and 6.1.

Indonesia’s National Disaster Management Agency, BNPB, said a man and a woman were killed at Maumere port, where another person was injured. Local media footage showed extensive damage to the port and other buildings, while areas around Maumere were reported to be severely affected. The Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency, BMKG, urged residents to stay away from beaches and riverbanks and move to higher ground.

15 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Two killed after a 7.7-magnitude quake off Flores; tsunami warning issued

Farmers in five villages across Cumilla’s Adarsha Sadar and Burichang upazilas say nearly 500 acres of agricultural land remain underwater for most of the year, causing major crop losses. The report, published on August 15, 2026, identified affected land in Maheshpur and Palpara of Amratali, and in Sholonal, Chhoygharia and Bhorasar. Farmers who once cultivated three crops annually now struggle to produce even one crop.

Residents alleged that influential people have narrowed the drainage canal by filling sections with soil in an attempt to create plots, while waste from Bhorasar market is regularly dumped into it. The canal runs from Maheshpur through Sholonal to the Payater water body. It has not been properly dredged or cleaned for a long time, they said. Recently planted transplanted Aman rice has submerged, and replanting would double farmers’ costs.

Agriculture officer Mohammad Nizam Uddin said drainage had previously been arranged by cutting soil in several places and that necessary measures would be discussed with the upazila executive officer. Executive officer Fatematuz Johra said an official had been sent for an on-site inspection, with canal excavation and action against those responsible for filling it to follow soon.

15 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Canal filling and market waste leave about 500 acres of Cumilla farmland waterlogged

A powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck Indonesia’s Flores region near Naggeokeo in East Nusa Tenggara province at about 4:58 a.m. local time on Saturday. Residents were initially instructed to move to safer places because of tsunami concerns following the quake. Indonesia’s Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency, known as BMKG, later withdrew the tsunami warning.

The earthquake had a shallow depth of 15 kilometres and was centred about 30 kilometres northeast of Mbay town in Naggeokeo. BMKG said the strong quake created the possibility of a tsunami, prompting warnings for East Nusa Tenggara, South Sulawesi and West Nusa Tenggara provinces.

People in vulnerable areas had been told to evacuate quickly. BMKG said the initial tsunami concern was linked to the earthquake’s shallow depth. After reviewing conditions, the agency issued updated information and formally cancelled the warning, ending the tsunami alert imposed after the 7.7-magnitude earthquake.

15 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Indonesia lifts tsunami warning after a 7.7-magnitude earthquake strikes near Flores

Major wildfires spread across Europe amid record heat, with France detaining 474 people since July 1 over fire incidents, the Interior Ministry said Friday. The European Union described wildfire conditions in several parts of the continent as “extremely extreme.” Fires have also affected Croatia, Germany, Spain, Greece and the United Kingdom, burning homes and prompting evacuations of residents and tourists.

French authorities said 183 of those detained were minors, and about 70 percent were suspected of deliberately starting fires; the remainder faced allegations of unintentionally causing them. More than 525 people were evacuated from Luglon in the Landes department, where a new blaze burned about 1,100 hectares of dry pine forest in less than 24 hours. Around 500 firefighters and six water-dropping aircraft were deployed.

In western Germany, more than 2,000 people left homes near the Huertgen forest fire, while unexploded Second World War ammunition hindered firefighting. Spain evacuated people from 16 towns and villages and moved the remains of three 11th-century Aragon kings from a monastery. Greece evacuated about 500 tourists by small boats. Scientists said climate change is making extreme weather more frequent and intense, increasing wildfire risk through dry soils, heat and strong winds.

15 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Heatwave fuels European wildfires as France detains 474 people over suspected fire incidents

Oil has spilled from the tanker Caroline Bezengi after it became stranded near Al-Kibliyah Island, about 50 kilometres off southern Oman’s coast, raising concerns over long-term environmental damage in the Gulf. The vessel, carrying more than 800,000 barrels of oil, was hit by an explosion near Yemen’s coast on June 8 before grounding in late June. Oil has begun reaching beaches along Oman’s mainland “Turtle Coast.”

Al-Kibliyah is part of Oman’s Halaniyat Islands nature reserve, home to wildlife including Socotra cormorants and humpback whales. Oman’s National Committee for Emergency Management said it was monitoring the incident and its effects. The government estimated that the oil spill covered about 400 square kilometres. The article also cited research estimating that the first 14 days of the Iran war produced more than 5 million tonnes of carbon-dioxide-equivalent emissions.

UK-based maritime risk management firm Ambrey has been hired to salvage the tanker and address the spill. It said an international operation involving rescue vessels, aircraft, specialists and more than 100 tonnes of equipment was under way. With support from the Royal Air Force of Oman, experts have boarded the tanker to assess conditions and stabilize the vessel and cargo. Ambrey said khareef-season weather was complicating operations.

14 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

International teams work to contain oil spilled from a tanker stranded near Oman’s protected islands

State Minister for Public Administration and Food Abdul Bari called for extensive tree planting to address the effects of climate change and ensure a livable environment for future generations. He made the remarks on Friday afternoon, August 14, while inaugurating a programme to plant 5,000 saplings of different species in the Biler Ghat area of Khetlal upazila in Joypurhat.

Bari said trees could be planted in a planned manner beside government facilities, roads and river embankments. Such planting, he said, could protect the environment while also increasing public awareness. He stressed the need for a planned approach to confront the impacts of climate change.

The state minister said planting saplings alone would not be sufficient, and regular care and preservation of planted trees must be ensured. He also emphasized continuing such tree-planting programmes. The inauguration event involved a programme for planting a total of 5,000 saplings of various species in the Biler Ghat area.

14 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Food minister urges planned mass tree planting at Khetlal’s 5,000-sapling programme

At least eight people have died in flooding caused by record rainfall across broad areas east of Tokyo, Japan’s public broadcaster reported Friday. Heavy rain and severe storms struck Chiba Prefecture from Thursday through Friday. The Japan Meteorological Agency said Chiba City, the prefectural capital, recorded about 350 millimetres of rain in just 12 hours.

Chiba’s governor said at a Friday news conference that the rainfall was nearly three times the average precipitation for the entire month of August. It was the highest 12-hour rainfall recorded in the area since records began in 1976. From Thursday night until Friday morning, the weather agency issued its highest Level 5 heavy-rain warning for 22 municipalities in the prefecture.

The agency warned residents of unprecedented heavy rainfall and urged them to move quickly to safe locations. It was Japan’s first Level 5 warning since the warning system was revised earlier this year for greater clarity. Although the alert level was lowered Friday afternoon, rainfall was expected to continue. The downpour caused major disruption to electricity supplies and severely affected transport in several areas.

14 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

At least eight die as record rainfall floods Japan's Chiba prefecture


The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.