The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
On the occasion of the historic National Revolution and Solidarity Day on November 7, BNP’s Acting Chairman Tarique Rahman emphasized the urgent need to ensure free, fair, and participatory elections along with the protection of citizens’ fundamental human rights as essential conditions for establishing genuine democracy in Bangladesh.
In a message signed by BNP Senior Joint Secretary General Ruhul Kabir Rizvi, Tarique Rahman reflected on the 1975 uprising, describing it as a turning point that safeguarded the nation’s sovereignty and marked the rise of nationalist politics opposing domination and autocracy. He stated that the soldiers and masses united on that day to restore democracy and protect national independence, leading to the release of Ziaur Rahman, the proclaimer of independence.
Tarique accused successive authoritarian regimes, especially the current Awami government, of undermining democracy through fascist rule, corruption, repression, and suppression of dissent. He reiterated his call for uniting all nationalist forces to rebuild a democratic Bangladesh grounded in justice, good governance, and sovereignty. He also urged citizens to uphold the spirit of November 7 to defend freedom, culture, and national identity.
Tarique Rahman calls for unity and free elections to uphold democracy and national sovereignty
France-based Bangladeshi YouTuber and political commentator Pinaki Bhattacharya says two masked men tried to set his family’s home in Bogura ablaze around 2:00 a.m. on Tuesday, November 4. The attempt reportedly occurred at the front door of the house, known locally as “Shyamapakhi,” beside the Altafunnesa playground in the Jaleshwaritala area. In a post on his verified Facebook page on Wednesday, November 5, Bhattacharya alleged the act was politically motivated, saying assailants lit materials at the entrance while his elderly mother was inside, and vowed he would not be silenced. Neighbors told reporters they believe the individuals were drug users loitering nearby who left behind paraphernalia after trying to start a fire. Police visited the scene following media reports and the social-media post. Mahfuz Alam, the investigation officer at Bogura Sadar Police Station, said CCTV footage showed two young men outside the house around 2 a.m., adding they might be drug abusers, though all angles are being probed. Superintendent of Police Zedan Al Musa said additional personnel were deployed to guard the residence and that officers are analyzing video evidence to identify the suspects and determine motive. No injuries were reported; damage details were not specified, by authorities as yet.
Police stand guard outside Pinaki Bhattacharya’s ‘Shyamapakhi’ home in Bogura after two masked men allegedly tried to set the front door ablaze at 2 a.m.
Bangladesh’s political landscape has witnessed another surprise move as renowned economist and politician Reza Kibria has officially joined the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP). Confirming the matter to Jugantor on Wednesday, Kibria said he has already filled out the party’s primary membership form and will formally join within a few days. He also expressed his intention to contest the upcoming 13th National Parliamentary Election from the Habiganj-1 constituency under BNP’s traditional election symbol, the ‘Sheaf of Paddy’.
Kibria, the son of former finance minister Shah AMS Kibria, previously served as General Secretary of Gono Forum and later as the convener of the Gono Odhikar Parishad, led by former DUCSU VP Nurul Haque Nur. In 2018, he contested the general election as a candidate of the Jatiya Oikya Front alliance under the same symbol. However, in recent years he distanced himself from active politics following internal divisions within his former party. His re-entry into the BNP marks a significant political development ahead of the next national polls.
Reza Kibria confirms his decision to join BNP and plans to contest from Habiganj-1 with the 'Dhaner Shees’ symbol
The National Citizens Party (NCP) has permanently expelled its central organizer, Muntasir Mahmud, on charges of repeatedly violating party discipline. The decision was announced on Wednesday night (November 5) in an official statement issued by Sadia Farzana Dina from the party’s office cell. According to the statement, Muntasir was temporarily suspended on October 12 and asked to provide a written explanation as to why he should not be permanently removed. Although he submitted a written response on October 14, the NCP leadership deemed his explanation unsatisfactory. Despite previous warnings and an ongoing disciplinary committee investigation, Muntasir continued to breach party protocols. Consequently, under the directive of the party’s Convener Md. Nahid Islam and Member Secretary Akhtar Hossain, Muntasir Mahmud was permanently expelled from the organization.
It is noteworthy that following the July uprising, Muntasir had been appointed as Deputy Director of the Red Crescent on a temporary basis. In mid-October, he staged protests at the organization’s Dhaka headquarters against its chairman, defying NCP’s instructions to refrain from such actions. On October 12, the Red Crescent board, which included NCP advisor Mahfuz’s brother Mahbub Alam, decided to terminate Muntasir’s employment after the incident.
Muntasir Mahmud permanently expelled from NCP for violating party discipline
The Islamic University (IU) administration has temporarily expelled three students for two semesters following their involvement in the assault of campus journalists. The expelled students — Afsana Parvin Tina, Nahid Hasan, and Riaz Morshed — are all from the Department of Economics, 2020–21 academic session. In addition, nine other students from the same department received formal warnings for their indirect involvement in the incident.
The decision, confirmed through four separate office orders signed by Acting Registrar Prof. Dr. Manjurul Haque on November 5, was based on resolutions adopted at the university’s 271st Syndicate meeting on October 30.
The assault took place on July 12 during an inter-session football match among Economics Department students. When several campus journalists attempted to record a brawl, they were physically attacked, and one journalist’s phone was snatched and later recovered with all data erased. Following the attack, the accused students allegedly tried to cover up the incident by spreading false accusations against the journalists, which were later withdrawn.
University authorities stated that the expulsions aim to maintain discipline on campus and prevent recurrence of such misconduct.
The Islamic University (IU) administration has temporarily expelled three students over the incident of assaulting journalists on campus
Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami’s Ameer, Dr. Shafiqur Rahman, re-elected for a third consecutive term, visited his birthplace Sylhet on Wednesday, November 5, where he spoke to journalists about his party’s political stance. Dr. Rahman claimed that Jamaat’s internal election under the PR system demonstrated the highest level of public support. Addressing the issue of alliances, he made it clear that Jamaat has no plan to form any political coalition, though it remains open to electoral understandings with like-minded and patriotic parties. According to him, the goal is to build the nation collectively with those committed to integrity and nationalism.
When asked whether “everyone” includes the ruling Awami League, Dr. Rahman responded by questioning the party’s sincerity toward elections, arguing that forcing them into polls would be unjust. He warned that if the upcoming 13th National Parliamentary Election is not held by February, the country could face instability. During his Sylhet visit, he also discussed issues such as protecting expatriate interests and extending the timeline for the new voter list. Thousands of Jamaat activists in Sylhet welcomed their re-elected leader with a large motorbike and car procession.
Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami’s Ameer, Dr. Shafiqur Rahman, re-elected for a third consecutive term, visited his birthplace Sylhet on Wednesday, November 5, where he spoke to journalists about his party’s political stance
The Government of Bangladesh’s Posts and Telecommunications Division has unveiled the draft of the Bangladesh Telecommunication Ordinance 2025, aiming to modernize the sector and reinforce citizens’ digital rights. The proposed law introduces a landmark ban on internet shutdowns, a measure intended to uphold freedom of connectivity and prevent arbitrary disruption of online access. According to an official press release signed by Muhammad Jasim Uddin on November 5, the draft is now available on the division’s official website for public review and feedback. It also seeks to strengthen transparency, accountability, and governance within the telecommunications industry by updating outdated laws and aligning them with global digital standards. Stakeholders and citizens are invited to submit their opinions via email at secretary@ptd.gov.bd
or by post to the ministry by November 15, 2025.
The Government of Bangladesh’s Posts and Telecommunications Division has unveiled the draft of the Bangladesh Telecommunication Ordinance 2025, aiming to modernize the sector and reinforce citizens’ digital rights
A proposal has been made to establish a centralized platform in Bangladesh to curb online gambling, betting, and pornography. The platform will integrate key digital and identity infrastructures — including SIM cards, mobile financial service (MFS) accounts, national identity (NID) numbers, and website monitoring systems — under a unified operational framework. The initiative was discussed in a meeting held at the BTRC headquarters in Dhaka, attended by representatives from the Ministry of Posts, Telecommunications and ICT, BTRC, Bangladesh Bank, Election Commission, law enforcement, intelligence agencies, mobile operators, and MFS providers.
The proposed system aims to detect and block illegal gambling transactions, identify suspicious mobile and MFS accounts, and track online activities using advanced verification tools. A joint Subscriber Data Verification Platform (SDVP) between BTRC and Bangladesh Bank is being developed to facilitate this. Authorities are also working on a “crawling engine” to trace gambling-related content. Representatives emphasized coordination, stronger monitoring, and public awareness to prevent youth exploitation and money laundering. The move marks a comprehensive effort to strengthen digital security and social stability through cross-sectoral collaboration.
Officials discuss a unified digital platform to combat online gambling and pornography in Bangladesh
The National Citizen Party (NCP) has officially received registration as a political organization from the Election Commission, securing the Shapla Koli (water lily bud) as its electoral symbol. In a video message on Tuesday night, the party’s convener Nahid Islam expressed gratitude to all party members and supporters for their tireless efforts leading to this achievement. He described the NCP as a party “for all citizens” and invited individuals who wish to enter politics with sincerity and a vision for a new Bangladesh to join their movement.
Nahid Islam recounted the party’s journey, noting that it was founded in February following a period of civic activism and that the registration process began in March. Despite initial delays from the Election Commission, the party persisted and ultimately received official recognition. The NCP plans to field candidates in all 300 constituencies under the Shapla Koli symbol. Emphasizing honesty, patriotism, and reform, Nahid stated that the party is preparing for the upcoming national elections and working to build public support nationwide. He concluded by reaffirming the NCP’s commitment to work for people’s rights and establish a fair political culture in Bangladesh.
Nahid Islam. File photo
The Bangladesh government has decided not to grant permission for Indian-born Islamic preacher Dr. Zakir Naik to visit Dhaka at this time, according to a source in the Ministry of Home Affairs. The decision was made during a core law and order committee meeting held on Tuesday (November 4) at the Secretariat, chaired by Home Affairs Adviser Lt. Gen. (Retd.) Md. Jahangir Alam Chowdhury. Other key officials present included Public Works Adviser Adilur Rahman Khan, International Affairs Envoy Lutfe Siddique, Special Assistant Lt. Gen. (Retd.) Abdul Hafiz, and Inspector General of Police Baharul Alam.
During the meeting, it was revealed that an organization had invited Dr. Naik to attend a two-day program in Dhaka on November 28 and 29, with possible visits outside the capital. However, authorities expressed concern that his arrival could attract massive public gatherings requiring extensive law enforcement deployment—resources currently focused on the upcoming national election. Consequently, it was decided that Dr. Zakir Naik may visit after the election but not before.
Dr. Naik left India after being accused of inciting extremism following the 2016 Holey Artisan attack in Dhaka. He currently resides in Malaysia with permanent resident status.
Islamic preacher Zakir Naik. File photo
The interim government of Bangladesh has approved the inclusion of recognized independent Ebtedayi madrasas under the Monthly Pay Order (MPO) scheme, contingent upon meeting four specific conditions. The directive, signed by Mir Tayefa Siddika, Director-7 at the Chief Adviser’s Office, was sent to the Ministry of Education on November 3.
As per the order, madrasas fulfilling all requirements under the 2018 policy on establishment, recognition, management, staffing, and salary structure will be eligible for MPO inclusion in the first phase, following verification through detailed district administration reports. In the next phase, other eligible institutions will gradually be added. Prior to final approval, the Finance Division’s consent is mandatory, and any existing grant-in-aid facilities must be discontinued after MPO enlistment.
This decision came amid ongoing demonstrations by Ebtedayi madrasa teachers demanding nationalization. Although the announcement marks progress, teachers from non-grant madrasas expressed dissatisfaction, vowing to continue protests until all Ebtedayi institutions—whether grant-based or not—are nationalized.
Teachers continue protests in Dhaka seeking full nationalization of Ebtedayi madrasas despite the government’s MPO inclusion decision
The Canadian government is pursuing new legislative powers that would allow mass cancellation of visas amid rising concerns over fraudulent applications, particularly from Bangladesh and India. Internal documents obtained by CBC News reveal that officials from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) have partnered with U.S. counterparts to form a working group. The group aims to identify fake travel visa applications and enhance enforcement capabilities. These documents refer to Bangladesh and India as “specific challenging countries,” emphasizing the need for stronger authority to revoke visas on a large scale.
Publicly, Immigration Minister Lena Diab has cited emergencies like pandemics or wars as reasons for seeking such powers, without naming specific nations. The proposal, known as Bill C-12, has already raised alarms among over 30 civil society organizations, who fear it could become a tool for mass deportation. Immigration lawyers also question whether the government is using fraud as a pretext to reduce application backlogs. Meanwhile, the IRCC claims the move is part of “firm measures” to curb border misuse and illegal entries, boasting a 97% decline in unauthorized crossings and a 25% rise in visa rejections due to fraud since last year.
Canadian authorities plan tighter visa scrutiny amid rising fraud cases linked to South Asian countries
The National Citizens Party (NCP) has officially announced that it will not nominate any candidate in the constituency of former Prime Minister and BNP Chairperson Begum Khaleda Zia in the upcoming 13th National Election. The decision was disclosed to the media on Tuesday (November 4) by NCP’s Chief Coordinator and Election Steering Committee Chairman Nasir Uddin Patwary. The announcement comes a day after the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) declared its preliminary list of 237 candidates, which includes Khaleda Zia contesting from Feni-1, Dinajpur-3, and Bogura-7 constituencies. By choosing not to contest in Khaleda Zia’s seat, the NCP signaled a gesture of political respect or strategy as election campaigns gain momentum across the country.
BNP Chairperson Begum Khaleda Zia. Collected photo
In a significant move to address the persistent shortage of basic subject teachers in medical education, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare of Bangladesh has issued two official circulars announcing a 70% incentive allowance on the basic salary for eligible teachers. The allowance, categorized as a “non-practicing incentive,” will benefit teachers of basic and certain non-practicing subjects across five medical universities—Bangladesh Medical University (BMU), Rajshahi, Chattogram, Sylhet, and Khulna Medical Universities—as well as 37 government medical colleges, Dhaka Dental College, the Center for Medical Education (CME), and 19 specialized institutes.
The incentive applies to teachers of ten subjects, including Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Forensic Medicine, Community Medicine, Pathology, Microbiology, Virology, and Anesthesiology. Although the last two are not classified as basic subjects, they are included due to their non-practicing nature.
To qualify, teachers must submit an official non-practicing declaration. The scheme will take effect from the 2025–2026 fiscal year, with adherence to financial regulations required. Any violation or malpractice will result in loss of eligibility. This initiative marks a major policy step to improve faculty retention and strengthen the foundation of medical education in Bangladesh.
Teachers of basic medical subjects to receive 70% incentive allowance under new government initiative
Leaders of the “Sada Dal,” a faction of Dhaka University (DU) teachers, have proposed that DU be granted “special institutional status” and that its teachers receive double the salary of their government counterparts. The proposal was formally submitted on November 4 to the Chairman of the National Pay Commission, Zakir Ahmed Khan, through a written 10-point memorandum.
The teachers argued that Dhaka University has played an unparalleled role in Bangladesh’s history—from the independence movement to national development—and thus deserves recognition through distinct privileges and pay structures. Their demands include placing senior professors in the super grade, higher academic and administrative allowances (up to 100% of basic pay), research grants of up to Tk 20 lakh, annual academic support allowances of Tk 3 lakh, and interest-free housing loans. They also sought full funding for research publication charges, conference participation, and tax exemptions on professional income.
Led by Professor Dr. Abdus Salam, the delegation emphasized that such measures would help retain academic excellence and global competitiveness at the university. The Pay Commission chief reportedly responded positively and assured that the demands would be reviewed.
Dhaka University. File photo
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.