The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
Dr. Zakir Naik, the 60-year-old Islamic preacher who has been facing charges in India for hate speech and money laundering, is set to attend a charitable event in Dhaka on November 28–29. The event is organized by Spark Event Management and is expected to take place in the Agargaon area. Naik, who left India in 2016 to settle permanently in Malaysia, has repeatedly stated that he will not return to India without assurances of a fair trial. Following the 2016 Holy Artisan attack in India, Bangladesh had imposed a ban on his entry. However, the political landscape in Bangladesh has changed, leading to a relaxation of the previous restrictions, allowing his visit this time. Meanwhile, India has requested that Bangladesh hand him over upon arrival, as he remains a fugitive under Indian law. His visit has drawn attention and concern both locally and internationally.
Dr. Zakir Naik, the 60-year-old Islamic preacher who has been facing charges in India for hate speech and money laundering, is set to attend a charitable event in Dhaka on November 28–29
Md. Shahjahan Mia, who was serving simultaneously as the administrator of Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC), managing director of Dhaka Water Supply and Sewerage Authority (WASA), and Additional Secretary of the Local Government Division, has been removed from his posts. The Ministry of Public Administration issued a notification on October 30 transferring him to the Ministry of Disaster Management and Relief as an Additional Secretary. He had been appointed DSCC administrator on February 13 while serving as Additional Secretary and later took charge as MD of Dhaka WASA on May 18. The order has been declared effective immediately in the public interest.
Dhaka South City Corporation Administrator and Dhaka WASA Managing Director Md. Shahjahan Mia Removed
Amid growing tensions among political parties over the implementation of the July Charter, Legal Adviser Dr. Asif Nazrul said the government is uncertain about its next steps after months of fruitless dialogue. Speaking at a press conference in Dhaka following an advisory council meeting, he expressed disappointment that after 270 days of discussion, the parties have failed to reach a consensus. Nazrul said disputes have now expanded beyond the Charter’s content to include disagreement over how it should be passed and when a referendum should be held. The National Consensus Commission has proposed two alternatives—one involving a referendum and automatic constitutional amendment if unresolved within 270 days, and another delegating responsibility to parliament. He added that the Chief Adviser will soon make a firm decision on the matter.
Amid growing tensions among political parties over the implementation of the July Charter, Legal Adviser Dr. Asif Nazrul said the government is uncertain about its next steps after months of fruitless dialogue
The Dhaka Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education has announced that the form fill-up process for the 2026 Secondary School Certificate (SSC) examinations will start on December 31, 2025. According to an official circular issued on Thursday, schools must publish the results of the selection or preparatory examinations by December 30 to ensure that eligible students can complete their SSC registration on time. The board emphasized that detailed instructions and the complete schedule for the form fill-up will be released soon on its official website. This move aims to maintain a smooth registration process and timely preparation for the 2026 SSC exams. Education authorities have also urged institutions to follow the official timetable strictly to avoid delays or complications in student registration.
The Dhaka Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education has announced that the form fill-up process for the 2026 Secondary School Certificate (SSC) examinations will start on December 31, 2025
National Citizens Party (NCP) Chief Coordinator Nasiruddin Patwari has launched a strong attack on Jamaat-e-Islami, accusing the party of political hypocrisy and inconsistency. Speaking at a discussion on “The Present and Future Roadmap of Politics” at the Dhaka Reporters Unity on Thursday (October 30), Patwari said Jamaat’s “words and intentions differ,” especially regarding its stance on proportional representation (PR). He suggested that the party might eventually side with the BNP over the proposed referendum.
Patwari also criticized legal expert Asif Nazrul, accusing him of lacking transparency in drafting the implementation framework for the July Charter. He demanded that the draft be made public before NCP considers signing it, saying the party has “no confidence in Asif Nazrul.”
Referring to the Reform Commission’s recommendations, Patwari said the “ball is now in Dr. Yunus’s court,” calling on the Chief Adviser to declare the July Charter’s implementation at the Shaheed Minar in the presence of movement victims’ families. He added that the NCP would sign the Charter only after ensuring its legal validity.
National Citizens Party (NCP) Chief Coordinator Nasiruddin Patwari has launched a strong attack on Jamaat-e-Islami, accusing the party of political hypocrisy and inconsistency
At a discussion titled “The Present and Future Roadmap of Politics,” National Citizens Party (NCP) Chief Coordinator Nasir Uddin Patwary stated that the BNP was born through a “Yes” vote and will ultimately die through a “No” vote. He accused the BNP of trying to use the Reform Commission to rehabilitate the Awami League and declared that there would be no leniency toward either major party. Patwary emphasized that the government must adhere to the directives of the July Charter, demanding clarity on its ambiguous terms. He added that since BNP accepted the charter, it has no moral right to reject it now. Warning that failure to hold elections by February would rest responsibility on the interim government, he urged the Chief Adviser to engage with the public directly and issue reform orders from the Shaheed Minar.
At a discussion titled “The Present and Future Roadmap of Politics,” National Citizens Party (NCP) Chief Coordinator Nasir Uddin Patwary stated that the BNP was born through a “Yes” vote and will ultimately die through a “No” vote
The Election Commission (EC) has advised the Ministry of Education to carefully plan the SSC and HSC exam schedules so that they do not coincide with the upcoming 13th National Parliamentary Election, which is expected to take place in the first half of February. EC Secretary Akhtar Ahmed shared the information on Thursday, October 30, noting that the Commission is making comprehensive preparations for the election.
During an inter-ministerial coordination meeting chaired by Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) A M M Nasir Uddin at the Election Bhaban in Agargaon, senior officials from various ministries discussed logistics, law and order, electricity, health services, and budget management related to the election. The EC has requested authorities to repair access roads and prepare polling centers in advance to ensure smooth voting.
The EC also directed relevant departments to prepare educational institutions that will serve as polling centers. A full panel of presiding and polling officers, including teachers and government bank officials, is being formed to ensure neutrality and efficiency. Additionally, health teams will be stationed at upazila and union levels, and awareness campaigns will be led by the Information Ministry and BTV.
As part of the election preparations, the Election Commission (EC) held coordination meetings with various ministries, departments, and agencies. After the meeting, the EC Secretary made these remarks
A Jubo League leader in Comilla’s Burichang upazila has been accused of brutally torturing a teenage boy by tying him to a tree all day over an alleged theft. The incident took place on Wednesday in Binondiar Char village under Moynamoti Union. The victim, Abu Sayeed, son of the late Nazir Islam from Shah Daulatpur village, was allegedly assaulted by Monir Hossain, son of Sultan Ahmed, a known Jubo League leader in the area.
According to local sources and police, Monir accused Abu Sayeed of stealing Tk 90,000 from his cattle farm. He tied the boy to a tree from morning until evening and physically abused him throughout the day. Locals claimed that Monir is a close associate of Upazila Awami League General Secretary Akhlak Hayder and has been involved in acts of intimidation and abuse against villagers for years.
Abu Sayeed’s mother, Selina, said Monir lured her son to his home for work, then falsely accused him of theft when he asked for payment, later demanding Tk 90,000 to release him. Police rescued the boy and arrested Monir. A case has been filed with Burichang Police Station, and Monir remains in custody.
Police rescue a teenage boy in Burichang after he was allegedly tied to a tree and tortured by a Jubo League leader
Bangladesh’s shipowners are facing a severe financial crisis as a powerful syndicate of five cargo agents in Chattogram Port continues to dominate the country’s inland water transport system. Despite operating under government transport regulations, shipowners allege they have not received payment for cargo services, leaving many vessels stranded and forcing owners to halt operations.
During an emergency meeting held at the Officers’ Club in Dhaka on October 29, organized by the Bangladesh Cargo Vessel Owners Association (BCVOA), participants demanded immediate action against the syndicate. Presided over by association president Saeed Ahmed, the meeting was attended by former Coastal Ship Owners Association chairman Gazi Belayet Hossain (Mithu) and BCVOA general secretary Engineer Mehbub Kabir.
Speakers alleged that a handful of agents have monopolized cargo transport, turning ships into “floating warehouses” for months and creating artificial crises that raise market prices while depriving the government of revenue. They warned that if all dues are not cleared within 15 days, ships will cease operations. The owners’ four-point demand includes full payment within seven days, strict enforcement of transport policies, legal action against the syndicate, and equal rights for all shipowners.
The country’s inland cargo transport and vessels have become hostage to five cargo agents at Chattogram Port
Bangladesh’s Advisory Council, chaired by Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus, has approved the draft of the Human Organ Transplantation Ordinance, marking a major reform in the nation’s healthcare system. The new law will permit organ donations — including kidneys — from individuals who are not family members but share a close emotional bond with the recipient.
Previously, under existing regulations, only direct family members were allowed to donate organs, which forced many patients to travel abroad for transplants or engage in costly and sometimes unethical arrangements. According to Legal Adviser Professor Asif Nazrul, this amendment aims to eliminate such malpractice and make organ transplants more accessible and ethical within Bangladesh.
He emphasized that the ordinance would help reduce medical expenses, ease patient suffering, and curb the need for foreign treatment. In the same meeting, the council also approved the July Uprising Memorial Museum Ordinance, which will transform the former residence of the deposed prime minister — currently on trial for genocide — into a museum. This museum will operate as an independent institution and may open branches at symbolic sites across the country.
Advisory Council meeting chaired by Chief Adviser Muhammad Yunus approves key ordinances expanding healthcare and commemorating democratic movements
The National University of Bangladesh has made a preliminary decision to reduce examination fees for its students, taking into account the financial challenges many are facing. The decision was confirmed through an official press release issued on Thursday at 11:30 AM by Acting Director of Public Relations, Md. Mostafizur Rahman. According to the statement, the announcement of the reduced fees will be made by November 15 after consultations with college principals and university policymakers. The press release further mentioned that the decision was taken during an emergency meeting on October 29, attended by the Vice-Chancellor, Registrar, Controller of Examinations, Proctor, department heads, and student representatives. Since many students have already registered online for the current examinations, the new fee structure will be applicable from the upcoming Honours Part-4, Pass Course Part-2, and future examinations.
National University authorities discuss exam fee reductions to ease student burdens
The Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council (BMDC) has released the updated admission policy for MBBS and BDS programs for the 2025–26 academic session, introducing several changes to eligibility requirements. According to the new policy, candidates must achieve a combined minimum GPA of 8.50 in SSC and HSC examinations to apply for admission to medical or dental colleges. However, candidates from underprivileged communities, including tribal groups and non-tribal applicants from hilly districts, will be eligible with a minimum combined GPA of 8.00. In all cases, applicants must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in HSC, with at least a GPA of 3.50 in Biology.
For Bangladeshi candidates, a GPA below 4.00 in either SSC or HSC will make them ineligible. The same GPA standards apply to foreign students seeking admission to government medical colleges, while those applying to private institutions need a minimum combined GPA of 7.00. Candidates who passed HSC in 2024 or 2025 and SSC in 2022 or later are eligible to apply. O-level and A-level students must obtain equivalency certificates from the Directorate General of Health Education (DGME). The updated policy aims to ensure academic quality and equal opportunity in medical and dental education.
The policy was published on Thursday on the website of the Health Education and Family Welfare Division under the Ministry of Health
In a shocking revelation, the body of customs officer Abdul Ahad, who was abducted six years ago from Chattogram, has been found in Feni’s Chhagalnaiya area. Police discovered the unidentified body near the entrance of Chhagalnaiya Upazila Health Complex on Wednesday morning. Locals had taken the unconscious man to the hospital, where doctors declared him dead. While checking his belongings, police found a cheque from Uttara Bank’s Birinchi branch in Feni, which led to the identification of the victim. Abdul Ahad, aged 46, hailed from Daudpur village in Kulaura, Moulvibazar. According to his family, despite paying a ransom of two lakh taka after his abduction, he was never released. The body has been sent to Feni General Hospital morgue for post-mortem, and police are investigating the mysterious death.
Police identify the long-missing customs officer Abdul Ahad’s body in Feni using a cheque found in his pocket
The Amar Bangladesh (AB) Party has warned that Chief Adviser Dr. Muhammad Yunus may be compelled to resign if political parties fail to reach a national consensus before the next parliamentary elections. Speaking at a press conference at the party’s central office in Bijoynagar, Dhaka, on Thursday, AB Party Chairman Mojibur Rahman Manju expressed concern over the growing uncertainty surrounding the electoral process.
Manju stated that the recommendations of the National Consensus Commission advise the interim government to issue an executive order and to consider holding a referendum either before or on the election day. According to the proposal, if the Constitution Reform Council fails to complete its reform work within the first nine months (270 days) of the new parliament, the proposed amendments would be automatically included in the constitution.
He further mentioned that the government has the authority to decide the date of the referendum, which may be held any time between the issuance of the National Charter (Constitution Reform) Implementation Order in July and the national election day. Several AB Party leaders, including Abdullah Al Mamun, Barrister Nasrin Sultana Mili, and others, were also present at the event.
Failure to reach a consensus may force Dr. Yunus to resign: AB Party
Eight political parties, including Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami, Islami Andolan Bangladesh, and Khelafat Majlis, have demanded that a national referendum be held by November. On Thursday (October 30), leaders and activists from these parties gathered in front of the Election Commission (EC) to submit a memorandum to Chief Election Commissioner Kazi Habibul Awal. The demonstration was part of their campaign for a five-point demand centered on implementing the “July National Charter” and organizing a referendum within November.
During a brief rally, the leaders urged the EC to ensure a fair and equal environment for all political parties in the upcoming national election. They warned that if the EC fails to meet their demands, it would face the same loss of credibility as the previous commissions. Later, a delegation of senior leaders entered the EC office at noon to formally submit the memorandum.
The parties’ five-point demand includes: implementing the July National Charter, holding a referendum by November, introducing proportional representation in parliament, ensuring a level playing field, prosecuting corruption and oppression under the current government, and banning activities of the ruling alliance and its associates.
Eight Political Parties Including Jamaat-e-Islami Demand National Referendum by November and Submit Five-Point Memorandum to Election Commission
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.