The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
The administration of US President Donald Trump is increasing pressure on Cuba while seeking potential alternative leaders to the current government, according to current and former US officials cited in a report published on August 8, 2026. Washington is also examining possible routes to change Cuba’s government if talks with Havana’s ruling authorities fail. Officials described the effort as a strategy for changing leadership from within the existing system rather than a direct plan to overthrow the government.
The US administration is looking for a current or former Cuban official considered pragmatic and willing to work with Washington. Intelligence assessments, however, indicate that Cuba more closely resembles Iran than Venezuela, with few officials able to cooperate closely with the United States after a sudden power shift. Oscar Perez-Oliva Fraga, Raul Gonzalez Rodriguez Castro and Interior Minister Lazaro Alberto Alvarez Casas are among figures discussed as possible alternatives.
Washington has demanded that Havana open its economy further, allow US businesses into its market, buy oil from the United States, and reduce or end Russian and Chinese intelligence activity. It has reportedly offered humanitarian assistance and possible easing of some sanctions in return. CIA has secretly created a Cuba-focused task force, while Cuba has strengthened defensive measures amid concerns over a possible US military operation.
US pursues pressure, talks and possible alternative leadership options for Cuba
China called on Washington to stop military threats and unilateral sanctions after reports that the Pentagon was examining possible military intervention options in Cuba. On July 31, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mao Ning said Beijing was closely monitoring the matter and opposed external interference in Cuba. She said China would firmly stand with Cuba in safeguarding its national sovereignty and would work with all parties to uphold international justice and fairness.
The statement followed a CBS News report that senior US defense officials had reviewed several outlines for a military operation in Cuba, including an air-strike plan involving thousands of troops from the 101st Airborne Division. The report said the US military held a preliminary meeting in late June to assess potential operations, troop requirements, logistics and risks.
US officials stressed that President Donald Trump had not authorized an attack and that no final decision had been made. The Associated Press reported that no immediate attack preparations were underway, though a military option remained in US planning drafts. Officials said moving fighter aircraft, intelligence-surveillance platforms and other equipment to Cuba would be difficult under current conditions, while the Pentagon declined direct comment on hypothetical operations.
China says it will support Cuba's sovereignty amid reports of possible US military options
Cuba experienced a nationwide power outage on Friday afternoon, marking the second such incident in less than a week. The state-run electricity company Unión Eléctrica de Cuba confirmed that electricity supply had been cut off across the country but did not provide an official explanation for the disruption. A similar blackout occurred earlier in the week on Monday, and this latest incident is the fourth nationwide outage reported this year.
The report attributes the worsening situation to an energy blockade linked to policies under former U.S. President Donald Trump. Cuba’s aging power infrastructure, much of which was built between the 1960s and 1980s during the Cold War, has long been vulnerable to breakdowns. The country has been under a U.S. trade embargo since the 1960s, which has further limited access to modern equipment and maintenance resources.
The repeated blackouts highlight the fragility of Cuba’s energy system and the growing impact of external restrictions on its already strained economy.
Cuba suffers second nationwide blackout in a week amid energy blockade and aging power grid
Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel has warned that the Cuban people will fight to the last drop of blood if the United States launches a military attack on the island. Speaking to Sky News, he said Cuba is prepared for any scenario, though it cannot confirm whether an attack will happen. His remarks came after U.S. President Donald Trump claimed that “Cuba is moving toward us,” which Díaz-Canel dismissed as deliberate misinformation and psychological pressure.
The Cuban leader accused Washington of violating international law and insulting the Cuban people through false propaganda. He rejected U.S. allegations of Chinese or Russian military bases in Cuba and described the long-standing U.S. embargo as the most enduring blockade in human history, responsible for power shortages, medicine scarcity, and economic hardship. Díaz-Canel also condemned new U.S. fuel sanctions imposed in January as a crime and an act of genocide.
He cited Cuba’s historical resistance, quoting independence hero Antonio Maceo, and said millions of Cubans are ready to defend their sovereignty if necessary.
Cuba warns U.S. it will fight to the last drop of blood if attacked
Cuba is experiencing a deepening energy crisis marked by prolonged nationwide power outages that have left residents in darkness for days. In Havana and other regions, people are struggling without electricity, water, or relief from extreme heat and mosquito infestations. Some residents have resorted to public protests known as “cacerolazos,” banging pots and pans to express frustration over the worsening conditions. Fuel shortages have also crippled transportation and cooking, forcing many to rely on wood and charcoal.
The crisis has been compounded by soaring inflation, with basic goods and gas cylinder prices rising sharply while pensions have lost value. The tourism sector, a key source of income, is suffering as international companies scale back or withdraw operations. Political tensions between Cuba and the United States have intensified, raising fears of new sanctions and potential military strain.
Analysts warn that without diplomatic compromise, the situation could deteriorate further. The World Meteorological Organization has cautioned that extreme heat and drought may make conditions even more dangerous in a country already struggling without power.
Cuba reels under severe power outages, fuel shortages, and rising political and economic tensions
Cuba’s central bank announced that starting June 6, Visa and Mastercard transactions will no longer be processed in the country. The move follows new US trade sanctions imposed by the Trump administration, which have intensified economic pressure on Cuba’s already struggling economy. According to Reuters, several foreign companies have begun limiting or ending business ties with Cuba after a US executive order issued on May 1.
The central bank stated that due to these restrictions, payments for goods and services through international cards can no longer be received. Analysts described the development as a major blow to Cuba’s economy, particularly its tourism sector, which was already in distress. The sanctions also target GAESA, a military-controlled business group accused of secretly managing revenues from tourism, financial transactions, and remittances.
Cuba’s government has denied the allegations, asserting that GAESA contributes to the country’s economic and social development. In recent weeks, several foreign hotels, airlines, and shipping companies have reportedly begun withdrawing from Cuba amid the tightening sanctions.
US sanctions stop Visa and Mastercard use in Cuba, worsening its economic and tourism woes
The United States has filed criminal charges against former Cuban president Raul Castro, accusing him of ordering the 1996 shootdown of two planes that killed four people, including three American citizens. Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche announced the indictment in Miami’s Freedom Tower, stating that Castro and five others face murder charges related to the destruction of two aircraft owned by the Cuban-American group Brothers to the Rescue. The charges carry potential penalties of life imprisonment or death.
Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel dismissed the allegations as a politically motivated move without legal basis, accusing Washington of distorting facts and using the case to justify aggression against Cuba. He insisted the planes were downed in Cuba’s airspace in self-defense. The indictment comes amid heightened US pressure on Cuba’s communist government, including sanctions and fuel restrictions that have worsened power outages and food shortages.
Experts cited in the report suggested the move is part of a broader US strategy to pressure Havana into negotiations. However, they noted that given Castro’s advanced age and retirement, a direct confrontation or extradition appears unlikely.
US charges Raul Castro over 1996 plane shootdown killing three Americans
Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel warned that any U.S. military action against Cuba would lead to 'bloodshed' and create an unprecedented crisis for regional peace and stability. He made the statement on social media platform X, emphasizing that Cuba poses no threat to anyone. His remarks followed a report by U.S. outlet Axios, which cited classified intelligence alleging that Cuba had acquired over 300 military drones and discussed potential attacks on the U.S. naval base at Guantánamo Bay, American warships, and Key West in Florida.
Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodríguez separately stated that Cuba has the legitimate right to self-defense under the UN Charter and international law. He accused those seeking to attack Cuba of using false pretexts to justify their actions. The tensions come amid severe energy shortages in Cuba following the U.S. suspension of fuel supplies after the arrest of Venezuela’s president in January.
Relations between the two countries have further deteriorated after reports that U.S. prosecutors plan to indict former Cuban leader Raúl Castro over the 1996 downing of two humanitarian aircraft operated by Brothers to the Rescue.
Cuba warns of bloodshed if U.S. takes military action amid rising bilateral tensions
Cuba is facing a severe fuel crisis as its reserves near depletion under ongoing U.S. sanctions. Energy Minister Vicente de la O stated that the country has virtually no fuel or diesel left, describing the national grid as being in a critical condition. The announcement underscores the worsening energy situation across the island.
Despite the blockade, Cuba continues negotiations to import fuel. However, the minister noted that the global rise in oil and transport costs, driven by the conflict involving Iran, the United States, and Israel, has made these efforts increasingly difficult. He emphasized that Cuba is ready to purchase fuel from any country willing to sell.
According to official data, Cuba produces about 40,000 barrels of oil per day but consumes between 90,000 and 110,000 barrels, leaving it structurally dependent on imports. The shortage threatens to deepen the country’s economic challenges if new supply deals are not secured soon.
Cuba’s fuel reserves nearly depleted as U.S. sanctions and global oil costs strain supply
U.S. President Donald Trump has increased pressure on Cuba, raising fears that his repeated threats of military action against the Caribbean island could soon materialize. A CNN report citing Flightradar24 data indicated that since February, U.S. military surveillance flights near Cuba’s coast have risen sharply. Last Thursday, Washington imposed additional sanctions on Havana, which Cuba condemned as collective punishment aimed at civilians amid a worsening humanitarian crisis.
Cuban officials blamed U.S. fuel blockades for the crisis, while Trump signaled that an aircraft carrier returning from Iran might be deployed near Cuba. Secretary of State Marco Rubio criticized Cuba’s economic system as unfixable, calling its leadership “incompetent communists.” A White House official told Axios that Cuba is a failed state nearing collapse, while the State Department accused Havana of ignoring public suffering and refusing reforms.
Analysts suggested Trump may favor limited military actions similar to those in Iran rather than a ground invasion, as Washington renews its focus on Cuba following uncertainty in the Iran conflict.
Trump heightens pressure on Cuba with new sanctions and increased U.S. surveillance flights
Since February, the United States has significantly increased intelligence flights near Cuba’s coastline, according to a CNN report citing FlightRadar24 data. The report states that since February 4, the US Navy and Air Force have conducted at least 25 surveillance missions using aircraft and drones, mainly near Havana and Santiago de Cuba, with some flights coming within 40 miles of the coast. Most operations involved P-8A Poseidon patrol aircraft, while RC-135V Rivet Joint planes and MQ-4C Triton drones were also deployed.
Before February, such flights were rare in the region. The report links the surge to a January 29 executive order signed by President Donald Trump authorizing tariffs on imports from countries supplying oil to Cuba. The Cuban government has accused the US of trying to cripple its economy through energy restrictions. The Pentagon declined to comment on the reported flights.
CNN noted that similar patterns of increased surveillance occurred before US military actions in Venezuela and Iran, raising concerns in Havana about possible escalation.
US surveillance flights near Cuba rise sharply, sparking concern over possible escalation
The United States announced a new round of sanctions against Cuba on Thursday, targeting the military-controlled conglomerate Grupo de Administración Empresarial SA (GAESA) and its executive president Ania Guillermina Lastres Morera. The measures also affect Moa Nickel SA, a joint venture between Toronto-based Sherritt International Corporation and Cuba’s state-owned nickel company. The United Nations expressed concern that Washington’s actions amount to an energy blockade pushing Cuba toward a deeper energy crisis.
According to the report, GAESA has links to nearly all sectors of Cuba’s economy, making the sanctions potentially far-reaching. Sherritt stated on its website that it has temporarily suspended direct participation in the joint venture due to the new restrictions. U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said in a statement on X that the Trump administration would continue to act until Cuba implements necessary political and economic reforms.
Cuba’s government has not yet issued an official response to the new sanctions, while the UN’s warning highlights growing international concern over the humanitarian and economic impact of the measures.
US sanctions Cuba’s GAESA group, UN warns of worsening energy crisis
Mexico, Spain and Brazil have jointly called for a sincere and respectful dialogue with Cuba as tensions with the United States intensify. In a joint statement issued on Saturday, the three left-leaning governments expressed concern over what they described as Cuba’s “dramatic situation,” noting that the Cuban people are facing a severe humanitarian crisis. The statement urged all parties to take necessary measures to alleviate the situation.
The appeal was made during a leftist leaders’ conference in Barcelona, led by Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez and attended by Mexico’s Claudia Sheinbaum and Brazil’s Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva. The leaders emphasized the need to protect democracy and to find a lasting solution that allows the Cuban people to determine their own future in full freedom.
The call comes as US President Donald Trump has issued multiple warnings toward Cuba and imposed an oil blockade that has worsened the country’s long-standing economic and energy crisis.
Mexico, Spain and Brazil call for dialogue with Cuba amid US tensions
Cuba has plunged into darkness following a severe nationwide power outage triggered by the United States’ strict oil blockade. Speaking at the White House on Monday, US President Donald Trump warned that Washington could either “liberate” or “occupy” Cuba, claiming the island nation was now in a weakened state. The AFP reported the remarks from Havana as the crisis deepened across the Caribbean country of 9.6 million people.
Cuba’s national electricity company, Unión Nacional Eléctrica, said the entire grid had collapsed, leaving many areas without power for up to 20 hours a day. The oil import halt has crippled the energy sector, disrupting transport and tourism. Following political changes in Venezuela, the US maintained its oil embargo, cutting off supplies since early January. In response, Havana introduced policy shifts allowing Cuban expatriates to invest and own businesses, with Foreign Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Oscar Pérez-Oliva expressing readiness for trade with US firms and diaspora investors.
Public frustration has grown amid fuel shortages, food and medicine scarcity, and sporadic protests. President Miguel Díaz-Canel acknowledged citizens’ anger but condemned violence as unacceptable.
Cuba suffers blackout amid US oil blockade as Trump warns of possible takeover
Four people were killed and six others injured when Cuban security forces clashed with a US-registered speedboat near the island’s northern coast. The incident occurred about one mile northeast of Cayo Falcones, according to a statement issued Wednesday by Cuba’s Interior Ministry. The ministry claimed the vessel entered Cuban waters and opened fire on its security forces.
Cuban authorities said the speedboat was registered in Florida and alleged that those on board were Cuban residents of the United States attempting to infiltrate the country for terrorist activities. The ministry confirmed it had the vessel’s registration number but did not release details about the individuals involved.
Following the incident, the United States announced it would conduct its own verification of the events. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters that the operation was not a US government mission and that no government personnel were involved. He added that authorities were checking whether those aboard were US citizens or permanent residents.
Cuba reports four dead in clash with US-registered boat; Washington launches verification
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.