The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
NATO has told its members to be prepared to protect all allies following a report that Iran considered attacks on US military installations in Europe if President Donald Trump intensifies the war. The warning was issued by a NATO official on Wednesday, after a Financial Times report raised questions about possible Iranian retaliation against expanded US military activity.
The official said NATO would take all necessary measures to address any threat to a member of the alliance. The official also said that earlier this year, NATO air defences successfully intercepted ballistic missiles fired from Iran toward Turkey in four separate incidents, describing the result as evidence that the alliance’s deterrence and defence systems are strong and effective.
The United States has military bases and deployed personnel in several countries across Europe. The report said a potential Iranian attack on US military facilities in Europe could also affect the security of NATO member states. The source article attributed the report to Middle East Eye and cited the Financial Times regarding Iran’s potential response.
NATO says it is ready to protect allies amid reported Iranian threats to US sites in Europe
The Bangladesh Embassy in Bucharest has urged Bangladeshi citizens living in Romania, Bulgaria, North Macedonia and Moldova to use social media and other online platforms cautiously and responsibly. In a public-awareness notice published on August 18, 2026, the embassy said posts, comments, photos and videos shared online can create legal complications, despite social media being an important tool for communication and information exchange.
The notice advised extra caution when publishing or sharing content concerning religion, politics, public order, national security and other sensitive subjects. It urged users to verify information before sharing it and avoid material that could be considered contrary to local laws, threatening, provocative, discriminatory or offensive in the relevant country.
The embassy also advised citizens to stay away from content that could create the impression of supporting violence or extremist activities. It called on Bangladeshis abroad to respect local laws, regulations, social values and sensitivities while helping maintain a safe and harmonious environment. Responsible online conduct, the embassy said, can help prevent legal and other unwanted complications and preserve Bangladesh’s positive image abroad.
Embassy urges Bangladeshis in four countries to use social media responsibly and lawfully
Major wildfires spread across Europe amid record heat, with France detaining 474 people since July 1 over fire incidents, the Interior Ministry said Friday. The European Union described wildfire conditions in several parts of the continent as “extremely extreme.” Fires have also affected Croatia, Germany, Spain, Greece and the United Kingdom, burning homes and prompting evacuations of residents and tourists.
French authorities said 183 of those detained were minors, and about 70 percent were suspected of deliberately starting fires; the remainder faced allegations of unintentionally causing them. More than 525 people were evacuated from Luglon in the Landes department, where a new blaze burned about 1,100 hectares of dry pine forest in less than 24 hours. Around 500 firefighters and six water-dropping aircraft were deployed.
In western Germany, more than 2,000 people left homes near the Huertgen forest fire, while unexploded Second World War ammunition hindered firefighting. Spain evacuated people from 16 towns and villages and moved the remains of three 11th-century Aragon kings from a monastery. Greece evacuated about 500 tourists by small boats. Scientists said climate change is making extreme weather more frequent and intense, increasing wildfire risk through dry soils, heat and strong winds.
Heatwave fuels European wildfires as France detains 474 people over suspected fire incidents
Europe is now about 2.5 degrees Celsius warmer than in the pre-industrial era, nearly twice the global average warming rate, according to a report published on August 13, 2026. The article says climate change and fossil-fuel emissions are trapping additional heat in the atmosphere, while heatwaves during the current summer have killed thousands of people across Europe.
The report identifies four main factors behind Europe’s faster warming: changing weather patterns, proximity to the Arctic, declining snow cover and reduced air pollution. Shifts in atmospheric circulation have increased the frequency of intense, prolonged summer heatwaves, including a severe heatwave linked to a “heat dome” in June 2026. Europe is also strongly affected by rapid Arctic warming because of its geographic proximity.
Snow loss reduces the reflection of sunlight that helps keep land cool; in March 2025, European snow cover was about 1.3 million square kilometres below its long-term average. Lower air pollution has also reduced the cooling effect of particles that reflect sunlight. Scientists have not yet determined each factor’s precise contribution. UN climate chief Simon Stiell called for emissions cuts, a rapid transition to renewable energy and urgent protection from heatwaves.
Europe is warming nearly twice as fast as the global average, raising heat and disaster risks
Europe’s Rhine River, a major transport route for industry and trade, is facing severe drought and record-low water levels, disrupting cargo movement and raising costs. The report, published on August 7, 2026, said water levels fell this week to their lowest since official measurements began in 1880. Large vessels are carrying less freight, while cargo is being shifted in some places to smaller boats, trucks and rail, adding pressure to German industrial production.
The roughly 800-mile Rhine runs from the Swiss Alps to the North Sea through six countries and carries about 300 million tons of goods annually. In parts near Duisburg, water is only slightly more than four feet deep, forcing some ships to unload up to two-thirds of their cargo. The 564-foot W. D. Beijers Senior, which normally carries 5,000 tons of iron ore, is currently limited to 1,200 tons.
Low water has also affected the Danube, raising concerns over water used to cool nuclear reactors in Hungary and Romania. Research cited by the report estimates that a month of low-water conditions could cut German industrial output by about 1 percent. Companies have expanded storage and other preparations, but only a few of roughly 8,000 cargo ships on the Rhine are specially designed for shallow water.
Record-low Rhine water disrupts cargo shipping and raises pressure on Europe’s industry
Europe has been disrupted by intense heat and heatwaves, driving a sharp increase in demand for air conditioners. Chinese home-appliance companies are using China-Europe freight trains rather than conventional sea routes to supply the market faster, according to a report published on August 3, 2026. Major firms are seeking to move larger volumes in less time as demand rises across Europe.
At a special briefing, China’s National Development and Reform Commission said companies including Midea Group and Gree Electric Appliances had altered their logistics arrangements for faster air-conditioner deliveries. Sea shipments take about 40 days, compared with roughly 15 days by China-Europe freight train, reducing transport time by more than 60 percent. The report said Europe’s relatively limited local air-conditioner manufacturing capacity leaves much of its market dependent on Chinese production.
More than 80 percent of global air-conditioner production capacity is located in China’s Pearl River Delta, the report said. In the second quarter, the value of air conditioners and related parts carried by Guangzhou Railway Group’s China-Europe trains reached $52 million, with more than 100,000 complete units shipped. The rail network currently operates on 96 routes linking 236 cities in 26 European countries.
China shifts AC shipments to rail as Europe's heatwave drives demand
The European Union has called an emergency meeting for next Tuesday to address a migration crisis in Spain’s Ceuta enclave and tensions among member states, according to a BBC report published Sunday. The move follows the recent simultaneous entry of about 60,000 migrants into Ceuta from Morocco. EU leaders are seeking to secure the bloc’s external borders and coordinate a response.
A joint letter signed by 22 EU leaders warned that any perception that illegal entry is possible could create security risks across Europe, encourage further migration and undermine confidence in common policies. The letter was addressed to EU President Antonio Costa, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and Irish Prime Minister Michael Martin. Ireland currently holds the presidency of the EU Council, and leaders from the Netherlands, Finland and Belgium were among the signatories.
At least 67 people have died in the sudden border crossing, though officials said nearly all those who reached Ceuta on July 30 had already returned. Italy temporarily suspended the Schengen agreement with Spain for one month, a move backed by Finland and Denmark. Spain condemned the decision, while its interior minister said Ceuta was nearly back to normal and barriers were being built to prevent waterborne entries.
EU calls Tuesday emergency meeting as Ceuta migration crisis fuels tensions among member states
Italy has temporarily suspended Schengen arrangements with Spain and tightened air and sea border controls following the entry of large numbers of irregular migrants into Spain’s Ceuta enclave. The report, published on August 1, 2026, said the decision followed the arrival of about 50,000 irregular migrants in Ceuta from Thursday. Italy’s ANSA news agency said Interior Minister Matteo Piantedosi acted after an assessment by the committee for immigration and border security analysis.
Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said in a post on X that temporarily suspending the Schengen arrangement was a necessary decision to ensure citizens’ security and protect Europe’s borders. He said the measure is permitted under European agreements and had become unavoidable under the current circumstances. Tajani also said the Ceuta incident showed that management of the European Union’s external borders is a shared responsibility.
Tajani stressed coordinated action by member states against uncontrolled migration, possible security risks and terrorism threats. Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez described the mass entry into Ceuta as an attack on Spanish territory and a violation of the country’s territorial integrity, pledging to restore normality as quickly as possible. Spain’s Interior Ministry said more than 48,000 of the roughly 50,000 migrants who entered Ceuta had already returned to Morocco.
Italy temporarily suspends Schengen arrangements with Spain after mass arrivals in Ceuta
More than 220,000 people have been moved to safety as severe wildfires spread rapidly across Spain and France. Spain declared a national emergency for the first time in its history on July 25 as conditions worsened, while France requested European Union assistance to contain fires in its southwest.
In Spain, three separate fires west of Madrid merged into a larger blaze, challenging firefighters. About 63,000 people were ordered to leave affected areas or remain indoors, including at least 25,000 who were evacuated. At least 6,000 hectares have burned in the Madrid region and about 9,000 hectares in Avila province. Residents were evacuated from eight municipalities, while lockdowns remain in several other areas.
In France, more than 140,000 people were evacuated from the Gironde and Landes regions. More than 19,000 hectares of forest burned in Gironde and about 80 homes were destroyed. Interior Minister Laurent Nunez said the fire was advancing toward Bordeaux, and at least 50 firefighters were injured. The Czech Republic and Slovakia announced they would send two Black Hawk helicopters.
Wildfires in Spain and France force evacuations of more than 220,000 people
Spain declared a wildfire emergency for the first time on July 24 as severe heatwaves across Europe fuelled major fires and large-scale evacuations. France also requested emergency assistance from the European Union to tackle fires along its Atlantic coast. Authorities in affected countries have moved residents from extensive areas to safer shelters as they work to contain the blazes and protect lives.
In France, officials ordered the evacuation of the entire tourist-frequented Cape Ferret peninsula after flames and thick smoke reached close to residential areas. About 63,000 residents have been evacuated, with a large share rescued by sea. Interior Minister Laurent Nunez said a fire that began in the Saumos area near the peninsula's northern end had nearly blocked the only main road out.
The fire, described by Nunez as France's worst of the year, has burned about 10,000 hectares and damaged at least 80 homes, including 50 destroyed completely. In Spain, more than 10,000 residents were evacuated from towns in mountainous areas west of Madrid. Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska said the emergency declaration would make coordination among agencies and overall control of the situation easier.
Spain declares wildfire emergency as France seeks EU help amid heatwave-fuelled fires
European Central Bank (ECB) policymakers are under renewed pressure as fresh conflict in the Middle East pushes oil prices upward. The escalation has raised concerns about inflation in the eurozone, prompting debate over whether to raise interest rates again this week. The ECB had increased rates in June for the first time since 2023 after inflation surged, but most analysts now expect the main rate to remain unchanged at 2.25 percent.
Economists cited in the report said the recent rise in oil prices has not yet had a broad impact on eurozone inflation. Felix Schmidt of Berenberg Bank and Carsten Brzeski of ING both suggested that the ECB is likely to hold rates steady, though a small chance of a hike remains. The renewed conflict, including Iran’s closure of the Strait of Hormuz, has intensified debate between policy “hawks” favoring tighter measures and “doves” preferring flexibility.
Investors are expected to watch ECB President Christine Lagarde’s post-meeting remarks for clues about future policy direction. Some analysts believe another rate increase could come in September, though the outlook remains uncertain.
ECB debates rate decision as Middle East conflict reignites inflation pressure
The European Union has issued a binding directive requiring Google to provide equal access for rival artificial intelligence (AI) applications on its Android operating system. The order also mandates Google to share certain search-related data with competing search engines and qualified AI chatbots in anonymized form. According to the EU, Google’s own AI assistant, Gemini, currently enjoys privileged access to key Android features, limiting fair competition in the digital market.
Under the new rules, Android users will be able to choose their preferred AI assistant, similar to selecting a web browser. Google must ensure that chosen AI apps can be activated via voice commands and integrated with smart features. The company is required to start sharing search data by January 2027 and open Android functionalities to competitors by July of the same year. Data protection measures will be independently evaluated by a third party.
Google has opposed the decision, arguing it could endanger user privacy and device security. Apple has expressed similar concerns, warning that such obligations may increase risks to personal data protection. The EU maintains that the directive aims to foster fair competition, innovation, and user choice in the digital market.
EU orders Google to open Android and share anonymized search data with AI rivals
The European Union has announced plans to introduce new age-based restrictions on children's use of social media across its 27 member states. European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen made the announcement in Brussels on Monday, describing it as potentially the EU’s most significant step yet to protect children from online risks. The proposal, prepared by two experts, recommends a gradual approach to social media access based on age.
According to the proposal, children under 13 would be allowed limited social media use only under the supervision of parents, guardians, or teachers. Restrictions would gradually ease as users grow older. Von der Leyen emphasized the need for age-appropriate rules and said the Commission would present a formal proposal after the summer, possibly detailing it in her upcoming “State of the Union” address in September.
The initiative follows similar actions or considerations in countries such as Australia, the United Kingdom, China, India, and the United States. Technology companies have stated that they already have measures and age limits in place to protect younger users.
EU to impose new age-based social media restrictions for children across 27 member states
More than 10,000 people died across Europe during an eight-day heatwave from June 20 to 28, according to a report released Sunday by EuroMOMO, a monitoring organization jointly operated by the European Union and the World Health Organization. The report stated that most of the deaths occurred among people aged 65 and older, primarily due to heatstroke and heat-induced cardiac or respiratory failure.
EuroMOMO official and Danish Statens Serum Institute chief physician Lasse Vestergaard told Reuters that the deaths were directly caused by extreme heat, calling the number unusually high for such a short period. The report did not specify country-by-country figures but noted that a large share of the deaths occurred in France and Belgium. Official data indicate that EU countries have been recording an average of 500 heat-related deaths per week for the past eight weeks.
European scientists attributed the June heatwave to human-induced climate change and warned that similar extreme heat events are likely to recur in the coming years.
EuroMOMO reports over 10,000 deaths in Europe during late June heatwave
The European Union has directed Meta to change the ‘addictive design’ of Facebook and Instagram, warning that failure to comply could result in substantial fines. The preliminary assessment, released on Friday from Brussels, accuses Meta of failing to reduce risks for children and vulnerable adults by maintaining features that keep users engaged for long periods, such as infinite scroll, personalized feeds, and autoplay videos.
EU technology chief Henna Virkkunen stated that protecting Europeans’ physical and mental health should be a priority for social media platforms. The European Commission said Meta must modify its design to disable autoplay and infinite scroll by default, introduce effective screen time breaks, and make recommendation algorithms less engagement-driven. Meta disagreed with the findings but said it would work constructively with the EU.
If the preliminary decision becomes final, the EU could fine Meta up to six percent of its global annual revenue. The move follows growing EU pressure on major tech firms to strengthen online safety for minors, similar to earlier warnings issued to TikTok.
EU warns Meta to change Facebook and Instagram’s addictive design or face heavy fines
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.