Web Analytics
Bangla
Loading date...
RECENT THREADS SOCIAL PAGE LOGIN

The trial of 11 employees accused of child abuse and neglect at a daycare center in Yogyakarta, Indonesia, began in a local court on August 18. The case concerns Little Aresha Daycare, where police said they found several children aged two to six with their hands and feet bound during a raid in April. Some children were allegedly tied to doors.

Prosecutors alleged that children were denied food as punishment, had their heads submerged in water, and were restrained by their legs. They said many children suffered psychological harm, including sleep problems and persistent fear. The case has prompted nationwide outrage and calls for tighter government oversight of daycare centers, as well as scrutiny of staff recruitment and training.

Police have identified 32 people as suspects or defendants in the investigation. The daycare is accused of operating without required authorization from 2022 to 2026. Its chairwoman, Diah Kusumastuti, is also accused of ordering abuse and operating an unlicensed institution. Convictions could carry up to five years in prison and a 100 million Indonesian rupiah fine, though the accused remain presumed innocent pending a final verdict.

19 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Trial opens for 11 staff accused of abuse and neglect at a Yogyakarta daycare

A magnitude 5.9 earthquake struck Indonesia’s quake-hit Flores region on Monday, days after a powerful magnitude 7.7 tremor hit East Nusa Tenggara province on Saturday. Germany’s GFZ Research Centre for Geosciences said the latest quake originated about 10 kilometres below the surface. No immediate reports of additional casualties or damage were available from the new tremor.

Indonesia’s national disaster management agency said 47 bodies were recovered on Saturday and six more on Sunday, bringing the death toll from the earlier earthquake to 53. More than 130 people were injured. Authorities recorded at least 995 aftershocks, including 46 felt by residents, with the strongest measuring magnitude 6.2. Thousands of people spent the night outdoors because of fears of further aftershocks.

More than 900 homes were completely destroyed across East Nusa Tenggara, while about 450 were damaged and nearly 5,000 people moved to temporary shelters. More than 100 public facilities, including schools, health centres and churches, were damaged or destroyed. Landslides cut sections of the Trans-Flores highway, hampering rescue work, and a helicopter was deployed to deliver aid and evacuate people if needed.

17 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

A 5.9 earthquake hit Flores as the earlier 7.7 quake death toll rose to 53

Indonesia’s North Sumatra province was struck by a magnitude 6.9 earthquake on Saturday evening, 12 hours after a powerful magnitude 7.7 quake hit the country’s east. The new tremor occurred at 5:54 p.m. local time, with its epicentre 7 kilometres northwest of Pematangsiantar, one of North Sumatra’s largest cities. The US Geological Survey said it originated at a depth of 183.2 kilometres.

No major damage or casualties had been reported from the latest quake, and no tsunami warning was issued. Earlier on Saturday, at 5:58 a.m., the magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck offshore, 68 kilometres northwest of Ende in East Nusa Tenggara province. That quake originated just 10 kilometres below the surface and was followed by 341 aftershocks of comparatively lower magnitude.

Indonesia’s weather agency initially issued a tsunami warning after the earlier offshore earthquake but withdrew it after three hours when no tsunami signs were detected. The magnitude 7.7 quake caused reported deaths and damage across eastern Indonesia and other areas, with 47 people killed, at least 54 buildings completely collapsed, and several hundred homes partially damaged.

16 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

A 6.9 earthquake struck North Sumatra 12 hours after Indonesia's deadly 7.7 quake

The death toll from a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake in eastern Indonesia rose to 47 after it struck early Saturday, injuring many others and damaging hundreds of homes and public facilities. The United States Geological Survey said the quake hit the Flores region at 5:58 a.m. local time on Saturday, with a depth of only 10 kilometers. Authorities reported that people in several areas fled their homes and took shelter on streets during the strong shaking.

Indonesia's National Disaster Management Agency, BNPB, said 24 deaths were reported in Manggarai Regency, 17 in East Manggarai, three in Sikka, and one each in Ngada and Ende. The earthquake severely damaged 157 houses, moderately damaged 41 and lightly damaged 148. Damage was also reported at 87 educational institutions, 18 health centers, five places of worship and six government offices.

The Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency issued tsunami warnings for several areas before later lifting them. Rescue teams continued recovering and treating injured people, while BNPB sent food and other essential relief supplies to affected areas. Nearly 2,000 people were moved to safer locations. Authorities recorded 111 aftershocks, including one measuring 6.1.

16 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Indonesia's 7.7-magnitude earthquake kills 47 as nearly 2,000 people are evacuated

The death toll from a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake that struck eastern Indonesia on Saturday has risen to 38, according to an official from the country’s disaster management agency. The update was reported on August 15, 2026.

Suharyanto, head of the National Disaster Mitigation Agency, said at a news conference that 38 deaths had been confirmed. He said two people were seriously injured and 11 others sustained minor injuries in the earthquake.

Nearly 2,000 people moved to safer locations on their own after the quake, Suharyanto said. The reported death toll had previously been lower. Rescue and search operations remain under way, and authorities fear the number of fatalities could rise further.

15 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Death toll from eastern Indonesia's 7.7-magnitude earthquake rises to 38

A powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck off Indonesia’s Flores Island at 5:58 a.m. local time on Saturday, killing two people and injuring one, according to the country’s disaster agency. Authorities issued a tsunami warning for affected coastal areas after the quake, which occurred off the coast of Flores in East Nusa Tenggara province.

The United States Geological Survey said the epicentre was about 68 kilometres north and northwest of Ende city, at a depth of 10 kilometres. Three aftershocks were felt within half an hour of the initial quake, with magnitudes of 5.9, 5.6 and 6.1.

Indonesia’s National Disaster Management Agency, BNPB, said a man and a woman were killed at Maumere port, where another person was injured. Local media footage showed extensive damage to the port and other buildings, while areas around Maumere were reported to be severely affected. The Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency, BMKG, urged residents to stay away from beaches and riverbanks and move to higher ground.

15 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Two killed after a 7.7-magnitude quake off Flores; tsunami warning issued

A powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck Indonesia’s Flores region near Naggeokeo in East Nusa Tenggara province at about 4:58 a.m. local time on Saturday. Residents were initially instructed to move to safer places because of tsunami concerns following the quake. Indonesia’s Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency, known as BMKG, later withdrew the tsunami warning.

The earthquake had a shallow depth of 15 kilometres and was centred about 30 kilometres northeast of Mbay town in Naggeokeo. BMKG said the strong quake created the possibility of a tsunami, prompting warnings for East Nusa Tenggara, South Sulawesi and West Nusa Tenggara provinces.

People in vulnerable areas had been told to evacuate quickly. BMKG said the initial tsunami concern was linked to the earthquake’s shallow depth. After reviewing conditions, the agency issued updated information and formally cancelled the warning, ending the tsunami alert imposed after the 7.7-magnitude earthquake.

15 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Indonesia lifts tsunami warning after a 7.7-magnitude earthquake strikes near Flores

Indonesia has condemned Israel for rejecting a proposed 15-point roadmap for Gaza. At a news conference in Jakarta on August 14, 2026, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Vahd Nabil A. Mulachela said Israel’s position was an effort to obstruct international efforts to end the conflict.

Mulachela said Jakarta views the roadmap as a collective international initiative to restore Palestinians’ living conditions in Gaza. He said the broader plan, backed by various parties, aims to end the war, restore stability in Gaza and strengthen stability across the region. Indonesia rejects any effort that could hinder this collective undertaking, he added.

The spokesperson also said the Gaza recovery plan had been approved through UN Security Council Resolution 2803 in November 2025. On Sunday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected the document presented to the Board of Peace, saying Israeli troops would not withdraw from Gaza until Hamas was fully disarmed. Gaza’s Health Ministry said Israel’s daily attacks have continued despite a ceasefire taking effect on October 10, 2025.

14 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Indonesia condemns Israel's rejection of a 15-point Gaza roadmap

Wildfires across Indonesia have burned more than 107,000 hectares and sent smoke into neighboring Malaysia, where air pollution has reached unhealthy levels in parts of Sarawak. In the small Sarawak town of Serian, the air pollution index measured 195 on Wednesday morning, according to the report published on August 12. At least nine areas of Sarawak recorded unhealthy air quality as haze from the Indonesian fires spread across the border.

Indonesian authorities are using aircraft for cloud seeding to create artificial rainfall as they struggle to contain the fires. Response efforts are being prioritized in six provinces: Jambi, South Sumatra, West Kalimantan, Central Kalimantan, South Kalimantan and Riau. These regions contain extensive peatlands that can burn easily during dry seasons. Schools in several fire-hit provinces have been closed for three days.

In Palangkaraya, Central Kalimantan, resident Darwin Romi said fires had persisted for more than a month, with dense smoke causing eye irritation and a strong odor. A water shortage has also hampered firefighting. About 550 hectares burned in East Java’s Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park before the fire was controlled on Monday, while the area has remained closed to tourists since August 8 amid renewed fire concerns.

12 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Indonesian wildfire haze pushes air pollution to unhealthy levels in Malaysia’s Sarawak

Authorities in Tembilahan, in Indonesia’s Indragiri Hilir Regency of Riau province, captured a wild monkey accused of carrying out attacks over several weeks that injured at least 17 people. The animal was caught in a joint operation involving police, military personnel, firefighters and wildlife officials on Thursday. Authorities had set traps in the area after attacks began on July 25.

Indragiri Hilir police chief Doni Eko Listiyanto said Riau’s natural resources conservation agency, BKSDA, placed three traps at locations where the monkey was believed to hide. One of them caught the animal. Officials believe the detained monkey was responsible for the incidents, which began after a group of long-tailed macaques was seen in Tembilahan.

The reported victims include children and older people. Attacks occurred on roads, outside homes and inside several houses, and some injured people required stitches. Officials had suspected a large adult male monkey. They said the captured animal’s size, aggressive behavior and a distinctive facial mark matched descriptions provided by victims and witnesses. All schools in Tembilahan district had been ordered to suspend in-person classes for three days and begin online learning from Wednesday for safety reasons.

07 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Authorities captured a suspected macaque after attacks injured at least 17 people in Riau

At least five people were killed and at least 41 remained missing after a passenger ferry carrying 271 people caught fire off Indonesia’s main island of Java. The Mutiara Sentosa-2 was travelling from Surabaya in East Java to Makassar in South Sulawesi on Sunday morning when the fire began in waters near Sumenep, between 6 a.m. and 7 a.m. local time, according to the National Search and Rescue Agency, Basarnas.

The ferry carried 232 passengers and 39 crew members. By Sunday afternoon, 225 people had been rescued alive and five bodies recovered. Authorities said flames engulfed most of the vessel. Footage released by Basarnas showed thick black smoke spreading from one side of the ferry, while videos circulating on social media showed passengers wearing life jackets and gathering on the deck and upper sections. Many jumped into the sea as the fire and smoke spread quickly.

The operator, PT Atosim Lampung Pelayaran, notified Surabaya’s rescue office about an hour after the incident. The captain reported the fire near the northern tip of Madura Island before contact was lost. A tugboat and another nearby ship began evacuating passengers. Authorities have launched an investigation, while rescue vessels and a naval warship were deployed despite rough weather and seas.

03 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Five dead and at least 41 missing after a ferry fire off Java

Five people, including a seven-year-old girl, were rescued after drifting for three days at sea following a passenger boat sinking near Selayar Island, south of Sulawesi in eastern Indonesia. The incident occurred on Wednesday when the boat, carrying more than 70 passengers, went down. The survivors were part of a group of 25 previously listed as missing and became separated due to strong winds.

Local search and rescue official Muhammad Arif Anwar said the survivors tied together jerrycans and cork pieces with rope to stay afloat. They were rescued by local fishermen on Saturday afternoon, who then radioed authorities for assistance. The rescued individuals appeared weak and exhausted after days without sufficient food or water but managed to survive by eating instant noodles and biscuits.

Search operations for the remaining missing passengers are ongoing, involving five large ships, a reconnaissance plane, and a helicopter. Authorities noted that Indonesia frequently experiences maritime accidents due to poor safety standards and adverse weather conditions.

19 Jul 26 1NOJOR.COM

Five rescued after three days adrift following boat sinking in eastern Indonesia

A 6.7 magnitude shallow earthquake struck Central Indonesia on Tuesday morning, according to the United States Geological Survey. The quake hit southeast of Palu city in Central Sulawesi province at 10:27 a.m. local time. Authorities reported no immediate casualties or major damage following the tremor.

Indonesia’s Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency said the quake was strongly felt in Palu and Sigi areas but confirmed there was no tsunami threat. A local resident, Nurhaida, described feeling a strong jolt while working in her kitchen and quickly evacuated her home with her children.

Indonesia lies on the Pacific “Ring of Fire,” a region prone to frequent seismic activity due to tectonic plate collisions. The area has a history of destructive earthquakes, including a 7.5 magnitude quake and tsunami in Palu in 2018 that killed more than 2,200 people.

16 Jun 26 1NOJOR.COM

6.7 magnitude earthquake hits Central Indonesia, no casualties or tsunami warning

Indonesia’s Mount Dukono volcano in North Maluku province erupted on Friday morning at 7:41 a.m. local time, killing three people, including two foreign nationals and one local resident. Authorities reported that at least 20 climbers remain trapped on the mountain, prompting an ongoing rescue operation. Five others were injured in the eruption, and the victims include two Singaporean citizens, according to local officials.

Police Chief Erlichson Pasaribu confirmed the fatalities, while local rescue agency head Iwan Ramdhani told Reuters that efforts are continuing to locate and evacuate the trapped climbers. Among those stranded are nine Singaporeans and several Indonesian nationals. The eruption sent volcanic ash up to 10 kilometers into the sky, leading authorities to issue the third-highest alert level for the volcano.

Rescue teams are working under challenging conditions as ash clouds and unstable terrain complicate access to the affected area, according to officials cited by BBC and Reuters.

08 May 26 1NOJOR.COM

Mount Dukono eruption in Indonesia kills three, rescue teams search for trapped climbers

An Iranian very large crude carrier (VLCC) named 'Derya' has entered Indonesia’s Lombok Strait, reportedly evading detection by the United States Navy. The vessel is now moving through Indonesian waters toward the Riau Islands, according to the oil shipping monitoring group TankerTrackers.com. The group stated on social media that the ship had earlier attempted to unload 1.88 million barrels of Iranian crude oil in India in mid-April but failed.

TankerTrackers added that after the failed attempt in India, the Derya continued southward while other Iranian vessels in the region were being forced back to Iran by the US Navy. The firm also reported that another Iranian supertanker, the 'Huge', carrying 1.9 million barrels of oil, entered the Lombok Strait a day earlier, also heading toward the Riau Islands.

According to TankerTrackers, a total of 25 Iranian oil tankers departed from Iran in April. Of these, seven were sent back to Iranian ports and two were seized by US forces, while the rest reached their destinations successfully.

04 May 26 1NOJOR.COM

Iran’s second supertanker enters Indonesian waters, evading US Navy surveillance


The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.