Web Analytics
Bangla
Loading date...
RECENT THREADS SOCIAL PAGE LOGIN

US government debt has exceeded $40 trillion for the first time, according to US Treasury Department data cited by the Associated Press. The milestone was reported on August 20, 2026, as federal spending continues to rise on defence, social programmes and interest payments tied to budget deficits.

The debt reached $39 trillion only five months earlier, in March, meaning it grew faster than forecasts had anticipated. The report said lower revenue from Trump administration tariffs that were cancelled was among the factors accelerating borrowing, as expected revenue worth several billion dollars did not materialise.

The increase highlights tensions among Trump administration priorities, including higher defence spending and efforts to reduce energy and food prices. Defence spending is also required for Trump’s continuing war against Iran, adding pressure on the government’s wider finances. AP said US government debt has more than doubled in less than a decade, during which Donald Trump and Joe Biden both served as president, and has quadrupled in less than 20 years.

20 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

US government debt exceeds $40 trillion as spending and borrowing pressures mount

Texas has seen a decades-long increase in its Muslim population, particularly around Dallas, where families have moved for schools, comparatively affordable housing and established community networks. Dozens of mosques and Islamic institutions have emerged across the Dallas-Fort Worth area, but the expansion has coincided with stronger Islamophobic rhetoric, social hostility and political campaigns, according to a New York Times report cited on August 19, 2026.

The report described Muslims sharing accounts of derogatory comments while praying publicly or sitting in parks. A person was arrested over alleged terrorist threats against a major Islamic center in Houston, while a woman who told Muslim shoppers they were unwelcome later lost her job but received nearly $250,000 from supporters. Ghulam Kehar said hostility made him worried about leaving his wife and four children in Texas while serving with the US Coast Guard.

Political disputes have centered on a proposed mosque-linked development east of Dallas, initially called EPIC City and later renamed The Meadow. Governor Greg Abbott and Attorney General Ken Paxton opened investigations after criticism, while developers said the project would be open to people of all faiths and backgrounds. Muslim leaders are considering engagement and stronger legal responses to false allegations.

20 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Texas Muslim population growth is accompanied by rising Islamophobic rhetoric and political pressure

The US Navy is facing renewed scrutiny over its sea-based military capability following a series of technical failures, accidents, extended deployments and shipbuilding delays. On July 24, the guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold suffered a generator failure during routine operations in the South China Sea, leaving it without electricity for four days. Food supply, toilets, air conditioning and access to clean water were disrupted, and the Navy is investigating the cause.

Nearly 5,000 sailors aboard USS Abraham Lincoln have remained at sea for more than 250 days after a deployment that began in November was extended several times. Reports cited food shortages, water problems, damaged pipelines and growing fatigue, though the Navy denied parts of the allegations. A March fire in the laundry area of USS Gerald R. Ford took more than 30 hours to control, injuring two sailors and causing smoke-related illness among others.

USS Harry S. Truman was involved in a collision near Port Said, Egypt, and lost two F/A-18 aircraft in the Red Sea last year. Investigations cited weak communication, limited training and excessive pressure. A GAO report said shipbuilding budgets nearly doubled over two decades without a significant fleet expansion, while China has more than 370 ships compared with fewer than 300 for the United States.

19 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Technical failures, long deployments and delays deepen pressure on the US Navy

The United States has imposed sanctions on International Criminal Court President Tomoko Akane and court official Abdoulaye Sey. The US Treasury added both officials to its Specially Designated Nationals list on Tuesday, according to the report published on August 19, 2026.

The measures freeze any assets they hold in the United States and prohibit financial transactions with US citizens and institutions. With the latest designations, 10 ICC officials have been sanctioned under an executive order issued by President Donald Trump on February 6, 2025.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio alleged that Akane and Sey were directly involved in efforts to investigate, arrest or prosecute officials from countries that do not accept the court's jurisdiction. He said Washington would broaden efforts to curb the ICC's influence and activities, urging other countries to halt funding and participation. Akane had previously said sanctions would not affect the court's judicial independence, adding that it would not yield to pressure. The ICC had not formally responded to the latest sanctions.

19 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

US sanctions ICC President Tomoko Akane and official Abdoulaye Sey

A dispute has emerged in Texas over planned and existing airport facilities for Muslim passengers to perform ablution before prayers. Governor Greg Abbott ordered a review of state funding for Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport, and said grants could be halted. The issue was also referred to the US Department of Transportation for investigation.

The controversy began over a proposal for a separate ablution area at Dallas-Fort Worth. Abbott argued that publicly operated airports should not give special treatment to one religious group. The airport subsequently cancelled the plan, saying a rapid review found that the project would not provide the expected operational benefits.

Houston’s airport has had an ablution facility since 2024. Airport officials said it is available to all passengers, staff and others with terminal access, rather than only Muslims. Houston Mayor John Whitmire similarly said it does not provide preferential treatment to any religion. The Council on American-Islamic Relations called the governor’s stance political and anti-Muslim, describing ablution space as a routine passenger service that can also support cleanliness and management.

19 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Texas funding review sparks debate over airport ablution facilities for Muslim passengers

Former CIA analyst Larry Johnson claimed that nearly 30 sailors aboard the US aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln attempted suicide amid a prolonged Iran war. Johnson made the remarks on Monday night during Al Mayadeen’s program “The Great Standoff: Iran and the World,” in a discussion with Tehran University professor Mohammad Marandi. The article was published on August 18, 2026.

Johnson said a report had cited six sailors attempting to jump into the water, but a recently retired US military officer told him the actual number might be closer to 30. He also alleged that morale and suicide-related concerns extend to other branches of the US military. Johnson further claimed the United States faces growing constraints in advanced weapons stocks, supply systems and naval logistics.

Marandi said Iran may be better able than the United States to withstand a long war, while rising fuel costs could intensify US public opposition. Both speakers described disruption in the Strait of Hormuz as a major economic risk. They also discussed Iran’s ties with Russia, China and Pakistan, and potential Iran-Oman arrangements concerning the waterway.

19 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Former CIA analyst claims nearly 30 sailors attempted suicide aboard USS Abraham Lincoln

Abdul El Sayed has secured the Democratic nomination in Michigan and will seek to become the first Muslim senator in United States history. The 41-year-old former public health official confirmed the nomination in early August and is due to face Republican Mike Rogers in Michigan's Senate contest during the November midterm election. In his victory speech, El Sayed described how his Egyptian immigrant father came to Detroit, allowing him to identify as American.

His campaign has focused on removing money from politics, putting money back in people's pockets and expanding access to healthcare. El Sayed has criticized President Trump's policies and opposed US funding for the militaries of any country, including Israel. He called assistance to Israel's military the worst use of US tax dollars. Analysts cited his political commitments, anti-Israel stance and demand to end American military funding abroad as important to his rise.

Although he did not receive support from Democratic Party central leaders, El Sayed has been backed by Bernie Sanders and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. He previously won more than 30 percent of the vote in Michigan's 2018 gubernatorial election. As Detroit's public health director from 2015, he pursued measures including reducing child mortality, providing free eyeglasses to students and testing lead levels at more than 100 schools.

19 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Abdul El Sayed wins Michigan Democratic nomination, seeking to become first Muslim US senator

US President Donald Trump is seeking to revive relations with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un amid a complicated US situation over Iran, according to a report published on August 18. Citing his “very good relationship” with Kim, Trump ordered a significant reduction in joint military exercises with South Korea. The move raises new questions over Washington’s long-standing military relationship with Seoul.

On Sunday, Trump said Kim had responded to his outreach, but he gave no details about the message or whether a new meeting between the two leaders could occur. Trump described the joint drills as costly and as a “sign of hostility” toward North Korea. He also expressed dissatisfaction that South Korea had not supported the US initiative to address Iran’s nuclear programme.

During Trump’s first term, he and Kim held several meetings, but they did not reach a lasting agreement to end North Korea’s nuclear programme. North Korea has since strengthened ties with Russia and China while continuing to expand its military capabilities. Analysts said the renewed diplomatic effort signals a potentially important shift in US foreign policy, though they questioned whether it would succeed while unsettling a close ally such as South Korea.

19 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Trump seeks renewed Kim ties while ordering a major cut in US-South Korea military drills

A Reuters-Ipsos opinion poll found US President Donald Trump’s approval rating has fallen to 33 percent, the lowest level of his current term. The report, published on August 18, 2026, said 64 percent of Americans expressed dissatisfaction with his performance. The online survey was conducted over four days among 1,166 US adults and had a margin of error of 3 percentage points.

The report linked falling support to US involvement in the ongoing war with Iran and higher energy prices. Nearly 80 percent of respondents said they believed the war with Iran could be prolonged, while only about 20 percent said US participation was the right decision. Support for involvement was not complete even among Republican voters, according to the report.

Trump’s approval was 35 percent in an earlier Reuters-Ipsos poll at the beginning of August, meaning it dropped another 2 percentage points in a short period. Pressure on international energy trade and rising US petrol prices have increased concern about living costs. With midterm elections due in November, the report said the decline in support is a concern for Republicans.

18 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Reuters-Ipsos poll puts Trump approval at a term-low 33%

US Air Force Major Jason Watson has faced disciplinary action after posting on social media that President Donald Trump should be impeached, according to the report published on August 18, 2026. Watson made the call after US military strikes in Iran and publicly criticized Trump’s Iran policy. He questioned the president’s decision to take military action against Iran and said it warranted impeachment.

The report says US military personnel face strict restrictions on political activity and public political statements. Service members on duty cannot take part in activities that could call the military’s political neutrality into question. The action against Watson has prompted renewed debate over the need to uphold military discipline and political neutrality.

Critics have raised questions about how much freedom a service member has to personally criticize government policy or express opinions. The case emerged amid intensified political debate in the United States over the Trump administration’s military and foreign policy toward Iran. It has also renewed questions about the boundaries of free expression, political neutrality and military discipline within the armed forces.

18 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Air Force Major Jason Watson faces action after calling for Trump’s impeachment

The US Supreme Court has rejected President Donald Trump’s request for reconsideration in the civil case brought by writer and former magazine columnist E. Jean Carroll over sexual abuse and defamation. The decision appeared on the court’s August order list released Monday. It was the second rejection after the court declined in June to hear Trump’s appeal of the 2023 verdict.

In the 2023 case, a jury found Trump liable for sexually abusing Carroll in 1996 and later defaming her. It ordered him to pay roughly $5 million in damages. Carroll’s lawyer, Roberta Kaplan, said they were pleased that the Supreme Court again declined to hear the case, adding that the jury’s unanimous decision was now final and could not be challenged in any court.

The Supreme Court gave no explanation for denying Trump’s request, one of 33 reconsideration requests rejected that day. After the June denial, Carroll received about $5.8 million in damages and interest. Trump is also appealing to the Supreme Court a separate 2024 jury award of $83.3 million to Carroll in a defamation case.

18 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

US Supreme Court again rejects Trump’s bid to revisit E. Jean Carroll civil verdict

Meta is set to face a jury trial over allegations brought by 30 US states that it harmed children’s mental health and violated their privacy. Proceedings are due to begin in a California federal court before Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers. The lawsuit alleges that the technology company violated federal and state child-protection laws through its Facebook and Instagram operations.

The plaintiffs are seeking more than $1 trillion in damages and major changes to how Facebook and Instagram operate. The states allege that Meta’s algorithms and platform design keep children and teenagers on its apps for long periods and foster addiction. Their proposed changes include ending like counts, disabling infinite scrolling and automatic video playback, and removing filters that create unrealistic images.

Other demands include preventing minors from opening multiple accounts, eliminating features that disappear after a set time such as Instagram Stories, and requiring parental verification for children’s accounts. Meta has denied the allegations, saying it has long worked on safety and support for younger users and will present its position in court. A New Mexico court has already fined Meta $942 million in a child-safety case.

18 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Meta faces a jury trial over child safety and privacy claims from 30 US states

The Pentagon has signed a $22.9 billion contract with Raytheon to increase production of Tomahawk cruise missiles amid the ongoing war with Iran, according to a report published on August 17, 2026. The seven-year agreement plans to raise Tomahawk output to more than 1,000 missiles annually as reports emerge of declining US missile stocks. The contract follows extensive US use of long-range weapons during the conflict.

On Monday, acting US Navy Secretary Hung Cao said the agreement would accelerate deliveries at an “unprecedented pace” to meet current operational needs. A Center for Strategic and International Studies analysis estimated that US stocks of Patriot and THAAD interceptor missiles had fallen by about half or more since the conflict began. President Donald Trump and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth had previously denied reports that US missile inventories were running low.

The report said a Tomahawk strike near Shajareh Tayebah Primary School in Minab, southern Iran, on February 28, 2026, killed more than 170 people, including students, most of them children. It said preliminary investigations and video analysis confirmed the strike resulted from a US military targeting error. Tomahawks are launched mainly from warships and submarines and can strike targets more than 1,600 kilometers away.

18 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Pentagon signs $22.9 billion Raytheon deal to expand Tomahawk missile production

New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani has announced 2,000 free Broadway tickets for high school students in a video message delivered in clear Bengali. The report, published on August 17, 2026, said the video has become a major topic of discussion on social media. The initiative will offer students a chance to attend renowned Broadway productions without charge.

The tickets will be distributed through a lottery in partnership with the Theatre Development Fund. Students selected through the lottery will be able to watch seven Broadway shows for free. The report said the programme aims to introduce students to New York’s own culture, as Broadway ticket prices can be difficult for ordinary people to afford.

Special discounts will also be available for tickets to other shows. The report linked Mamdani’s Bengali-language message to New York’s sizeable Bangladeshi and Bengali-speaking immigrant population, particularly in Parkchester and Westchester Square in the Bronx. It added that he had received substantial votes from those areas in the mayoral election and has previously spoken in Bengali, Hindi and Urdu.

18 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Mamdani announces 2,000 free Broadway tickets for New York high school students in Bengali

US President Donald Trump has decided to scale back planned military exercises with South Korea, a move Robert Kelly, an international relations professor at Pusan National University, linked to Trump’s failure in the war against Iran. In comments to Al Jazeera cited in a report published on August 17, 2026, Kelly said Trump had expected the conflict to end quickly.

Kelly said Trump appeared to have anticipated a sudden campaign similar to the rapid operation he conducted in Venezuela in January. Instead, the situation grew beyond control into a major conflict and evolved into an unusual cycle of reciprocal attacks. He said the conflict was beginning to resemble what Americans call an “endless war.”

According to Kelly, Trump now sees himself as trapped and is looking for someone to blame. He said US allies have become convenient targets, noting that Trump had previously criticized NATO for the same reason. Kelly added that South Korea has not directly participated in the war and was not consulted, while Trump is trying to conceal or shield himself from responsibility for the crisis in the Gulf region.

17 Aug 26 1NOJOR.COM

Kelly links Trump’s planned South Korea drill cuts to his Iran war setback


The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.