The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
Nagorik Oikya president Mahmudur Rahman Manna has filed an application with the Appellate Division’s chamber judge after the High Court rejected his writ seeking removal of his name from the loan defaulter list. The chamber judge, Justice Md Rezaul Haque, has kept the hearing on the petition seeking a stay on the High Court order as stand over or postponed. On December 24, the High Court dismissed Manna’s writ, creating uncertainty about his eligibility to contest in the upcoming election. Deputy Attorney General Muhammad Shafiqul Rahman told reporters that Manna had repaid part of his loan before filing the writ, requesting the removal of his name from the Credit Information Bureau (CIB) list, which would have allowed him to participate in the election. However, the court was not satisfied with the explanations provided by his lawyers and dismissed the petition. According to Bangladesh Bank regulations, a borrower must deposit at least two percent of the loan amount. Manna’s lawyers stated that he had paid more than that, but the High Court ruled that it would not direct Bangladesh Bank to remove his name from the CIB list. The court also noted that the concerned Islami Bank branch would inform the central bank about the repayment details.
Bangladeshi expatriates in France have announced continued protests demanding justice for the killing of Shahid Sharif Osman Hadi, a spokesperson of Inquilab Moncho and a frontline participant in the July uprising. At a discussion and prayer meeting held last Friday evening in the Ponta area near Paris, they warned of launching a global 'remittance shutdown' campaign if fair trial proceedings are not ensured. The event was organized by the Shahid Osman Hadi Supporters Forum and chaired by senior journalist Abdul Mannan Azad. It was conducted by forum convener and expatriate journalist Mohammad Kamaruzzaman, with several community leaders and activists addressing the gathering. Speakers highlighted Hadi’s role as a unifying figure beyond political divisions and pledged to continue their movement until justice is achieved and an equitable Bangladesh is established. The meeting concluded with a prayer session led by Maulana Badrul Bin Harun of MC Institute France, attended by numerous expatriate activists and journalists.
Meghalaya Police and India’s Border Security Force (BSF) have denied Bangladesh Police’s claim that two suspects in the killing of Inquilab Mancha spokesperson Shahid Osman Hadi crossed into India’s Meghalaya state through the Haluaghat border. Senior officials from both agencies told the Hindustan Times on Sunday that the allegations were misleading and lacked evidence. They stated that no suspects had been identified or arrested in the Garo Hills region and that there had been no formal or informal communication with Bangladeshi authorities. Earlier, Dhaka Metropolitan Police’s Additional Commissioner S. N. Md. Nazrul Islam said the suspects, Faisal Karim Masud and Alamgir Sheikh, fled through Haluaghat after the shooting, assisted by intermediaries. However, Meghalaya Police dismissed this account, saying there was no intelligence or field verification supporting such claims. BSF Inspector General O. P. Upadhyay also rejected the report, saying no evidence existed of any border crossing. Both agencies said surveillance along the border had been strengthened and intelligence operations intensified to prevent misuse of the frontier by criminal networks.
Tasnim Jara, the senior joint member secretary of the National Citizens Party (NCP), has resigned from her position and dismissed speculation that she might join the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP). She confirmed on Sunday, December 28, that there is no possibility of her joining the BNP. The announcement followed her earlier statement on Saturday through her verified Facebook page, where she declared her intention to contest the upcoming election as an independent candidate. To qualify as an independent candidate, Jara has begun collecting signatures from one percent of voters in her constituency, Dhaka-9, which includes Khilgaon, Sabujbagh, Mugda, and Manda areas. The constituency has a total of 469,300 registered voters, requiring her to gather 4,693 signatures. The signature collection drive began on Sunday morning and reportedly received a strong response. According to the Representation of the People Order, independent candidates must submit a list of supporting voters’ signatures along with their nomination papers. The deadline for submitting nomination papers for the 13th National Parliamentary Election is Monday, leaving Jara limited time to complete the process.
Education adviser Professor Dr. Chowdhury Rafiqul Abrar stated that the government made its utmost effort to ensure high-quality and error-free textbooks for students. He made the remarks on Sunday during the inauguration of the ‘2026 academic year textbook softcopy upload’ program. Despite various obstacles and pressures, he said no shortcomings were allowed in fulfilling this responsibility. Abrar explained that the Ministry of Education and the National Curriculum and Textbook Board (NCTB) held multiple meetings to ensure textbook accuracy. Around 250 skilled teachers from Dhaka schools worked for weeks editing hard copies, while about 6,000 teachers nationwide provided feedback online. Their verified suggestions were incorporated through an expert committee. Printing challenges such as unpaid bills, bank loans, electricity supply, and book transport were addressed through continuous supervision by ministry officials. He added that 26 printing institutions have completed full delivery of textbooks, with six more expected to finish by tomorrow. The government chose to rely on domestic printers instead of foreign printing or direct purchase proposals, emphasizing trust in local capacity.
Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami Ameer Dr. Shafiqur Rahman announced that the party’s seat-sharing agreement within its political alliance is nearly complete. Speaking at a press conference at the National Press Club in Dhaka on Sunday at 5 p.m., he said the coalition aims to ensure a fair election. He emphasized that the alliance is not limited to electoral cooperation but also focuses on political movements and national development. Dr. Rahman stated that although more parties had shown interest, they could not all be included. The alliance, originally comprising eight like-minded parties, has now expanded with the inclusion of the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) and the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP). He added that final seat allocations will be determined after nomination papers are submitted, based on fairness. The press conference was conducted by Bangladesh Khelafat Majlish Ameer Mamunul Haque and attended by senior leaders from the allied parties, including retired Colonel Oli Ahmed and representatives from Islami Andolon Bangladesh and other member organizations.
Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami chief Dr. Shafiqur Rahman announced the formation of a ten-party electoral alliance led by Jamaat, incorporating the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) and the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP). He made the statement at a press conference held at the National Press Club in Dhaka on Sunday afternoon. Rahman said discussions on seat distribution among alliance members were nearly complete, with only minor issues remaining due to the late inclusion of two parties. He assured that the final seat allocation would be announced soon. The alliance now includes ten parties: Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami, Islami Andolan Bangladesh, Bangladesh Khelafat Andolan, Bangladesh Khelafat Majlish, Khelafat Majlish, Nezame Islam Party, Jatiya Ganatantrik Party, Bangladesh Development Party, LDP, and NCP. Rahman noted that although several other parties had shown interest, they could not be included in the coalition. He emphasized that seat distribution would be finalized after nomination submissions and would be based on fairness. The press conference was moderated by Bangladesh Khelafat Majlish chief Mamunul Haque and attended by senior leaders from eight allied parties.
Russian President Vladimir Putin stated that Ukraine shows no urgency toward establishing peace and warned that if Kyiv does not pursue a peaceful resolution, Russia will achieve its objectives through force. His remarks were reported by the state news agency TASS. The statement came after Russia launched extensive missile and drone attacks on Ukraine. In response, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said that while Kyiv seeks peace, Moscow continues to show a determination to wage war. Zelensky is scheduled to meet U.S. President Donald Trump in Florida on Sunday to discuss a possible peace agreement, and Putin’s comments emerged ahead of that meeting. Reuters reported that the White House did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Meanwhile, the Kremlin announced on Telegram that Russian forces had captured several towns in eastern Ukraine and the Zaporizhzhia region. However, Ukraine’s military denied Russia’s claims, calling them baseless and asserting that Ukrainian troops continue defensive operations in those areas.
The National Curriculum and Textbook Board (NCTB) has released online versions of all 2026 academic year textbooks as concerns grew that not all students would receive printed copies on time. Starting Sunday, students from primary, ibtedayi, secondary, and dakhil levels can read and download free PDF versions of their textbooks from the NCTB website. The launch event was inaugurated by Education Adviser Professor Dr. Chowdhury Rafiqul Abrar and Mass Education Adviser Professor Dr. Bidhan Ranjan Roy Poddar. According to NCTB, a total of 647 textbooks covering pre-primary, primary (Bangla and English versions), ibtedayi, five indigenous languages, secondary (Bangla and English versions), dakhil, dakhil (vocational), and technical levels are now available online. The board reported that 100 percent of pre-primary and primary textbooks—totaling 117,046,461 copies—were printed and distributed nationwide by December 16. Printing and distribution for other levels are nearing completion, with 78.72 percent of ibtedayi and secondary books printed and 58.68 percent delivered. NCTB expects that at least 80 percent of secondary students will receive their printed books on the first day of the new year, with the remainder distributed within days.
Bangladesh’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has rejected recent comments by the spokesperson of India’s Ministry of External Affairs regarding communal violence and the condition of minority communities in Bangladesh. In a statement issued on Sunday, December 28, the ministry said the remarks from New Delhi do not reflect the actual situation and misrepresent Bangladesh’s long-standing tradition of communal harmony. The statement asserted that the Bangladesh government firmly rejects any misleading, exaggerated, or politically motivated narratives. It alleged that isolated criminal incidents were being deliberately portrayed as institutional persecution of the Hindu community, which was being misused to spread anti-Bangladesh sentiment in parts of India. The ministry also noted attempts to incite the Indian public against Bangladesh, its diplomatic missions, and other institutions through selective and biased interpretations. Referring to a specific example cited by the Indian spokesperson, Bangladesh clarified that the individual mentioned was a listed criminal who died during an extortion attempt involving a Muslim associate, and the suspect was later arrested. The ministry urged Indian quarters to refrain from spreading misleading narratives, warning that such actions undermine neighborly relations and mutual trust.
BNP Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir has alleged that certain groups are conspiring behind the scenes to destabilize Bangladesh. Speaking on Sunday afternoon at a meeting with Islamic scholars organized by the Manab Kalyan Parishad in Thakurgaon, he said the country is passing through a critical period marked by confusion and unrest. He urged everyone to remain vigilant so that the nation does not fall into darkness again. Fakhrul emphasized that the upcoming 13th national parliamentary election is highly significant and warned that attempts are being made to disrupt it. He stated that such efforts must be prevented. Addressing misconceptions about his party, he said that as Muslims comprising 90 percent of the population, they are committed to protecting the country’s religious and cultural values and will not support any law outside the Quran and Sunnah. Calling this his last election, Fakhrul sought support from the audience and requested prayers for BNP Chairperson Begum Khaleda Zia, who is ill after being released from prison following six years of incarceration.
Bangladesh recorded its lowest temperature of the season in Nikli upazila of Kishoreganj on Sunday morning. According to the first-class weather observatory in Nikli, the temperature was measured at 9.8 degrees Celsius at 9 a.m., marking the lowest in the country. The cold wave has significantly disrupted daily life in the haor region. Local residents described the cold as unusually severe. Pedestrian Md. Imam Hossain, 65, said he had never experienced such intense cold before and that movement had become difficult. Freedom fighter Idris Ali, 72, noted that public life in Nikli had nearly come to a standstill, with the poor, children, and elderly suffering the most from the biting cold. Senior observer Akhtaruzzaman Faruk reported that temperatures in Kishoreganj had been dropping for several days due to dense fog and cold winds. He added that the temperature might continue to fall in the coming days as the cold wave persists.
Housing and Public Works Ministry adviser Adilur Rahman Khan has said that the upcoming 13th national election will be held in a festive atmosphere with spontaneous participation from people across Bangladesh. He made the remarks on Sunday, December 28, after inspecting a residential building project for municipal sanitation workers in Madaripur. Adilur stated that citizens had not been able to vote freely for the past 15 years, but this time they would exercise their voting rights. He added that the parliamentary election would take place alongside a public referendum on the July Charter, allowing people to express their opinions. According to him, all patriotic citizens would support and participate in the election, though some groups might attempt sabotage or conspiracy. He emphasized that the people of Bangladesh would remain united to resist any such attempts. Senior local officials, including the Madaripur deputy commissioner and other administrative officers, were present during his visit.
Mahmudur Rahman, editor of the newspaper Amar Desh, filed a defamation case in Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Md. Jewel Rana’s court on Sunday against two individuals for allegedly spreading false information on Facebook. The case accuses Prothom Alo columnist A.F.M. Rashedul Haque (Mallik Maruf) and BNP Information and Technology Secretary A.K.M. Wahiduzzaman Apollo of posting and sharing claims that Amar Desh was involved in an attack, vandalism, and arson at the Prothom Alo office. Rahman stated that the Facebook posts severely damaged his and his newspaper’s reputation, creating hostility and resentment among the public. He alleged that those spreading such misinformation were acting as agents of Indian expansionism and conspiring to shut down Amar Desh because of its stance against Indian dominance and the former government. The court recorded Rahman’s statement and kept the case pending for an order, accepting charges under sections 500 and 109, while awaiting government approval for section 505. Rahman emphasized that Amar Desh had tried to calm the situation during the attacks on Prothom Alo and The Daily Star and denied any involvement in the incidents.
Large-scale illegal sand extraction has severely damaged hills and streams in Bahubal upazila of Habiganj. Over recent months, sand looters have cut through hills and channels, removing vast quantities of valuable silica sand. The report states that these groups are not ordinary traders but politically connected networks operating at night. Their activities have caused major damage to the road passing through the 10th section of Amtali Plantation in Vadeswar Union, turning parts of it into a canal and triggering hill collapses. According to the upazila administration, no sand quarry has been officially leased in Bahubal during the current fiscal year. Yet, politically linked sand syndicates based in Mirpur continue to control the illegal extraction from Mushai Hill. The Amtali Plantation authorities have strengthened night patrols to stop the theft, while the administration has conducted multiple raids in Sundratiki stream, Mushai Hill, and deep forest areas. Assistant Commissioner (Land) Md. Mahbubul Islam said that operations against sand smuggling and soil cutting are ongoing, with fines and jail terms being imposed. The administration plans to continue these enforcement drives.
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.