The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
BNP’s acting chairman Tarique Rahman visited the party’s chairperson’s political office in Gulshan, Dhaka, on Sunday afternoon. According to the party’s media cell, a room has been prepared for him on the second floor of the office, where he will conduct political activities. Party sources said Rahman plans to contest the upcoming national election from two constituencies—Dhaka-17 and Bogura-6. On the same day, he collected nomination papers for the Dhaka-17 seat from the Divisional Commissioner’s Office in Segunbagicha, Dhaka. The visit marks Rahman’s active engagement in the party’s election preparations, with arrangements being made at the Gulshan office to facilitate his political operations.
Hamas has called on Israel to allow an impartial international investigation into the October 7, 2023 attacks in southern Israel. The Palestinian group released a 42-page document rejecting accusations of killing or committing atrocities against Israeli civilians. The document provides detailed accounts of the events of that day, Hamas’s perspective on Israel’s actions in Gaza, and its view of the ongoing conflict. According to the document, Hamas claims Western media and pro-Israel lobby groups spread misleading narratives about the attack, including false reports of child killings and sexual violence. It states that such claims were used to justify what Hamas describes as a genocidal campaign in Gaza. The group says it had offered to release civilian hostages shortly after the attack, but Israel initially refused. During a brief truce in November 2023, about 100 hostages were exchanged for Palestinian prisoners. Hamas attributes the October 7 assault to decades of Israeli occupation, Gaza’s blockade, repeated violations of the Oslo Accords, and international inaction. The document concludes that Hamas is an inseparable part of the Palestinian national structure.
Ahsan Habib Lincoln, secretary general of the Jatiya Party (Kazi Zafar) faction, has resigned from his post. He confirmed his resignation on Sunday morning and announced through his Facebook profile on Saturday night that he will contest the upcoming national parliamentary election as an independent candidate from Kushtia-2 (Mirpur-Veramara). Lincoln stated that he would collect his nomination papers on Monday, December 29. In his Facebook post, Lincoln expressed frustration over not receiving a nomination and said his long political dedication had not been properly valued. He claimed to have been betrayed by both the BNP and his own party. He wrote that he was leaving the party to seek judgment from the people of his constituency and criticized the BNP’s acting chairman Tarique Rahman for failing to uphold promises made during the 12-party alliance meeting. Lincoln’s resignation and independent candidacy mark a significant shift within the Jatiya Party (Kazi Zafar) faction ahead of the national election, reflecting internal dissatisfaction and strained alliances.
Two associates of Faisal, the prime suspect in the murder of Inkilab Mancha spokesperson Shahid Sharif Osman Bin Hadi, have been arrested in India, according to Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) Additional Commissioner (Crime and Operations) S N Md Nazrul Islam. He disclosed the information at a press briefing on Sunday at the DMP Media Centre, where he discussed progress in the investigation. Nazrul Islam said Faisal fled to Meghalaya, India, where local police detained his two aides. So far, eleven people, including Faisal’s parents, wife, brother-in-law, and girlfriend, have been arrested in connection with the case. Investigators recovered two foreign pistols, 52 rounds of ammunition, a motorcycle with a fake number plate, and cheques worth Tk 218 crore linked to 53 accounts. The official described the killing as premeditated and confirmed that six suspects have given confessional statements. The DMP expects to submit the charge sheet within 7–10 days, by January 7. Hadi was attacked on December 12 in Dhaka’s Paltan area and later died on December 18 while under treatment in Singapore.
Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma has expressed concern over the rising Muslim population in the state, predicting that by the time the next census report is released in 2027, the proportion of Muslims of Bangladeshi origin could reach around 40 percent. He noted that in the 2011 census, Muslims made up 34 percent of Assam’s population, of which 3 percent were classified as indigenous Assamese Muslims and the remaining 31 percent were of Bangladeshi descent. Sarma also pointed out that no census was conducted in 2021. His remarks have reignited political and social debates in Assam over migration, identity, and citizenship, particularly in the context of longstanding disputes about alleged illegal immigration from Bangladesh. Discussions about demographic shifts and their social and political implications have been ongoing in the state for years. The Chief Minister’s forecast has drawn mixed reactions in political circles. Some have welcomed his emphasis on demographic issues, while others warned that such comments could inflame communal tensions.
Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) has stated that two individuals involved in the murder of Inquilab Moncho convener Sharif Osman Hadi have fled to India. The information was disclosed by DMP Additional Commissioner (Crime and Operation) S N Nazrul Islam during a press briefing at the DMP Media Center on Minto Road in Dhaka on Sunday morning. He said the investigation is being conducted with high priority and that a charge sheet will be submitted within eight to ten days. According to the DMP official, the suspects currently in custody revealed during police interrogation that two others had escaped to India. The police are continuing their investigation to identify the motive behind the killing and to locate the fugitives. The case remains under active investigation, with authorities emphasizing their commitment to completing the process promptly. The DMP’s statement indicates that cross-border coordination may become necessary as the suspects are believed to have crossed into India, potentially complicating the next phase of the investigation.
Amar Desh editor Mahmudur Rahman filed a case in Dhaka’s Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Court on Sunday, accusing two individuals of spreading false propaganda that linked his newspaper to recent attacks and arson at the offices of Prothom Alo and The Daily Star. The accused are Prothom Alo columnist A.F.M. Rashedul Haque Mallik, also known as Maruf Mallik, and BNP’s Information and Technology Affairs Secretary A.K.M. Wahiduzzaman Apollo. The case was filed under Penal Code sections 500 and 505. According to the complaint, the two accused allegedly posted fabricated and defamatory statements on Facebook on December 19, inciting hatred against Amar Desh. Mahmudur Rahman personally appeared before Magistrate Md. Jewel Rana, who recorded his statement and kept the case pending for an order, noting that action under section 505 requires government approval. Rahman requested arrest warrants and exemplary punishment for the accused. The case follows violent attacks on December 18 at the offices of Prothom Alo’s associate publication Prothoma and The Daily Star, after news of martyr Osman Hadi’s death in Singapore. Police have arrested 18 people in connection with those incidents.
The United Kingdom has imposed visa restrictions on the Democratic Republic of Congo, citing the country's refusal to take back illegal migrants and criminal offenders. The British Home Office announced the decision in a statement issued on Saturday night, noting that the move follows Congo’s failure to meet cooperation requirements. Under the new restrictions, fast-track visa services for Congolese citizens will be suspended, and VIPs and politicians from Congo will no longer receive priority services. The Home Office said the measure marks the first major change under Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood’s recently launched immigration reform program, which aims to make refugee status temporary and accelerate the deportation of undocumented migrants. The statement also mentioned that Angola and Namibia have agreed to strengthen efforts to repatriate their citizens, though none of the three countries immediately commented on the issue. Mahmood warned that if Congo does not improve cooperation, the UK could impose a complete visa ban. She thanked Angola and Namibia for their collaboration and urged Congo to act responsibly by repatriating its nationals.
Hasan Al Mamun has been appointed as the new General Secretary of Gana Odhikar Parishad. He confirmed the appointment himself on Sunday, according to a report by Amar Desh published on December 28, 2025. The position became vacant after former General Secretary Rashid Khan recently joined the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP). Rashid Khan’s move to the BNP reportedly stemmed from the belief that contesting the national election under the party’s ‘paddy sheaf’ symbol would increase his chances of winning. His departure created speculation within Gana Odhikar Parishad about who would succeed him. Hasan Al Mamun, who previously served as the party’s Senior Joint General Secretary, has now taken over the role. Before joining Gana Odhikar Parishad’s leadership, Hasan Al Mamun was known for his role as a convener of the 2018 quota reform movement. His appointment marks a leadership transition within the party following Rashid Khan’s defection.
The National Board of Revenue (NBR) of Bangladesh has extended the deadline for submitting online income tax returns by one month. According to an order signed by NBR Secretary Md. Ekramul Haque, the new deadline has been moved from December 31 to January 31. This marks the second extension of the filing period for the current fiscal year 2025–26. Previously, the NBR had already extended the submission deadline once from the original legal deadline of November 30 to December 31. The extension applies to all taxpayers who are now required to file their returns online, following a directive issued in August making e-filing mandatory for all. So far, more than 2.6 million taxpayers have submitted their e-returns for the fiscal year. The decision aims to provide additional time for taxpayers to complete their online submissions and ensure compliance with the mandatory e-filing system introduced earlier in the year.
Mahmudur Rahman, editor of the newspaper Amar Desh, filed a case at the Dhaka Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Court on Sunday, December 28, 2025. The case accuses two individuals, Rashedul Haque Mallik alias Maruf Mallik and A.K.M. Wahiduzzaman Apollo, of spreading false and fabricated allegations on Facebook that linked Amar Desh to recent attacks and arson at the offices of Prothom Alo and The Daily Star. The case was filed under sections 500, 505, and 10 of the Penal Code. Magistrate Jewel Rana of Court No. 10 stated that an order would be issued subject to government approval under section 505. According to the complaint, the accused allegedly posted false claims on December 19 intended to incite public hatred against Amar Desh. Mahmudur Rahman requested the court to issue arrest warrants and seek exemplary punishment for the accused. Barrister Tanvir Al Amin represented Amar Desh during the hearing. The background of the case involves violent incidents on December 18, when unruly groups attacked and set fire to the offices of Prothom Alo’s associate publication Prothoma and The Daily Star following reports of Shahid Osman Hadi’s death in Singapore. Police have already arrested 18 people in connection with those attacks.
A severe winter storm has blanketed the northeastern United States in snow, disrupting transportation and prompting emergency measures. As of Saturday evening local time, about 29 million people across Minneapolis, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Vermont were under winter weather alerts. According to the National Weather Service, Connecticut’s New Haven County saw more than 10 inches of snow between Friday and Saturday, while Fairfield County recorded over 9 inches. New York’s Phoenicia reported the highest snowfall at 13 inches. Central Park in New York City recorded 4.3 inches of snow, the highest since January 2022. New York Governor Kathy Hochul declared a state of emergency in more than half of the state’s counties as snow and ice made roads hazardous for travel. Flight tracking website FlightAware reported over 8,700 flight delays and more than 1,400 cancellations across the United States by Saturday night. Authorities warned that icy conditions could continue to disrupt travel and essential services as cleanup efforts proceed across affected regions.
The Pangaon Inland Container Terminal (ICT) in Keraniganj, Dhaka, is set to resume full operations in early January after years of losses and inactivity. The Chittagong Port Authority confirmed that Swiss company Medlog will take over management for 22 years, beginning in the first week of January. The terminal, built in 2013 on 64 acres at a cost of Tk 154 crore, can handle up to 200,000 containers annually. Officials expect the new arrangement to make the terminal profitable and strengthen Bangladesh’s trade and transport network. Business leaders and port users have expressed both optimism and concern. They argue that profitability will depend on reducing customs delays, shipping costs, and vessel charges. Medlog Bangladesh Private Limited plans to invest about Tk 490 crore to modernize the terminal, add new cranes, and automate transport systems. The company will also introduce specialized vessels and barges for efficient cargo movement. Experts believe the revived terminal could become a major logistics hub for Dhaka and surrounding industrial areas, easing pressure on road transport and boosting inland waterway trade efficiency.
Justice Zubayer Rahman Chowdhury was sworn in as the 26th Chief Justice of Bangladesh on Sunday morning at Bangabhaban. President Md. Shahabuddin administered the oath at 10:30 a.m., with Chief Adviser Dr. Muhammad Yunus and outgoing Chief Justice Syed Refaat Ahmed present. The ceremony was broadcast live on Bangladesh Television and Bangladesh Betar. His appointment, made on December 24, took effect following the oath. According to an earlier presidential order issued on December 20 under Article 95(1) of the Constitution, Justice Chowdhury was appointed from the Appellate Division. He began his legal career in 1985 at the Judge Court and joined the High Court Division in 1987. He became an additional judge of the High Court Division on August 27, 2003, and was confirmed two years later. On August 12, 2024, he was appointed as a judge of the Appellate Division. Justice Chowdhury holds LLB (Hons) and LLM degrees from the University of Dhaka and a master’s degree in international law from the United Kingdom.
Thousands of Palestinians displaced by two years of Israeli military operations in Gaza are facing severe hardship as winter rains flood their makeshift tents. A strong low-pressure system brought heavy rain and gusty winds across the Gaza Strip on Saturday, further worsening conditions for families already living in temporary shelters. Meteorologist Laith al-Allami told Anadolu Agency that this was the third low-pressure system of the season, with a fourth expected to begin on Monday. Since Israeli attacks began in 2023, many families have been living in tents after their homes were destroyed or damaged. Local authorities warned that continued rainfall could escalate into a full storm. Displaced residents described collapsing tents, lack of income, and difficulty obtaining clothing and bedding for children. Earlier this month, heavy rains inundated camps and temporary shelters across Gaza. At least 15 people, including three children, have died this December due to hypothermia and collapsing structures amid the cold, wet weather. Humanitarian organizations have urged that more shelters and relief supplies be allowed into the territory.
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.