The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
At a roundtable discussion titled 'Upcoming National Election and the Future of Bangladesh' held on December 27, 2025, at the National Press Club in Dhaka, Amar Desh editor Mahmudur Rahman stated that India does not want a credible election in Bangladesh. He argued that a free and fair election would go against India’s interests, as it would make it harder for India to exert influence and carry out what he described as harmful activities in Bangladesh. Rahman also criticized the interim government, questioning its ability to hold a fair election within the remaining six weeks before the polls. He urged civil society to demand written commitments from political parties to ensure fair voting practices and prevent electoral manipulation. Rahman further claimed that India had fully supported the Awami League government and would not extend similar backing to any future administration. Other speakers, including political scientist Dr. Dilara Chowdhury, emphasized the need for patriotism, the removal of illegal arms, and a level playing field for all parties. The event was organized by the Election Working Alliance and the Fair Election Advisory Committee and chaired by Dr. Md. Shariful Alam.
The Bangladesh Photo Journalists Association (BPJA) organized a human chain in front of the National Press Club in Dhaka on Saturday to protest the arson attacks on the offices of the newspapers Prothom Alo and The Daily Star, and the reported harassment of journalist Nurul Kabir. The demonstration condemned the incidents and demanded justice for those responsible. During the event, Bangladesh Federal Union of Journalists Secretary General Kader Gani Chowdhury said the government would bear a stain if it failed to investigate the attacks. He described the fires at the newspaper offices and the journalists’ desperate attempts to escape. My Desh Chief Reporter Bashir Jamal called for the immediate arrest and exemplary punishment of those behind the attacks, noting that similar incidents had previously targeted other media outlets such as Amar Desh, Naya Diganta, and Sangram. BPJA President A.K. Mohsin said the media had played a vital role over the past 15 years and that attacks on journalists were unacceptable. Several other journalist leaders also spoke at the protest, expressing solidarity and demanding accountability.
BNP’s acting chairman Tarique Rahman and his daughter Jaima Rahman have completed their voter registration process at the Election Commission (EC) in Dhaka. EC Secretary Akhtar Ahmed informed reporters on Saturday that the commission will make a final decision on Sunday regarding their inclusion in the official voter list. Both submitted their registration forms, provided biometric and iris data, and applied to be listed as voters in Ward 19 of Dhaka-17 constituency. According to the EC secretary, the registration was carried out under Section 15 of the Voter List Act, 2009, which authorizes the commission to include any eligible citizen as a voter. He explained that although the registration process was completed, verification of fingerprints, signatures, facial, and iris data would take some time before issuing their National ID numbers, expected later the same day. The secretary added that the decision on their inclusion is linked to the upcoming by-election scheduled for February 12. The matter will be presented to the commission, which may decide either through a formal meeting or by file circulation. The final decision is expected before the nomination submission deadline on December 29.
International Crimes Tribunal Chief Prosecutor Advocate Tazul Islam has reaffirmed his determination to capture those responsible for killings. On Saturday, he expressed this commitment through a verified Facebook post, declaring that justice will not be defeated and that the perpetrators will be brought to account regardless of where they hide. The post, shared on December 27, 2025, reflects the prosecutor’s continued resolve to ensure justice under the tribunal’s mandate. His statement emphasized that no distance or concealment would protect the accused from facing justice. The message was framed as a strong assurance of accountability and faith in the judicial process. The declaration comes amid ongoing discussions about justice and accountability in Bangladesh, underscoring the tribunal’s ongoing efforts to pursue those accused of serious crimes.
Mahmudur Rahman Manna, president of Nagorik Oikya, announced that he will approach the High Court’s chamber judge on Sunday regarding a loan default issue with Islami Bank Bangladesh Limited. Speaking at a press conference at his party office on Saturday, Manna said he hopes the court’s decision will remove obstacles to his participation in the upcoming 13th national election. He explained that the dispute stems from a business loan taken in 2010 for Akafu Cold Storage Limited in Shibganj, Bogura, which later became problematic after his business partner allegedly took control and failed to repay the loan. Manna stated that the loan, originally Tk 22 crore, had grown to about Tk 38 crore with interest and penalties. He said he repaid Tk 2 crore over the past year, and Bangladesh Bank directed Islami Bank to reschedule the loan, which the bank’s board approved on December 10. However, a previous High Court stay order in his favor was unexpectedly recalled. Manna said he will seek a new order to clear his name from the defaulter list before the December 29 deadline to remain eligible for election candidacy. He expressed optimism that the upcoming hearing will resolve the issue and allow him to contest from Bogura-2, Sirajganj-1, and Dhaka-18 constituencies.
The Election Commission of Bangladesh has dispatched a total of 293,147 postal ballots to expatriate voters across various countries over the past eight days ahead of the upcoming 13th National Parliamentary Election and referendum. According to Salim Ahmad Khan, team leader of the Out of Country Voting System and Implementation (OCV-SDI) project, the ballots were sent throughout the week, including Friday evening, to ensure participation of overseas Bangladeshis. Election Commission sources confirmed that on Friday alone, 57,360 postal ballots were sent to expatriates in different countries, with Saudi Arabia receiving the highest number at 22,000. The previous day, 10,999 ballots were sent to the United Arab Emirates, 3,500 to the United Kingdom, 900 to Kuwait, and 17,500 to Saudi Arabia. In total, Saudi Arabia received 57,343 ballots, the highest among all destinations. Khan added that domestic postal voter registration is expected to increase, possibly reaching one million, while expatriate voter registration could exceed 600,000, reflecting growing engagement from both domestic and overseas voters.
Russia has accused Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and his European supporters of attempting to derail the ongoing peace process. The allegation came as Zelensky prepared to meet U.S. President Donald Trump in Florida on Sunday to discuss a proposal aimed at ending the war. Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov said that reaching an agreement depends on the political will of the other side, adding that the latest plan differs entirely from previous proposals discussed between Washington and Moscow. Zelensky is expected to present a revised 20-point peace proposal that includes a suspension of direct combat, security guarantees, and economic measures. He has also indicated readiness to submit a final plan for a referendum if difficult territorial decisions are required, noting that at least a 60-day ceasefire would be necessary to hold such a vote safely. Russia continues to demand that Ukraine withdraw its forces from the eastern regions and abandon its efforts to join NATO, conditions that Kyiv has repeatedly rejected.
Foreign Affairs Adviser Md. Touhid Hossain stated that no more flawed elections will be allowed in Bangladesh. He described the past three elections as flawed and emphasized that voters must be able to choose their preferred candidates without obstruction. He made these remarks on Saturday at the inauguration of the 'Voting Caravan' held at Bhola Government High School field, where he served as the chief guest. Hossain clarified that the government will not act out of self-interest but will fully cooperate if citizens take initiative to establish their rights. He noted that nomination papers have already been accepted and that the upcoming election will take place on schedule. He urged campaigners to make voters aware of two key issues: the type of leadership they are choosing for the future and the rights they are entitled to in state governance. The event was attended by local administrative and law enforcement officials. The adviser also dismissed speculations surrounding the upcoming election, reiterating that the government will not engage in any conjecture and that the electoral process will proceed as planned.
A new madrasa and orphanage named Alhaj Mawlana Bakhtiar Ahmad Nurani Madrasa and Orphanage has been inaugurated in Ukhiya, Cox’s Bazar, to provide both religious and general education for dropout, underprivileged, and orphaned children. The inauguration took place on Saturday morning at Kutupalong Amgachtala area along the Ukhiya-Teknaf main road, with local Union Parishad member Engineer Helal Uddin officiating the opening. According to the madrasa authorities, the institution will offer free education for orphaned and Nurani (primary-level) students, along with accommodation, food, and moral instruction. Plans are in place to help students pursue higher education at reputed institutions across the country. During the ceremony, Helal Uddin praised the initiative as a vital step to reintegrate dropout children into mainstream society and pledged continued support. Ukhiya Upazila Nirbahi Officer Rifat Asma described the project as a humanitarian effort, emphasizing that free education and housing for disadvantaged children strengthen the nation’s foundation. Local teachers, community leaders, and residents attended the event, which concluded with prayers for national welfare.
Adilur Rahman Khan, adviser to the Ministries of Industries, Housing and Public Works, and Local Government, Rural Development and Cooperatives, stated that any attempt to disrupt Bangladesh’s upcoming election will be resisted. He made the remarks on Saturday noon in the Mothar Bazar area of Madaripur after visiting the grave of July Movement martyr Naimur Rahman. Khan emphasized that the government is working to ensure security for all citizens and that the people will stand by the government to ensure a fair election. During his visit, Khan also said that no patriotic citizen should doubt the election process and urged everyone to cooperate for a peaceful and fair vote. He mentioned that he regularly visits districts to inspect development projects, pay respects to July Movement martyrs, and meet their families. Earlier, he visited the grave of martyr Mamun, laid flowers at the July Memorial, and inspected progress on housing and waste management projects in Shibchar upazila. Senior district officials, including the Deputy Commissioner and Additional Deputy Commissioner of Madaripur, accompanied him during the visit.
Foreign Affairs Adviser Md. Touhid Hossain said the government has invited election observers from around the world to ensure transparency and prevent any disorder during Bangladesh’s upcoming 13th parliamentary election. He made the remarks on Saturday, December 27, at Bhola Government School field while inaugurating the election campaign vehicle ‘Caravan’ for the parliamentary polls and the July National Charter implementation. Hossain stated that the European Union and the American Republican Institute will each send observers, and the government will provide full support and security to them. He emphasized that citizens are eager to vote after being deprived of their voting rights for a long time and expressed hope that the election will take place in a festive atmosphere with broad participation. The event was attended by Bhola Deputy Commissioner Dr. Shamim Rahman, Police Superintendent Md. Shahidullah Kawchar, political leaders, and local residents who witnessed the inauguration and demonstrations of the ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ voting options.
Dr. Syed Refaat Ahmed, the 25th Chief Justice of Bangladesh, has formally retired from the judiciary after reaching the constitutional retirement age of 67. He stepped down from the top judicial post on Saturday, marking the end of his judicial career. Dr. Ahmed had taken oath as Chief Justice on August 11, 2024, following the post-uprising period in Bangladesh. A former student of the University of Dhaka, Dr. Ahmed earned a first-class law degree from Wadham College, University of Oxford, and later obtained his master’s and PhD degrees from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University in the United States. He also worked with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) as an expert on immigration law. Beginning his legal career in 1984 at the Dhaka District Court and joining the High Court Division in 1986, Dr. Ahmed was appointed an additional judge in 2003 and became a permanent judge two years later. As Chief Justice, he introduced a roadmap for judicial reform, playing a key role in establishing a separate judicial secretariat and initiating laws for judge recruitment.
Barrister Zaima Rahman, daughter of BNP’s acting chairman Tarique Rahman, completed her voter registration at the Election Commission building on Saturday afternoon. She finished the process and left the premises at 12:45 p.m., accompanied by her mother, Dr. Zubaida Rahman. The registration marks her official inclusion in the national voter list. Earlier, on June 23, Dr. Zubaida Rahman was added to the national voter list after completing her own registration. Meanwhile, National Identity Registration Director General ASM Humayun Kabir informed journalists that Tarique Rahman has applied online for his National ID card and will receive it within 24 hours of completing his voter registration. Tarique Rahman recently returned to Bangladesh with his family on December 25, ending 17 years of exile in the United Kingdom.
BNP Acting Chairman Tarique Rahman visited the grave of his younger brother Arafat Rahman Koko at Banani Cemetery on Saturday. Before the visit, he completed voter registration work at the Election Building. Tarique Rahman also paid respects at the grave of Shaheed Sharif Osman Hadi, convener of Inquilab Mancha, prior to visiting his brother’s resting place. Arafat Rahman Koko was born in Dhaka in 1969 and passed away from cardiac arrest in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on January 24, 2015. He left behind his wife and two daughters, Jafia Rahman and Jahia Rahman. From 2003 to 2005, Koko served as a member of the advisory council of the Bangladesh Cricket Board. The visit by Tarique Rahman followed his official voter registration activities and reflected a personal moment of remembrance for his late brother, who had been involved in sports administration in Bangladesh.
Yemen’s internationally recognized government has requested military assistance from the Saudi-led coalition to protect civilians and restore peace in the country. The request was made following an emergency meeting of the National Defense Council. According to Al Arabiya, Rashad al-Alimi, president of the Yemeni Presidential Leadership Council (PLC), made the appeal on Friday, stating that such support is necessary to safeguard ordinary citizens and stabilize the nation. Since 2015, Iran-backed Houthi rebels have controlled the capital Sanaa and roughly half of Yemen, while the PLC governed the remaining areas recognized internationally as Yemen’s legitimate government. However, in early December, the separatist Southern Transitional Council (STC) seized control of most of these territories. Saudi Arabia urged the STC to withdraw, but the group instead strengthened its positions. Tensions escalated after Saudi forces launched airstrikes in Hadramaut, Yemen’s largest southern province, which along with Al-Mahra province, remains under STC control. Saudi Arabia warned that continued STC dominance could deepen divisions and allow Houthi forces to exploit the situation. The Yemeni president has called on the STC to relinquish control of both provinces.
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.