The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
France has announced that it will not provide any offensive weapons to Israel, citing the ongoing tensions surrounding Iran. The statement was reported by PressTV on Sunday. French Defense Minister Catherine Vautrin clarified in a social media post that France is not supplying arms to Israel. She explained that France has only authorized the sale of certain components used in air defense systems, such as projectiles for the Iron Dome, and some equipment also used by the French armed forces.
A few days earlier, French President Emmanuel Macron stated that France would not join any aggression against Iran on behalf of the United States or Israel. The announcement underscores France’s cautious stance in the escalating regional situation.
The decision reflects France’s effort to maintain a balanced position in the Middle East while avoiding direct involvement in potential military confrontations linked to Iran.
France says it will not supply offensive weapons to Israel amid Iran tensions
Iran has announced that it will not reopen the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz until it receives war compensation. According to a report by Al Jazeera citing the Iranian president’s office, the statement was made on Sunday. Seyyed Mehdi Tabatabaei, the president’s communications adviser, said in a social media post that under a new legal framework, the strait would only reopen once compensation is paid through transit fees.
Tabatabaei also sharply criticized recent remarks by Donald Trump, accusing him of making inappropriate and meaningless comments out of frustration after threatening attacks on Iran’s civilian infrastructure over the closure of the strait. The Strait of Hormuz is a critical route for global energy supplies, and the ongoing closure has heightened tensions in international markets and raised concerns about regional security.
The report noted that pressure on Iran is increasing, but the country remains firm in its decision not to reopen the strait until its conditions are met.
Iran refuses to reopen Hormuz Strait until war compensation is paid through transit fees
U.S. President Donald Trump has once again threatened Iran with an ultimatum, warning that the country must reopen the Strait of Hormuz by Monday, April 6, or face severe consequences. According to BBC reports cited by the source, Trump reiterated his warning on April 5, following a series of previous ultimatums issued since the start of the U.S.-Israeli attacks on Iran.
Trump’s first ultimatum on March 21 demanded that Iran reopen the waterway within 48 hours or face the destruction of its power plants. On March 23, he announced that productive talks had led to a five-day suspension of planned strikes. A third ultimatum on March 27 extended the deadline to April 6 at Iran’s request. As the deadline approached, Trump issued a final 48-hour warning on April 4 and repeated the same threat on April 5, adding that Iran’s power plants and bridges would be targeted if no deal was reached.
The Iranian government has repeatedly rejected Trump’s claims, asserting that his statements lack any factual basis.
Trump repeats ultimatum to Iran over Hormuz Strait, warns of severe action by April 6
At least ten people, including the officer-in-charge of Lakshmipur Sadar Model Police Station Wahid Parvez, were injured when police clashed with anti-discrimination student protesters in Lakshmipur town on Sunday evening. The confrontation occurred around 5:30 p.m. in front of Chawk Bazar Mosque after Section 144 had been imposed to prevent gatherings. The situation led to panic in the area, with shops closing and additional police deployed.
According to police and local administration, the tension began the previous night following an altercation between a member of the Anti-Discrimination Student Movement and a district Chhatra Dal leader. In response, the student group called for a protest march, while Chhatra Dal supporters under the banner of July Fighters announced a counter rally. Authorities imposed Section 144 from 4:30 p.m. to prevent unrest.
Leaders from both groups blamed each other for the violence. The Anti-Discrimination Student Movement alleged police used force against their peaceful protest, while police said the clash erupted as both sides attempted to hold simultaneous programs despite restrictions.
Ten injured as police clash with anti-discrimination student protesters in Lakshmipur
U.S. President Donald Trump has alleged that Kurdish groups retained weapons that Washington had attempted to send to anti-government protesters in Iran earlier this year. In an interview with Fox News, Trump revealed that the United States tried to deliver a large number of guns to Iranian demonstrators in January, but the weapons never reached their intended recipients.
Trump stated that the arms were sent through Kurdish intermediaries, though he did not specify which Kurdish group was involved or provide further details about the operation. According to him, the Kurds kept the weapons for themselves instead of passing them on to the protesters.
The remarks shed light on a previously undisclosed U.S. effort to support Iranian protesters and raise questions about the role of Kurdish groups in the failed transfer.
Trump says Kurds kept U.S. weapons meant for Iranian protesters
Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami chief and Leader of the Opposition Dr. Shafiqur Rahman has called for a detailed discussion in the National Parliament on 133 ordinances. He raised the proposal on Sunday, April 5, during the eighth sitting of the first session of the 13th Parliament, drawing the Speaker’s attention before the second agenda began. Rahman noted that a special committee had reviewed the ordinances and submitted a report recommending that some be allowed to lapse, which he argued were significant and linked to the 'July Spirit'.
Responding to the proposal, the Speaker referred the matter to the Law Minister, who initially stated that two bills mentioned by the opposition leader were new and not derived from the ordinances. However, after the recess, the minister corrected himself, confirming that the two bills were indeed among the 133 ordinances. He assured that all ordinances would be presented in Parliament for first and second readings, allowing opportunities for discussion. The Speaker also reminded members that around 93 bills needed to be passed by April 9.
The opposition leader reiterated that the ordinances proposed for lapse were crucial for protecting citizens’ rights and should be debated in Parliament.
Opposition leader urges parliamentary debate on 133 ordinances in Bangladesh
Road Transport and Bridges Minister Sheikh Robiul Alam announced that the Dhaka-Chattogram highway will be expanded to 10 lanes, with a feasibility study currently in progress. He made the statement on Sunday, April 5, in response to a question from Comilla-6 Member of Parliament Monirul Haque Chowdhury during a session of the National Parliament presided over by Speaker Hafiz Uddin Ahmed.
The minister said that steps will be taken to improve the highway and ease traffic congestion in the Paduabazar area. A design has already been prepared to expand the existing overpass, and the government expects to complete the work quickly. The feasibility study also includes plans for three new underpasses, along with two additional underpasses under the current intersection design, bringing the total to five underpasses in the region.
Sheikh Robiul Alam added that the government is coordinating efforts to revise and continue the previous administration’s project where possible. Officials from the Roads and Highways Department have already inspected the site, and visible progress is expected soon.
Dhaka-Chattogram highway to be expanded to 10 lanes, feasibility study in progress
The government of Nepal has decided to introduce a two-day weekend for all public offices and educational institutions. The decision was made during a cabinet meeting held on Sunday. According to administrative experts, the initiative could bring positive outcomes if implemented properly, but poor management might lead to public inconvenience.
Former chairman of the Administrative Court and coordinator of the Administrative Reform Advisory Committee, Kashi Raj Dahal, said the move would be beneficial if proper management is ensured. He noted that it could help save energy, allow employees living near workplaces to engage in farming, and give them more time with their families. However, he cautioned that essential services must remain open and that offices with heavy public demand might not be able to adopt the two-day closure.
Dahal also emphasized the need for strict adherence to working hours once the new rule takes effect. He warned that if employees misuse the schedule by leaving early or arriving late, the reform could create complications instead of benefits.
Nepal introduces two-day weekend for public offices and schools after cabinet approval
U.S. President Donald Trump issued a strong warning to Iran during an interview with Fox News, saying that if Iran does not agree to a deal soon, the United States will destroy the country’s power plants and bridges. He added that he would consider taking control of Iran’s oil resources if Tehran continues to delay. Trump stated that people would soon witness the collapse of infrastructure across Iran, according to a BBC report.
Despite the harsh rhetoric, Trump claimed that some Iranian officials have already joined negotiations and expressed optimism that a deal could be reached by Monday. His remarks come amid ongoing tensions between Washington and Tehran over unresolved issues related to sanctions and regional security.
Iranian officials have repeatedly denied Trump’s claims, asserting that his statements about ongoing talks and potential agreements have no factual basis, according to the same report.
Trump warns Iran of destruction and oil seizure if no deal is reached soon
The eleven-day 'Shaheed Zia 2nd Book Fair' was inaugurated at the Sylhet Central Shaheed Minar premises on Sunday afternoon. The event was organized by Komol Sahitya Parishad Sylhet, and the inauguration was conducted by Sylhet City Corporation Administrator Abdul Kaiyum Chowdhury. In his speech, he emphasized the importance of presenting the life, leadership, and patriotism of Ziaur Rahman to the younger generation. He also noted that cultural events like book fairs play a vital role in fostering reading habits and promoting patriotism among youth.
The opening ceremony was presided over by Sajon Ahmad Saju, president of Komol Sahitya Parishad Sylhet, and conducted by acting general secretary Majharul Islam Menon. Special guests included recitation artist Saleh Ahmad Khosru, former general secretary of Kendrio Muslim Sahitya Sangsad Dewan Mahmud Raja Chowdhury, Sylhet Metropolitan BNP library secretary Advocate Abdul Mukit Opi, and Sylhet District JASAS member secretary Raihan Hossain Khan. Political, social, and cultural leaders, poets, writers, and journalists were also present.
The fair will run daily from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. between April 5 and April 15, featuring participation from various publishing houses across the country, including Dhaka.
Shaheed Zia 2nd Book Fair opens in Sylhet for an eleven-day cultural celebration
The Bangladesh government plans to raise an additional Tk 5,000 crore through a special auction of 91-day treasury bills on April 8, according to the central bank. The move follows increased fiscal needs, prompting the government to seek extra funds beyond its regular bank borrowing. Officials said a similar auction was held on April 1, when the government borrowed the same amount.
Sector insiders attributed the rising borrowing demand to several factors, including election-related expenses of the interim government, higher energy import costs due to the Middle East conflict, and slow revenue collection. The National Board of Revenue collected 28 percent less than its target in the first eight months of the fiscal year. New government programs such as card initiatives and agricultural loan waivers have further increased funding requirements.
Economists warned that heavy reliance on central bank borrowing could pose risks. With private sector credit growth slowing to 6.03 percent in January, banks have shown greater interest in lending to the government, raising concerns about inflation and financial pressure.
Bangladesh to raise Tk 5,000 crore via special treasury bill auction amid rising fiscal needs
The National Citizens Party (NCP) has warned that it will declare the current government illegal and launch a movement if the administration fails to honor the referendum verdict held on the day of the national election regarding state reforms. The warning came from NCP spokesperson Asif Mahmud Sajib Bhuiyan during an emergency press conference at the party’s temporary central office in Banglamotor, Dhaka. The event addressed the BNP government’s alleged disregard for the referendum outcome, cancellation of reform ordinances, and other current issues.
Bhuiyan accused the government of exhibiting authoritarian tendencies and said the NCP initially sought cooperation but was hindered by the government’s lack of goodwill. He stated that the opposition alliance had not planned immediate street protests but was compelled by the unfolding situation around the referendum. Bhuiyan also criticized the government for violating the constitution by retaining ordinances that allow the removal of elected local representatives and for restoring broad phone surveillance powers to multiple agencies.
He further compared the current referendum to that of Ziaur Rahman’s era, emphasizing that the recent vote was aimed at structural reform, with the public supporting change.
NCP threatens to declare government illegal if referendum verdict on reforms is ignored
US President Donald Trump has claimed that Washington attempted to send weapons to Iranian protesters earlier this year amid ongoing unrest in Iran. In an interview with Fox News, Trump said the weapons were sent through Kurdish intermediaries but ultimately did not reach the protesters. The report was carried by Al Jazeera, citing Trump’s remarks.
Trump stated that many weapons were sent via the Kurds, though he did not specify which groups or individuals were involved in the operation. He added that he believed the Kurds kept the weapons for themselves. The comments come at a time of heightened tension between the United States and Iran, and the statement is expected to spark new controversy.
The report also referenced related developments, including Trump’s earlier threats against Iran and remarks from Iranian leaders criticizing his stance, suggesting the issue could further strain relations between the two nations.
Trump says US tried sending weapons to Iranian protesters via Kurds
Prime Minister Tarique Rahman spent time with injured July fighters who visited the National Parliament session on Sunday. During the session break, he personally met the 53 visiting fighters, inquired about their well-being, and listened attentively to their experiences from the July events. He comforted several of them by placing his hand on their shoulders and heads, creating a deeply emotional moment in the gallery.
Before the meeting, Chief Whip Nurul Islam Moni informed the Parliament about the presence of the injured July fighters and extended congratulations for their attendance. Both government and opposition members welcomed them by tapping on their desks, while the Speaker, Hafizuddin Ahmed, acknowledged their presence from the VIP gallery. The fighters responded by waving to the members, and excitement grew when security personnel announced the Prime Minister’s upcoming visit.
The meeting concluded with several fighters sharing their contributions and hardships with the Prime Minister. A few female fighters described their struggles in emotional voices, filling the gallery with a heartfelt atmosphere. The Law Minister and several whips were also present during the encounter.
Prime Minister Tarique Rahman meets injured July fighters during Parliament session break
Middle East analyst Mohammad Ali Shabani stated that the current tension between the United States and Iran has reached a stage where neither side can withdraw without losing face. Speaking to Al Jazeera, the Amwaj.media editor said US President Donald Trump appears ready to carry out threats to strike Iran’s key infrastructure, a move that could trigger a major regional conflict.
Shabani added that Iran is signaling its own resolve by targeting infrastructure in Kuwait to demonstrate it will not back down either. He described the situation as a standoff in which both sides are trapped by the need to preserve their honor.
He warned that under these circumstances, the region faces a high likelihood of escalating tension within the next 24 hours.
Analyst says US-Iran standoff leaves no honorable retreat, warns of rising regional tension
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.