The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) announced that the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed to the country’s enemies. The statement, broadcast on Iran’s state television, emphasized that the strategic waterway is under the IRGC Navy’s firm and authoritative control.
The declaration came shortly after U.S. President Donald Trump stated on Truth Social that Iran had requested a ceasefire. However, Iran has not yet issued any response to Trump’s claim. The situation reflects heightened tensions between Iran and the United States, with the Strait of Hormuz once again at the center of geopolitical friction.
The IRGC’s assertion underscores Tehran’s intent to maintain control over the vital maritime route, while the lack of an official Iranian reaction to Washington’s statement leaves uncertainty about the next diplomatic or military steps.
IRGC says Strait of Hormuz will stay closed to Iran’s enemies amid U.S. tension
Hefazat-e-Islam Bangladesh has criticized Cultural Affairs Minister Nitai Roy Chowdhury’s recent remarks about organizing the 'Mangal Shobhajatra' during the upcoming Pahela Baishakh, calling them communal and religiously provocative. The organization’s Secretary General, Allama Sajedur Rahman, made the statement in a press release signed by Joint Secretary General Maulana Azizul Haque Islamabadi and distributed to the media on Wednesday.
In the statement, Sajedur Rahman argued that the minister’s comments reflect an attempt to replace the inclusive 'Ananda Shobhajatra' with the 'Mangal Shobhajatra', which he described as a sectarian tradition rooted in Hindu religious practices. He warned that any effort to impose this on the Muslim majority would face resistance from Islamic scholars. He also claimed that the original name of the celebration was 'Ananda Shobhajatra', first held in 1989, and accused certain cultural groups of renaming it in 1996 for political motives.
Hefazat further stated that while it does not oppose the appointment of a minority minister, it will resist any perceived cultural dominance or revival of what it called 'Hindutva-inspired' influences in national festivities.
Hefazat-e-Islam opposes minister’s plan to include 'Mangal Shobhajatra' in Pahela Baishakh events
Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC) Administrator Bir Muktijoddha Md. Abdus Salam said that a planned city cannot be built without a master plan. He made the remark on Wednesday during a meeting with the executive committee of the Urban Development Journalists Forum, Bangladesh (UDJFB) at the DSCC Nagar Bhaban. Forum leaders including President Matin Abdullah and General Secretary Hasan Imons were present.
Salam noted that Sher-e-Bangla Nagar had been developed as a planned area under a master plan during the Pakistan period, though some deviations occurred later. He criticized the conversion of two playgrounds in Dhupkhola into a market, emphasizing the shortage of open fields and the DSCC’s efforts to ensure at least one playground for every two wards. He also mentioned initiatives under Prime Minister Tarique Rahman’s direction to ease traffic congestion by relocating inter-district bus terminals from Sayedabad to Kanchpur and constructing new terminals in Kanchpur and Baghair, Keraniganj.
He added that Dhaka faces multiple challenges requiring coordination and called for the formation of an urban government to effectively address these issues.
DSCC administrator calls for master plan and urban government to solve Dhaka’s challenges
The Maldives has expressed interest in recruiting healthcare workers from Bangladesh. The announcement came during a courtesy meeting between Maldives High Commissioner to Dhaka, Shiuneen Rasheed, and Bangladesh’s State Minister for Foreign Affairs, Shama Obaid Islam, held on Wednesday, April 1, 2026. Both sides discussed ways to enhance cooperation in trade, health, education, and communication sectors.
During the meeting, the State Minister emphasized the importance of strengthening ties between business delegations of both countries and thanked the Maldivian government for providing employment opportunities to Bangladeshi workers. She also requested consideration for recruiting more skilled and semi-skilled workers. The High Commissioner reiterated the Maldives’ interest in hiring healthcare professionals from Bangladesh and praised the contribution of Bangladeshi expatriates to the Maldives’ socio-economic development.
The State Minister expressed gratitude for the Maldives’ continued support on the Rohingya issue and reaffirmed Bangladesh’s commitment to revitalizing SAARC. Both parties underscored the importance of enhancing regional cooperation.
Maldives shows interest in hiring Bangladeshi healthcare workers to boost bilateral cooperation
Bangladesh Under-20 women’s football team suffered a surprising 3-2 defeat against Thailand in the AFC U-20 Women’s Asian Cup match held on April 1, 2026. Despite leading 2-0, the team coached by Peter Butler conceded three goals in the second half, including two from penalties, losing a match that seemed within their grasp.
Coach Peter Butler employed a high-line defensive strategy, which initially helped Bangladesh catch Thailand offside several times. Goalkeeper Mili made key interventions early in the game. Sagarika opened the scoring with a long-range strike in the 31st minute and doubled the lead in the 50th minute. However, defensive lapses allowed Thailand to mount a comeback, scoring twice from penalties in the 69th and 75th minutes and sealing victory with a third goal in the 79th minute.
Bangladesh’s late efforts to equalize were unsuccessful, leaving the team to reflect on missed defensive discipline and lost momentum in the second half.
Bangladesh U-20 women lose 3-2 to Thailand after leading 2-0 in Asian Cup
Opposition leader and Jamaat-e-Islami chief Dr. Shafiqur Rahman announced that the opposition will move forward with the implementation of the referendum verdict by engaging the public. He made the statement at a press conference on Wednesday, April 1, 2026, following a parliamentary walkout by opposition members over disputes surrounding the July Charter Order and the alleged miscode of the opposition leader.
Dr. Rahman expressed disappointment with the government’s stance on the referendum, accusing it of disrespecting the people’s mandate. He said both the ruling and opposition parties had initially agreed on the referendum issue, but the government later violated the people’s final intent. As a result, the opposition walked out of the session in protest.
He further stated that the opposition will now return to the people to realize the referendum verdict through public mobilization. Dr. Rahman added that eleven parties will remain active both in parliament and on the streets, with decisions on future programs to be announced soon.
Opposition to pursue referendum implementation with public support after parliamentary walkout
A sudden Kalbaishakhi storm accompanied by heavy rain and hail struck Dhaka and surrounding areas on Wednesday night, April 1, 2026. The sky turned dark after evening, and around 7 p.m. strong gusts of wind and dust swept through several parts of the city. By 8 p.m., heavy rainfall began, soaking areas including Banglamotor, Shahbagh, Moghbazar, Karwan Bazar, Farmgate, and Tejgaon. Hail and lightning with loud thunder were also reported, causing difficulties for pedestrians and roadside vendors.
A weather alert issued for inland river ports until 1 a.m. warned that regions including Dhaka, Rajshahi, Pabna, Faridpur, Mymensingh, Tangail, Barishal, Patuakhali, Noakhali, Cumilla, and Sylhet could experience temporary gusty or squally winds from the west and northwest at speeds of 45–60 kilometers per hour. The alert also forecast rain or thundershowers and advised ports in these areas to hoist cautionary signal number one.
The storm disrupted normal evening activities in the capital, with reports of temporary inconvenience due to heavy rainfall and lightning.
Sudden Kalbaishakhi storm brings heavy rain and hail to Dhaka on Wednesday night
Constable Shoaibur Rahman Joy appealed for forgiveness while being taken to court from the CMM Court lockup on Wednesday, April 1, 2026. He was shown arrested in a case related to the injury of a man named Abu Noman during the July uprising near the BTV building in Dhaka’s Rampura area. The order to show him arrested was issued by Metropolitan Magistrate Albirni Mir, confirmed by court prosecution officer SI Mominul Islam.
Earlier in court, Shoaibur stated that he had done nothing wrong during his police service and pleaded for a general pardon, saying he wanted to return to his child. He also questioned why he was repeatedly charged in what he described as false cases and appealed to Prime Minister Tarique Rahman and the Home Minister for mercy. Shoaibur was first arrested in September 2024 after organizing police members following the fall of the Awami League government.
The case stems from a July 19, 2024 incident when protesters clashed near the Rampura BTV building, leaving Abu Noman injured. After recovery, Noman filed an attempted murder case with Rampura Police Station.
Constable Shoaibur Rahman pleads for pardon after being shown arrested in Rampura assault case
The Chittagong University unit of the Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal (JCD) has submitted a memorandum to Vice-Chancellor Professor Dr. Mohammad Al-Forkan demanding the establishment of a safe, student-friendly, discrimination-free, and modern campus. The memorandum was handed over on Wednesday afternoon at the vice-chancellor’s conference room by leaders and activists of the organization.
The memorandum called for increasing the number of shuttle trains and adding extra compartments to improve student transportation. It also urged the construction of new residential halls, renovation of existing ones, transparency in seat allocation, and the introduction of housing allowances for non-residential students. Additional demands included modernization of administrative activities, ensuring justice for campus violence incidents, and strengthening overall student security. The JCD also emphasized launching campus-wide Wi-Fi and providing photocopy, print, and scanning facilities in departmental seminar libraries.
The memorandum further stated that the Chittagong University Central Students’ Union (CHAKSU) should work for the welfare of all students rather than representing any particular group. It also sought rehabilitation for the families of students Hridoy Chandra Tarua and Farhad Hossain, who were killed in the July uprising, and for the injured.
JCD submits memorandum to Chittagong University VC demanding safer, modern, and inclusive campus
On Wednesday afternoon, financial assistance was provided to four temples in the Dhaka-17 constituency on behalf of Prime Minister Tarique Rahman. The aid was distributed by his Assistant Private Secretary-2 and constituency representative, Engineer Abdur Rahman Sani, who handed over donation checks to the temple authorities.
The temples receiving the checks were Bhashantek BRP Sarbojonin Temple, Shri Shri Raksha Kali Temple near Mohakhali Chest Disease Hospital, ID Hospital Sarbojonin Puja Temple, and Shri Shri Shivakali Puja Temple at Tempo Mor, Mohakhali. The event was attended by Hindu-Buddhist-Christian Welfare Front Chairman Bijon Kanti Sarkar, BNP Executive Committee member Romesh Dutta, the Prime Minister’s research officer Abdus Sattar Patwari, and leaders, priests, and devotees of the respective temples.
The distribution aimed to extend financial support to local religious institutions within the constituency, reflecting the Prime Minister’s outreach to diverse faith communities.
Prime Minister’s representative gives financial aid to four temples in Dhaka-17
Education Minister Dr. A N M Ehsanul Haque Milon held a meeting with primary school teachers and headmasters to discuss introducing both online and in-person classes in government primary schools across metropolitan areas. The proposal aims to address the national energy crisis affecting the country. The meeting took place at the Ministry of Primary and Mass Education, where the minister outlined a plan for six weekly classes, with three conducted online and three in person.
Teachers expressed opposition to the online class proposal, citing difficulties in implementing such a system at the primary level. They noted that young students lack the skills to use digital devices and that many families cannot afford or manage online participation. Several teachers requested government support to provide necessary devices if the plan moves forward.
According to an official from the Directorate of Primary Education, no final decision has been made yet. The minister had earlier mentioned that similar hybrid arrangements were being considered for all metropolitan educational institutions except universities to manage the ongoing energy crisis.
Bangladesh teachers oppose online classes proposed to ease energy crisis
Bangladesh’s Law Minister Md. Anisul Haque announced that a total of 23,865 politically motivated cases, allegedly filed to harass citizens, have been withdrawn. He made the statement in parliament on Wednesday in response to a question from ruling party MP S M Jahangir Hossain. The minister added that the process of withdrawing the remaining politically influenced cases is ongoing after proper verification.
Responding to supplementary questions, the minister said that individuals acquitted by the court and proven innocent must be treated according to the law, as it is their fundamental right. He also noted that in the past, many teachers and even deceased persons had been named in politically motivated cases. Some cases were also filed against persons with disabilities and political leaders.
The minister urged affected individuals to apply through their respective ministries or departments for case withdrawal. He clarified that while the law ministry is aware of the issue, the matter does not fall directly under its jurisdiction.
Bangladesh withdraws 23,865 politically motivated cases filed to harass citizens
Prime Minister Tarique Rahman informed the National Parliament that Bangladesh is in the process of signing agreements with seven countries to recover an estimated 234 billion US dollars allegedly laundered abroad during the previous Awami League government. He said the government is strengthening information exchange, asset identification, and mutual legal assistance with the concerned nations to retrieve the funds.
According to the Prime Minister, ten countries have been identified as destinations for the laundered money, including the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Switzerland, Australia, Thailand, the United Arab Emirates, Singapore, Malaysia, and Hong Kong-China. Agreements with Malaysia, Hong Kong, and the UAE have already received consent, while deals with the remaining seven are under process. A task force led by the Bangladesh Bank governor is overseeing recovery efforts, with 11 joint investigation teams working on priority cases.
Rahman added that assets worth about 704.46 billion taka have been seized domestically and abroad, and 141 cases have been filed, with six verdicts delivered so far. The government has prioritized asset recovery as part of its broader anti-corruption and anti-money laundering strategy.
Bangladesh moves to sign deals with seven nations to recover $234 billion laundered abroad
A female head teacher in Cumilla was assaulted after a dismissed Awami League leader, accused of obtaining his job through forgery, returned to his workplace and attacked her. The victim, acting head teacher Hasina Islam of Berakhla Abdul Matin Khasru Girls’ High School, filed a case on Monday night against 11 people, including the dismissed teacher Aminul Islam Sujon and his cousin, Jubo Dal leader Sohel Rana. The assault reportedly took place on Sunday morning when the two, accompanied by several supporters, attacked the teacher at her office.
Following the incident, Cumilla South District Jubo Dal issued a show-cause notice to Sohel Rana, accusing him of violating party discipline and engaging in activities contrary to organizational rules. He was instructed to submit a written explanation within three days to the district conveners. Police confirmed that a case had been filed and said efforts to arrest the accused were ongoing.
According to the case details, Sujon had previously been dismissed in 2019 for using fake certificates and falsifying official documents but recently claimed a court ruling allowed him to return to his post, leading to renewed conflict at the school.
Head teacher assaulted in Cumilla; case filed and Jubo Dal leader issued show-cause notice
A mobile court in Narayanganj recovered a total of 13,980 liters of illegally stored diesel in two separate operations. The raids were conducted on Tuesday night in the Godnail area of Siddhirganj based on secret information, according to a press release from the Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources issued on Wednesday. Two individuals were fined and sentenced to short prison terms without labor for their involvement.
In the first operation around 6 p.m. near the Eidgah adjacent to the Meghna Depot in Godnail, 9,100 liters of diesel were seized. The accused, Sifat, was fined 6,000 taka and sentenced to two months of imprisonment without labor. In the second operation at a house near S.A. Road in the same area, 4,880 liters of diesel were recovered, and Nasir was fined 3,000 taka and sentenced to one month of imprisonment without labor.
The ministry stated that such operations will continue to prevent illegal hoarding and manipulation of fuel supplies.
Mobile court recovers 13,980 liters of illegal diesel in Narayanganj raids
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.