The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
Bangladesh’s 2026 SSC and equivalent examination results showed a major decline, with the pass rate across 11 education boards falling to 62.25%, the lowest in 19 years. Results released Monday showed that 1,138,877 of 1,829,485 candidates passed, leaving nearly 700,000 unsuccessful. A total of 116,676 students earned GPA-5, the lowest number in five years.
The previous year’s pass rate was 68.45%, with 139,032 GPA-5 recipients. Girls outperformed boys, recording a 66.68% pass rate against 57.86% for boys and receiving more GPA-5 grades. Dhaka Board had the highest pass rate at 77.63%, while the Madrasah Board recorded the lowest at 55.49%. Humanities results were particularly weak, with 59% of candidates failing; many were held back in English and mathematics.
Education Minister Ehsanul Haque Milon described the result as good, saying students received the marks they earned. Prime Minister’s education adviser Mahdi Amin said answer scripts were assessed impartially. Officials and education stakeholders linked the outcome to stricter anti-cheating oversight and longstanding weaknesses in education quality. Of 30,402 institutions, 669 achieved a 100% pass rate, while all candidates failed at 312 institutions.
SSC pass rate falls to a 19-year low as nearly 700,000 students fail
Multiple schools and madrasas across Bangladesh recorded no passing candidates in this year’s SSC and equivalent examinations, according to a report published on August 11, 2026. Cases were reported from districts including Kishoreganj, Naogaon, Dinajpur, Thakurgaon, Pabna, Tangail, Satkhira, Rajbari and Chattogram. Students and parents expressed disappointment and called for official legal action against institutions where all candidates failed.
At Jangalia Union Girls High School in Kishoreganj, all five humanities candidates failed despite the school having eight teachers. The report said 18 schools under the Dinajpur Education Board had no successful candidates. In Thakurgaon, all 24 candidates from five schools failed. No candidates passed at Magura Dakhil Madrasa in Pabna, Jaldia High School in Rajbari, or Urir Char Junior High School in Sandwip.
The report cited allegations of irregular teaching, low student attendance, staffing problems and unpaid salaries at some institutions. At the Sandwip school, eight teachers had not received salaries for two years, and three had stopped attending. Officials said they would inspect, investigate or take action under government rules. Tangail’s education officer said reports had previously been submitted recommending closure of academic activities at its two zero-pass institutions.
Multiple schools and madrasas recorded zero passes in this year’s SSC and equivalent exams
The pass rate and number of GPA-5 recipients in the 2026 Secondary School Certificate, or SSC, and equivalent examinations have fallen to their lowest levels in three years. The results were announced on Monday morning at the Education Ministry conference room in the Secretariat. This year’s SSC pass rate stood at 62.25 percent.
According to the results analysis, the SSC pass rate was 68.45 percent in 2025 and 83.4 percent in 2024. The 2026 rate was therefore lower than in each of the previous two years. The report did not state any reason for the decline.
A total of 116,676 students received GPA-5 this year. The number was 139,032 in 2025 and 182,129 in 2024. The number of top-grade recipients has consequently also declined compared with both of the preceding years.
SSC and equivalent pass rate and GPA-5 recipients hit a three-year low
SSC results in Sitakunda, Chattogram, showed a sharp contrast between Faujdarhat Cadet College and Sitakunda Government Model High School, according to a report published on August 11. All 47 candidates from Faujdarhat Cadet College passed, with 41 earning GPA-5. At the government school, 75 of 151 candidates failed and 76 passed, producing a pass rate of 50.33 percent. The outcome has raised concerns among parents over teacher shortages, lottery-based admissions, student attendance and academic supervision.
Other institutions in the upazila also recorded substantially stronger results. Bangladesh Military Academy High School had 61 passes among 64 candidates, including 17 GPA-5 results. Faujdarhat Collegiate High School had 137 passes among 166 candidates, with 13 GPA-5 results. Acting headteacher Salimullah attributed the government school’s result to lottery-based enrollment, irregular student attendance and a shortage of teachers.
Parents questioned whether weaker students had been identified early and given special classes, extra practice and subject-based support. They called for scrutiny of teaching, attendance, internal and selection examination results, teacher shortages and school management. Upazila Nirbahi Officer Fakhrul Islam said the result was unacceptable and that administrative action would be taken quickly following an investigation.
Sitakunda officials plan inquiry after a government school’s SSC pass rate fell to 50.33%
Firnas, the son of Sharif Osman Hadi, can now say “Abba” and kisses photographs of his father, according to Abdullah Al Jaber, member secretary of Inqilab Mancha. A report published on August 10, 2026 said Firnas was only eight months old when a killer’s bullet struck Hadi in the head.
The report states that Osman Hadi died on December 18, 2025. He did not hear his son say “Abba” before his death. Speaking on a podcast, Abdullah Al Jaber said Firnas now speaks a little and calls out “Abba.”
Jaber said Firnas has grown and enjoys going outside. When they visit, he wants to go out with them, Jaber said. He added that Firnas kisses his father’s photograph and is accustomed to saying “Abba” rather than “Baba.” Jaber also recalled visiting Hadi’s home after Firnas’s birth and spending playful moments with the child.
Hadi’s son Firnas now says “Abba” and kisses his father’s photograph
All 10 students who sat this year’s Secondary School Certificate examinations from Urir Char Junior High School in Sandwip, Chattogram, failed, producing a zero pass rate. The report, published on August 10, 2026, said the school had recorded satisfactory pass rates in previous years. School-related sources cited acute financial hardship, teachers’ unpaid salaries, student disengagement and parents’ lack of awareness as reasons for the result.
All 10 candidates had failed the school’s selection examination before the SSC tests. Although they were not supposed to sit the final examination under the rules, the school authorities allowed all of them to take the board examination on “special consideration.” The institution, also known as Urir Char High School, has 60 students from grades six to 10, but not even 10 attend classes regularly.
Teachers said salaries were mainly paid from student fees, but many parents were reluctant to pay regularly. None of the school’s eight teachers has received a salary for two years, and three have stopped coming altogether. Acting Upazila Secondary Education Officer Ismat Ara Begum described the complete failure rate as unfortunate and said the matter was being examined.
All 10 SSC candidates from a Sandwip school failed amid severe financial strain
Shyamal Chandra Haldar, acting head teacher of Middle Sonakur Government Primary School No. 14 in Kaukhali upazila of Pirojpur, has been temporarily suspended. The action followed allegations that he violated government instructions by having students plant tree branches instead of saplings during a tree-planting programme. A signed order from the district primary education officer confirmed the suspension.
Under a special programme of the prime minister, schools had been clearly instructed to plant fruit, forest and medicinal saplings on their grounds on July 15. According to the allegation, Haldar arranged for students to plant branches in place of saplings and uploaded photographs of the activity to a teachers’ social media group.
Following a written complaint, Kaukhali assistant upazila primary education officer Rafiqul Islam conducted an on-site investigation on July 19 and found the allegation to be true. Authorities temporarily suspended Haldar under the Government Servants (Discipline and Appeal) Rules. Upazila primary education officer Wahidul Islam said action was taken after the allegation was proven. He also said a female teacher’s complaint against an assistant teacher would be investigated under the rules.
Acting head teacher suspended in Kaukhali over planting branches instead of saplings
Dhaka University’s Central Mosque has activated an air-conditioning system after a long wait and student demands, according to a report published on August 10, 2026. The Dhaka University Central Students’ Union, or DUCSU, and the university administration installed 21 air conditioners, each with a capacity of five tonnes. The system is intended to allow worshippers to pray more comfortably during intense heat.
A visit to the mosque found the newly installed units operating and worshippers praying in greater comfort. Although air conditioning had long been sought for the mosque, electricity-connection and other complications had prevented its activation. DUCSU repeatedly contacted relevant offices, and the system began operating after the required electricity connection was provided. Former vice-chancellor Professor Dr Niaz Ahmed Khan said the activation completed an important mosque renovation and redecoration initiative.
Khan said a DUCSU delegation sought support for renovation funding from then energy adviser Dr Fawzul Kabir Khan in the second half of 2025. A corporate institution that requested anonymity later agreed to assist. DUCSU career development secretary Mazharul Islam said obtaining the electricity line required prolonged efforts involving university and power offices.
Twenty 5-ton air conditioners have been activated at Dhaka University Central Mosque
Residents, teachers and school committee members in Mongla, Bagerhat, have alleged that soil was dug at night to build a drainage channel across playgrounds beside Bururburia Government Primary School and Bururburia Secondary School in Sundarban Union. The report, published on August 10, said large holes were made in several parts of the grounds without the knowledge or permission of school authorities. Locals fear the work will disrupt children’s sports and create accident risks.
Loveli Majumdar, accused of carrying out the work, said rainwater had flooded her home and trees, prompting her to arrange drainage through a pipe after speaking with secondary school headteacher Dhirendra Nath Mridha. She said she spent Tk20,000 on pipes and worked for two days before the work was stopped. Mridha denied authorizing any soil cutting and said the claim was false.
Primary school headteacher Julekha Khanam and managing committee president Nazmul Badsha said they were unaware of the work. Upazila Primary Education Officer Pintu Ranjan Das said the work should not have been conducted in that manner. Upazila Nirbahi Officer Sharmin Akter Sumi said the allegation would be investigated and legal action taken if it is found true.
Mongla officials promise investigation into alleged drainage digging on school playgrounds
An opinion article by Mehedi Hasan, published in Amar Desh on August 10, 2026, criticizes what it describes as long-running politicization, corruption and administrative disorder in Bangladesh’s education sector. It highlights multiple errors in physics, chemistry, biology and higher mathematics question papers during the ongoing HSC examinations, as well as an allegation that answer scripts were marked by friends at a tea stall in Sylhet.
According to the article, a sack of Bangla second-paper answer scripts was seized at 11:30 p.m. on August 1 from a tea stall near the main gate of শাহজালাল বিজ্ঞান ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়. It identifies the examiner as Metrocity Women’s College lecturer Iqbal Hossain Sohan and alleges that he used two friends, including former university unit vice-president of the banned Chhatra League Airin Linza, to mark scripts.
The article says about 1.3 million candidates are taking this year’s HSC and equivalent examinations. It notes that all education boards used the same question papers for the first time in eight years and that exams were held on a full syllabus after six years. The writer calls for identifying those responsible for erroneous questions, investigating alleged recruitment irregularities, and taking action to address education-sector problems.
Opinion article criticizes HSC question errors and alleged answer-script marking at a Sylhet tea stall
Barishal University students blocked the Dhaka-Kuakata highway on Sunday evening after Bengali department student Yasin Arafat was injured in a collision between a BRTC bus and a Mahindra near Dapdapia Bridge beside the university. The crash occurred at about 3:30 pm and left one person dead and at least four injured. Arafat was taken to Sher-e-Bangla Medical College Hospital and later referred to Dhaka for advanced treatment.
The students began the blockade around 7:30 pm, demanding improved road safety and that the university administration bear Arafat's full medical costs. Their four demands also include repairing the highway within 15 days, arranging round-the-clock buses from the university to Rupatali, and opening footpaths on both sides of the university for its interests.
Student Rajib said the protest would continue until the demands were met. Another student, Bhumika Sarkar, said previous calls for traffic police deployment and road repairs had been ignored. Assistant Proctor Dr Gazi Md Sakawat Hossain said the administration would discuss the demands with students and take steps to resolve the issues quickly. The blockade halted vehicle movement, causing hardship for passengers.
Barishal University students block highway after student injured in bus-Mahindra crash
Education Minister Dr A N M Ehsanul Haque Milon said action will be taken against educational institutions that recorded zero passes in this year’s SSC and equivalent examinations. He made the remarks at a results-announcement press conference at the Education Ministry conference room on Monday morning. Milon said the number of schools with zero passes was three to four times higher during 2001 to 2006 and had gradually declined, adding that authorities would draw on prior experience in taking action against such institutions.
He said the overall pass rate in the SSC and equivalent examinations fell by about 6 percentage points from the previous year, while the number of GPA-5 recipients declined by 22,356. However, he said candidates received the marks they deserved and described the results as good. He added that a new legal provision allows every student to seek a review of their answer scripts, with a review committee able to correct errors or adjust marks where a student did not receive what they were entitled to.
Zero-pass institutions rose to 57 across nine general education boards, from 48 a year earlier. Under the madrasa board, the number increased from 86 to 226, while the technical board had 29 such institutions after all its institutions recorded passes last year. Professor Syed Akhtaruzzaman said higher failures in English, mathematics and Bangla reduced the overall pass rate.
Education minister says action will be taken against institutions with zero SSC passes
Admissions to Class XI at the higher secondary level for the new academic year must be completed by September 15, Bangladesh Inter-Education Board chairman and Dhaka Education Board chairman Syed Akhtaruzzaman said. He announced the deadline during the formal release of results at the Education Ministry conference room on Monday morning.
The pass rate in general education boards this year was 64.05 percent, down 3.99 percentage points from 68.04 percent in 2025. The number of female students who passed exceeded that of male students by 107,982. Female students also received 11,401 more GPA-5 grades than male students.
The number of GPA-5 recipients fell to 106,009 in 2026 from 125,018 in 2025, a decrease of 19,009. The total number of institutions increased by 303 this year, while the number of examination centres rose by 201.
Higher secondary Class XI admissions must be completed by September 15
More than 1.35 million of Bangladesh’s 2.5 million seats for higher secondary and equivalent study in colleges and madrasas are expected to remain vacant this year, according to Professor Dr Syed Akhtaruzzaman, president of the Bangladesh Inter-Education Board Coordination Committee and chairman of the Dhaka Board. He made the statement at the formal release of SSC and equivalent examination results at the Education Ministry conference room on August 10.
The overall pass rate in the SSC and equivalent examinations was 62.25 percent, with 1,138,877 candidates passing. Across nine general education boards, the pass rate was 64.05 percent, down 3.99 percentage points from 68.04 percent in 2025. The general boards recorded 107,982 more successful female candidates than male candidates, while 11,401 more female candidates earned GPA-5 than male candidates.
The number of GPA-5 recipients fell to 106,009 from 125,018 in 2025. Zero-pass institutions numbered 57 across the nine general boards, 226 under the madrasa board and 29 under the technical board. College and madrasa admissions must be completed by September 15, Akhtaruzzaman said.
More than 1.35 million college and madrasa seats may remain vacant after lower SSC pass rates
Bangladesh will continue using the existing system for admissions to Class XI at the higher secondary level in the upcoming academic year. Education and Primary and Mass Education Minister Dr A N M Ehsanul Haq Milon said students will be admitted based on SSC and equivalent examination results. He made the announcement while answering journalists’ questions at the Education Ministry conference room on Monday, August 10.
The minister said Class XI admissions would follow the old method, meaning selection would be based on marks or GPA. His statement confirms that the result-based admission process will remain in place for the upcoming intake.
The 2026 SSC and equivalent examination results were formally published at 10am on Monday at an event in the Education Ministry conference room. Chairmen of the relevant education boards handed over the results before Professor Dr Syed Akhtaruzzaman, current president of the Bangladesh Inter-Education Board Coordination Committee, presented an overall picture. The average pass rate in this year’s SSC and equivalent examinations was 62.25 percent.
Class XI admissions will continue to be based on SSC and equivalent exam marks or GPA
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.