The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
India’s planned cricket tour of Bangladesh in the final week of August faces deep uncertainty as approval from India’s central government has not yet been granted. Although the two cricket boards have reached a preliminary understanding, no final announcement has been made, leaving the series dependent on a government decision.
A Board of Control for Cricket in India official said the Indian government has not authorised the visit. The BCCI is waiting for official clearance and is holding discussions with the High Commission. According to the board, the Indian team will travel to Bangladesh only if the government gives permission.
The report says recent political and diplomatic changes between the two countries have created fresh challenges for staging the series. It cites tensions following Bangladesh’s student-public uprising and subsequent political changes, while noting that some previously scheduled Indian series in Bangladesh had been postponed over security concerns. Both the BCB and BCCI are described as positive about holding the series, but the final decision remains pending in India’s political arena.
India's Bangladesh cricket tour awaits clearance from the Indian central government
Six Arab national football federations have declared full support for FIFA president Gianni Infantino as his leadership faces public opposition from three confederations in Europe, Asia and North-Central America. Qatar, Morocco, Lebanon, Sudan, Egypt and Mauritania issued a joint statement backing Infantino, according to a report published on August 13, 2026. Morocco is listed as a co-host of the 2030 World Cup.
The dispute followed a proposal to sell part of the World Cup’s commercial rights to private investors. Infantino had proposed selling about 20 percent of FIFA Forward Enterprise to private investors, but the plan was scrapped after opposition from UEFA, the AFC and CONCACAF.
The Arab federations said they had confidence in Infantino’s leadership and his commitment to developing football worldwide. They also said they wanted to work closely with him to expand opportunities, bring people from different regions together and increase Arab countries’ contribution to global football. Infantino has apologised over the controversial commercial plan and is preparing to run again in FIFA’s election on March 17.
Qatar, Morocco and four Arab federations back FIFA chief Gianni Infantino amid leadership dispute
Australia won the toss and elected to bat in the first Test of the series against Bangladesh in Darwin on August 13, 2026. Despite grass and some moisture on the pitch that could assist new-ball bowlers early, captain Pat Cummins chose to bat first. At the time of reporting, Australia were 36 without loss after 10 overs, beginning their innings cautiously while assessing the wicket's behaviour.
Bangladesh recalled wicketkeeper-batter Litton Das, while injuries ruled Nahid Rana and Shoriful Islam out of the match. Hasan Mahmud shared new-ball duties with Taskin Ahmed, and Ebadot Hossain was selected as the third fast bowler. Najmul Hossain Shanto captains the visitors, whose XI also includes Tanzeed Hasan, Shadman Islam, Mominul Haque, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mehidy Hasan Miraz and Taijul Islam.
Josh Hazlewood returned to Australia's XI, joining Cummins, Mitchell Starc and Nathan Lyon in the hosts' bowling attack. Travis Head and Jake Weatherald opened, while Cameron Green and Beau Webster were included as all-rounders. Bangladesh are playing a Test in Australia after 23 years and aim to maintain their recent positive Test form in Darwin.
Australia chose to bat in Darwin as Ebadot Hossain and Hasan Mahmud feature for Bangladesh
Bangladesh Football Federation has nominated its media executive Khalid Mahmud Naomi as manager of the women’s football team for next month’s Asian Games in Japan. The federation sent the women’s team list, naming Naomi as manager, to the Bangladesh Olympic Association. His appointment comes while an investigation into allegations of a team-discipline breach against him remains unfinished.
During the most recent SAFF Women’s Championship, the South Asian Football Federation wrote to BFF alleging that Naomi entered the team hotel with alcohol during the tournament. BFF subsequently formed a three-member special committee, led by executive member Kamrul Islam Hilton, to investigate the incident.
Nearly two months later, the committee has not submitted its investigation report. Additional Secretary Atikur Rahman, another committee member, said its last meeting was held about a month ago. The appointment of a person still under investigation to a major tournament responsibility has raised questions.
Khalid Mahmud Naomi is named women’s team manager despite an ongoing disciplinary inquiry
Palestinian club football is set to resume officially on September 4 after a break of nearly three years, with the Palestinian Football Association launching the Thousand Martyrs Cup as the first step in restoring domestic activity. PFA president Jibril Rajoub announced the competition at a news conference on Monday at the Joseph Blatter Academy in al-Bireh in the West Bank.
The inaugural tournament will include 226 clubs: 146 from the occupied West Bank, 44 from Gaza and 36 from Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon. Early rounds will be played in groups based on regions and association branches. Opening matches are planned simultaneously in the three areas, including fixtures in the West Bank, Gaza and Lebanon's Ain al-Hilweh refugee camp.
According to the PFA, the competition commemorates 1,014 Palestinian athletes killed during the past three years of conflict. Separate trophies are being made for the West Bank, Gaza and Lebanon, each carrying the athletes' names. Eligible clubs will receive equal financial support for equipment and travel costs. The PFA said it plans to introduce a regular tiered league structure in the following season.
Palestinian club football returns September 4 with the Thousand Martyrs Cup
Mushfiqur Rahim is set to play his first Test match in Australia when Bangladesh take the field in Darwin tomorrow for his 104th Test. The 39-year-old batter is 194 runs short of 7,000 Test runs, making the two-match series against Australia a potentially historic and emotional stage in his long career. He will need a substantial early contribution in the series to reach the milestone.
The report says several prominent players from a generation of Bangladesh cricketers, including Shakib Al Hasan and Tamim Iqbal, did not get the opportunity to play Tests in Australia. Rahim now has the chance to complete that missing part of his career, though Australia’s strong pace attack presents a difficult challenge. Bangladesh will also play a Test on a drop-in pitch for the first time in Darwin.
Captain Najmul Hossain Shanto said Bangladesh are prepared to adapt to the unfamiliar conditions after good preparation. He said the grass-covered surface should offer assistance to both batters and bowlers, with bowlers possibly receiving slightly more help. Bangladesh were bowled out for 54 and lost by an innings in a practice match against a Cricket Australia XI, but Shanto said he was not placing importance on that result. Bangladesh have won one of six Tests against Australia.
Mushfiqur Rahim is 194 runs away from 7,000 Test runs before the Darwin Test
In a commentary published by Amar Desh on August 12, 2026, Mahmudur Rahman raised concerns about India’s cricket team being scheduled to tour Bangladesh next month. He argued that India could seek to postpone the visit by citing security concerns. The columnist called on the Bangladesh Cricket Board and the sports ministry to ask the Indian board to clarify its position promptly and, if necessary, pursue the matter with the International Cricket Council.
Rahman praised the Yunus government’s earlier decision not to send Bangladesh to a T20 World Cup in India. He linked that decision to Mustafizur Rahman’s cancelled IPL contract and criticised the Indian cricket board, the ICC and several Bangladeshi cricketers. Citing past remarks by Litton Kumar Das and Tamim Iqbal, he alleged that they had prioritised financial considerations over national dignity.
The writer proposed that Bangladesh seek an independent ICC security assessment if India raises objections to touring. He said a favourable report would limit the scope for a unilateral Indian decision. Rahman also said Bangladesh could seek compensation if the Indian team ultimately does not travel.
Column urges BCB to seek clarity and ICC action over India’s planned Bangladesh tour
US President Donald Trump has publicly backed FIFA President Gianni Infantino amid demands for his removal, according to a report published on August 11, 2026. In a Truth Social post, Trump said FIFA would make a “serious mistake” if it considered removing Infantino. He described Infantino as an outstanding administrator and said the official had overseen the most successful World Cup ever.
Infantino recently proposed selling commercial rights for the FIFA World Cup and all other FIFA tournaments to private investors for $15 billion. The report said the proposed deal was accused of involving a company owned by the brother of Trump’s son-in-law. Infantino withdrew the proposal after strong opposition from UEFA, CONCACAF and the Asian Football Confederation. The report also said Infantino has faced fresh controversy over allegations of an extramarital relationship in the workplace.
Despite the withdrawal of the commercial-rights proposal, UEFA, the AFC and CONCACAF remain committed to calls for Infantino’s resignation and are planning an alliance to remove him. Trump said FIFA would never again be as successful or profitable if Infantino left. The report noted that Trump and Infantino have long had close ties, including a special FIFA peace award presented to Trump during a World Cup draw event.
Trump calls any move to remove FIFA president Gianni Infantino a serious mistake
Afghanistan secured a place in the 2027 ODI World Cup main round after a thrilling three-wicket victory over Ireland in the third ODI. The result also confirmed Bangladesh’s direct participation before the 30 September cutoff date, according to the report published and updated on 11 August 2026.
Under ICC rules, the top eight teams in the rankings by the cutoff date qualify directly for the main round. Because host South Africa are already among the top eight, the team ranked ninth also receives direct entry. Following the conclusion of the Ireland-Afghanistan series, ninth-ranked Bangladesh’s place in the main round became fully assured.
The other directly qualified teams are hosts South Africa, Zimbabwe, defending champions Australia, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and England. Tenth-ranked West Indies have two ODIs remaining against India before the cutoff, but cannot rise to ninth even by winning both matches. They have therefore failed to gain direct main-round entry for a second consecutive World Cup and must return to qualifying next February.
Afghanistan's win confirms direct 2027 World Cup main-round places for Afghanistan and Bangladesh
UEFA, the AFC and Concacaf have jointly called for an independent investigation into FIFA President Gianni Infantino, according to a report published on August 10, 2026. The three confederations wrote to FIFA seeking an inquiry conducted by a neutral third party outside FIFA’s internal mechanisms into Infantino’s actions.
Their concerns centre on a proposal to sell partnership interests in World Cup commercial rights. They said the proposal was pushed forward quickly without proper consultation with members and relevant stakeholders. FIFA later described the matter as a communication error, but UEFA, the AFC and Concacaf said they were not satisfied, viewing it as a failure of leadership judgment and evidence of a trust crisis within football.
The dispute was further complicated by a meeting held in Morocco, where FIFA said only one elected official attended. No FIFA Council members or member association representatives were invited, and part of FIFA’s senior-official management committee attended. The confederations also requested preservation of all relevant documents, communications and records until an inquiry is completed. They said the dispute is not primarily about money and called for FIFA funds to be used more responsibly for football development in member countries.
UEFA, AFC and Concacaf seek an independent investigation into Gianni Infantino
Ahead of Bangladesh’s latest Test tour of Australia, memories have resurfaced of the team’s historic 2003 visit. Former Bangladesh captain Khaled Mahmud recalled Australian captain Steve Waugh offering encouragement before the first Test in Darwin. Waugh addressed criticism made by former Australia batter David Hookes, describing it as “the words of a madman,” according to Mahmud.
Before the series, Hookes had written that Waugh’s side should beat Bangladesh within a day and argued that Bangladesh did not deserve to remain in Test cricket. Mahmud said Waugh told him not to worry, adding that Bangladesh were a better team than that assessment and would play well against Australia. Mahmud said the comments increased Bangladesh’s confidence.
Mahmud described Australia as a tough opponent on the field but fully professional in its conduct. Although Bangladesh had heard about Australian players’ sledging, he said Waugh’s team never crossed the line and relied on planning and professionalism. After the match, Waugh invited Bangladesh’s team into Australia’s dressing room. Mahmud advised the current Bangladesh side to enjoy every moment of the tour.
Khaled Mahmud recalls Steve Waugh’s supportive words during Bangladesh’s 2003 Australia tour
La Liga president Javier Tebas has called for FIFA president Gianni Infantino to leave office and for sweeping changes to the organisation’s governance. In an interview with French newspaper Le Monde, cited in a report published on August 10, 2026, Tebas said Infantino’s era had ended and argued that football needs fundamental reform. Tebas, who has led La Liga since 2013, said Infantino’s projects were damaging football’s basic structure, particularly national leagues.
Infantino has faced criticism over a plan to sell commercial rights for FIFA competitions to private companies, for which he apologised. The report says UEFA and several football associations have demanded his resignation. Pressure has also increased following allegations that he had an extramarital relationship with a woman while serving as UEFA general secretary, an allegation Infantino has completely denied.
Tebas said the crisis was not limited to one individual but reflected major flaws in FIFA’s broader management and a lack of genuine governance principles in football. He said the selection of a successor should not merely replace one person with another. Tebas said he hoped new leadership would introduce a different approach to football’s control and administration and establish a new governance system at FIFA.
La Liga chief Javier Tebas calls for Infantino's exit and sweeping FIFA governance reform
Lionel Messi attended the private funeral of his father, Jorge Messi, in Rosario on Sunday after Jorge died aged 68 following a long illness. Jorge Messi died at a clinic in Rosario on Saturday. The Inter Miami star travelled from the United States on a private plane with his wife, Antonela Roccuzzo, and their children after receiving news of his father’s death.
The funeral was held at the El Prado private cemetery in the outskirts of Santa Fe. Messi was joined by his mother, Celia Cuccittini, his brothers Matias and Rodrigo, and his sister Maria Sol. Visitor access to the cemetery was restricted to respect the family’s privacy, while public entry was closed from the afternoon and the event was held under tight security.
Residents of Rosario left banners near the airport and cemetery expressing support and condolences. The Argentine Football Association, national team coaching staff and Rosario Mayor Pablo Javkin also conveyed sympathy. Argentina ordered a minute of silence before all professional and youth football matches, with players, coaching staff and referees instructed to wear black armbands in Jorge Messi’s memory.
Lionel Messi joins family in Rosario to bid farewell to his father Jorge Messi
Dubai Capitals have retained Bangladesh left-arm pace bowler Mustafizur Rahman on a direct contract for the new International League T20 season, according to a report published on August 9, 2026. The franchise has again placed its trust in the cutter specialist following his performances in the previous edition.
Mustafizur took 15 wickets in eight matches for Dubai Capitals last season, bowling at an economy rate of 8.08. The report said his effective bowling played a major role in the team’s success and was viewed as the main reason for retaining him for the new campaign.
Dubai Capitals presented the signing through a Facebook post showing a silhouette of Mustafizur’s bowling action and asking followers to identify him. Fans responded by naming Mustafizur and sharing Bangladesh flag emojis. The six-team tournament is scheduled to begin on November 22 and conclude on December 20. Desert Vipers won the previous edition by beating MI Emirates in the final.
Dubai Capitals retain Mustafizur Rahman for the new ILT20 season
FIFA President Gianni Infantino’s adviser Hicham Kharja has described recent European opposition to Infantino as fear of losing dominance. Kharja, FIFA’s director for the Middle East and North Africa, said UEFA’s concern stems from football’s progress in other continents. The report was published on August 9, 2026.
Infantino had proposed selling commercial rights for various FIFA tournaments, including the World Cup. UEFA strongly opposed the plan and had even threatened a World Cup boycott. Infantino later withdrew the proposal after objections from several football bodies. UEFA was subsequently accused of continuing efforts to remove him.
Kharja, a former Morocco international, said many young dual nationals born and trained in Europe now want to represent Morocco. He argued that this trend of players choosing the countries of their roots is unsettling Europe. He also said Infantino’s most vocal critics are European and fear a reduction of their influence in upcoming competition, while seeking to preserve football’s sole dominance.
Infantino adviser says Europe fears losing football dominance as other continents advance
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.