The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
FIFA president Gianni Infantino is facing growing pressure after the governing body withdrew a plan to sell part of the commercial rights to the World Cup and other major competitions to private investors. The report, published on August 2, 2026, said UEFA had publicly declared a loss of confidence in his leadership, while CONCACAF and the Asian Football Confederation also opposed him.
FIFA had proposed creating a new commercial company, FIFA Forward Enterprise, valued at about $20 billion and intended to raise around $4.2 billion. FIFA would have retained majority ownership while allowing private investors to acquire minority stakes. UEFA threatened a World Cup boycott, and longtime Infantino adviser Carlos Cordeiro resigned, calling the project a bad deal for football. Chief operating officer Kevin Lamour said FIFA’s administration had been misled and was unaware of the project.
The report said at least 19 of the 37 FIFA Council members could seek an emergency meeting to increase pressure for resignation. A special congress would require written requests from at least 43 of FIFA’s 211 member countries, while removing Infantino would require at least 106 votes. Infantino said FIFA would seek unity, and Morocco and Egypt welcomed the withdrawal after Qatar.
Infantino faces mounting pressure after FIFA withdrew its private investment plan
FIFA President Gianni Infantino is expected to resign within the next few days, according to a UK Times report cited by Amar Desh on August 2, 2026. The report says he is being forced toward resignation amid pressure inside and outside FIFA after a plan to sell part of the World Cup to private investors failed.
The proposed “FIFA Forward Enterprise” project could have financially benefited Infantino, the report says. However, he was compelled to abandon it after strong opposition from football confederations across different continents. The 56-year-old Swiss football official is described as determined to remain FIFA president, but support for him has been gradually declining.
One source quoted in the report said Infantino is now an ineffective figure and that his opponents have started selecting candidates for a successor. The English FA and UEFA, European football’s governing body, have clearly stated that they have no confidence in Infantino.
Report says Gianni Infantino faces resignation pressure after World Cup sale plan fails
Brazilian footballer Felipe Diogo was fatally shot after returning to his hometown for a holiday, according to Brazilian media reports. The 21-year-old São Bernardo FC forward was killed on Tuesday local time in Ribeirão Preto, in São Paulo state. Diogo was struck by at least 10 bullets and taken in critical condition to the Simioni Emergency Care Unit, where doctors declared him dead.
Known as “Favela,” Diogo had developed through the academies of Cruzeiro and Botafogo before joining São Bernardo, a club in Brazil’s third-tier Série C. He played an important role in the club’s promotion last season. Across all competitions for São Bernardo, the young forward made 18 appearances and scored four goals. He had also played five matches in the current season.
Police have not yet established the motive for the attack. Local authorities said they were collecting evidence at the scene and investigating both the reason for the shooting and those involved. São Bernardo expressed deep sorrow over Diogo’s death and offered condolences to his family. His childhood club, Vila Virgínia, said his death had created a void that would remain with his family, friends, teammates and supporters.
Brazilian forward Felipe Diogo, 21, was fatally shot in Ribeirão Preto
Football superstar Cristiano Ronaldo and Argentine model Georgina Rodriguez are set to marry officially next Saturday, according to the report. The celebrity couple, who have been in a long-term relationship, chose Madeira, the Portuguese forward's birthplace in Portugal, as their wedding venue. Ronaldo is 41, while Rodriguez is 32.
Britain's The Sun reported that the main religious and traditional ceremony will take place at the historic cathedral in Funchal, the capital of Madeira. The cathedral ceremony is described as the central formal part of the couple's planned wedding celebration.
Preparations are also underway at the luxury five-star Savoy Palace hotel in Funchal to host guests after the ceremony. Security at the hotel has been tightened for the event. Hotel authorities have said that two designated floors and several bars will be completely closed to the general public on Friday and Saturday.
Ronaldo and Georgina Rodriguez are set to marry Saturday in Madeira
Bahlul Majnu Biplab, a climber from Kalapania ইউনিয়ন in Sandwip, Chattogram, says he is preparing for an Everest expedition in April-May 2027 if conditions allow. A pharmacy businessman by profession, he took part in 14 climbing expeditions and one trekking expedition between 2009 and 2024, reaching summits successfully in nine climbing attempts. Biplab said he goes to the mountains to find himself and feels newly discovered after reaching a peak.
In 2010, he joined a seven-member Nepal-Bangladesh expedition to climb the previously unconquered 20,528-foot Chekigo peak in Nepal. While ascending without a rope, he began sliding down an almost 80-degree icy slope toward a deep gorge. He said his ice axe eventually caught in hard ice, stopping his fall, and he later reached the summit. The team had decided that, if jointly conquered, the peak would be named Nepal-Bangladesh Friendship Peak.
A regular member of the Bangla Mountaineering and Trekking Club, Biplab began climbing with India’s Stok Kangri in 2009. His major achievements include summiting Tibet’s 23,113-foot Lhakpa Ri in 2018. He said expeditions have been funded through sponsors, family and friends, and his own resources.
Sandwip climber Biplab prepares for a planned Everest expedition in April-May 2027
The Youth and Sports Ministry has formed a five-member inquiry committee following the death of BKSP karate student Yasar Ahmed Jim, who was electrocuted at the Bangladesh Krira Shikkha Protisthan campus in Savar, Dhaka. The ministry’s Sports-2 branch announced the decision in an office order on August 2. The committee will investigate the actual cause of the accident, which the order said occurred at 11:10pm on July 29.
Additional Secretary for Sports-2 Md Mahfuzul Alam Khan will convene the committee. Its members include BKSP Director of Training Colonel Md Golam Mabud Hasan, National Sports Council Director for Planning and Development ABM Ifthekharul Mamun, and Government Physical Education College Principal Md Shamim Hasan. Deputy Secretary for Sports-1 Md Minhaj Rahman will serve as member secretary.
According to the family, BKSP authorities initially said Yasar was electrocuted while climbing a campus wall after training. His body was sent to the Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College Hospital morgue for an autopsy. The committee has been instructed to examine the incident in detail, recommend measures to prevent similar accidents, and submit a report with necessary observations to the ministry. Family members and sports stakeholders have demanded an impartial investigation and action against those responsible.
Five-member panel formed after BKSP karate student Yasar Ahmed Jim died from electrocution
England’s Football Association has called for a full investigation into FIFA’s leadership and governance after FIFA President Gianni Infantino withdrew the controversial FIFA Forward Enterprise investment plan. The FA publicly backed UEFA’s position, according to a report published on August 2, 2026. Infantino announced the plan’s withdrawal early Saturday after mounting opposition.
The proposal sought to bring private investment into FIFA competitions, including the World Cup, with member countries approving it within a specified period set to receive additional funds. UEFA and football federations around the world opposed the initiative. UEFA said FIFA’s current leadership had lost the trust of many in the global football family, alleging the process was handled secretly and was intended to be imposed on member associations.
The English FA said a rigorous review was needed to ensure transparent management of world football, protect the interests of FIFA’s 211 member countries and support the sport’s long-term development. Fifty-five European football federations opposed the plan, while CONCACAF and the Asian Football Confederation also raised objections. Candidate nominations are due to be finalized in November, ahead of FIFA’s presidential election in March 2027.
English FA backs UEFA call for a full review of FIFA leadership after investment plan withdrawal
FIFA has abandoned a plan to sell minority stakes in commercial rights linked to major events, including the World Cup, to outside investors. Despite the reversal, pressure on FIFA president Gianni Infantino is growing, according to a report published on August 2. UEFA and Concacaf welcomed the withdrawal in separate statements but called for a comprehensive review of FIFA's overall leadership.
UEFA described the reversal as a victory for the football world while accusing Infantino of breaking commitments made when he was first elected in 2016. It said the current leadership had lost the confidence of many members of the football family and criticized an attempted opaque deal. Concacaf said unilateral actions and serious irregularities represented a pattern of mistakes, calling for an immediate full review. The Asian Football Confederation expressed solidarity with UEFA and Concacaf.
FIFA had planned to use a commercial affiliate, FIFA Forward Enterprise, to sell stakes in top events. The proposal leaked on Tuesday, prompting UEFA to threaten a World Cup boycott. On Friday, chief operating officer Kevin Lamour said FIFA's administration had been misled with incorrect information. Senior Infantino adviser Carlos Cordeiro resigned, accepting responsibility. Infantino is expected to seek a fourth term at FIFA Congress in March.
FIFA drops share-sale plan as UEFA and Concacaf demand scrutiny of its leadership
Gianni Infantino has completed a decade as FIFA president after taking office in 2016 following Sepp Blatter’s departure. He inherited an organization facing corruption, financial strain and a crisis of confidence, with an estimated $550 million shortfall after sponsors were lost. Infantino pledged to direct football’s money toward football development, increasing funding for member nations, launching new tournaments and expanding the World Cup.
Under his leadership, the World Cup has expanded from 32 to 48 teams and a new-format Club World Cup has been introduced. FIFA’s revenue in the 2023-26 financial cycle is on course to reach a record $13 billion, though the article says much of that growth stems from the controversial Club World Cup and expanded World Cup. Smaller and financially weaker federations have received significant infrastructure and development support, while FIFA’s financial transparency has increased.
Controversy has persisted over Qatar, Saudi Arabia’s path to hosting the 2034 World Cup, player groups’ objections to scheduling, salary increases and Infantino’s ties with US President Donald Trump. UEFA has formally said it has no confidence in his leadership. Infantino, re-elected unopposed in 2019 and 2023, remains eligible to run in the 2027 election under current rules.
FIFA’s finances rose under Infantino, but controversy and UEFA distrust shadow his decade
African football journalist Mamadou Gaye publicly backed FIFA President Gianni Infantino’s controversial private-investment plan, describing it as the “best initiative” for the Confederation of African Football and world football. In a post on X, the longtime Soccer Africa analyst praised Infantino as a “global talent” and said the FIFA president deserved the Nobel Peace Prize.
The proposal had drawn more negative discussion, but Gaye’s comments offered a public endorsement. Under FIFA’s plan, a new commercial company called FIFA Forward Enterprise would manage commercial rights for the World Cup and the organisation’s other major tournaments. Private investors would have been able to buy shares as minority partners, while FIFA member countries would receive additional funding.
The proposal faced strong opposition from UEFA and Concacaf, the governing bodies for European and North and Central American football. FIFA had given member countries until September 19 to approve the proposal. However, amid broad opposition, Infantino ultimately withdrew the plan.
Journalist Mamadou Gaye backs Infantino’s withdrawn FIFA investment plan and calls him Nobel-worthy
Youth and Sports State Minister Md Aminul Haque called for broader sports participation to help children become healthy, values-driven citizens. Speaking on Saturday at an award ceremony for scholarship-winning students in Pallabi, Dhaka, he urged families and educational institutions to work together to reduce children’s excessive dependence on mobile phones and digital devices and encourage them to spend time on playing fields.
The event, organised by the Bangladesh Kindergarten Association, honoured students from Pallabi police station area for the 2025 academic year with certificates, cash awards and crests. Aminul Haque said parents should also participate in exercise and sports. He said giving children opportunities to play could produce future national-level athletes, while time on fields could keep them away from technology addiction and social harms such as drugs.
He said online registration for the “Notun Kuri Sports” programme began on July 1 for children aged 10 to 14. The government is taking steps to ensure playing fields in every union in phases. He also said sports will become compulsory from Class Four in the upcoming curriculum, including practical field assessments in football, cricket, swimming, martial arts and other activities.
Minister urges families and schools to reduce children’s device reliance and expand sports access
South Africa Emerging defeated Bangladesh Emerging by seven wickets in the second unofficial one-day international, according to a report published on August 1, 2026. Bangladesh were bowled out for 89 in 30.2 overs after batting first, and South Africa reached the 90-run target with three wickets down in 18.4 overs.
Mahfuzul Islam top-scored for Bangladesh with 40 from 73 balls. Aminul Islam made 11 and Samiun Basir scored 10, while no other Bangladesh batter reached double figures. Dayyan Galiem led the South African bowling effort with five wickets for 18 runs from 8.2 overs. Mgakane took two wickets for 16 runs.
Richard Seletswane remained unbeaten on 35 from 40 balls in the chase, while M van Buren was not out on 18 from 22 balls. Daniel Smith contributed 22 from 23 deliveries. For Bangladesh, Sheikh Mohammad Rizwan took two wickets for 22 runs and Iqbal Hossain Emon claimed one for 25. The final scores were Bangladesh Emerging 89 all out and South Africa Emerging 92 for three.
South Africa Emerging beat Bangladesh Emerging by seven wickets in the second unofficial ODI
Bangladesh have been drawn with Sri Lanka and Bhutan in Group A of the SAFF Championship. The 15th edition of the regional tournament will be held in Dhaka from November 4 to 17. Nepal could also join Bangladesh’s group if its FIFA suspension is lifted by September 30.
The SAFF authorities have not formally announced anything regarding Nepal’s potential participation. Nepal remains under a FIFA ban, and its place in Group A depends on being cleared before the stated deadline. Group B includes the defending champions, Maldives and Pakistan.
Bangladesh have won the SAFF Championship only once, in 2003. The red-and-green side hopes to lift the trophy again with Hamza and Shamit. Under the announced grouping, Group A consists of Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Bhutan, while Group B features India, Maldives and Pakistan.
Bangladesh draw Sri Lanka and Bhutan in SAFF group as Dhaka prepares to host tournament
Agriculture, Fisheries and Livestock Minister Amin Ur Rashid Yasin alleged that sports were politicised during the “fascist Awami League government.” He made the remarks on Friday night while attending a reception for the Cumilla district cricket team, champions of a national cricket competition, at the Cumilla District Shilpakala Academy. Yasin said sports are a source of joy and that the BNP government is trying to change the situation.
The minister praised the Cumilla players for winning the national cricket title and bringing honour to the district. He said he believed many of them would go on to play internationally and bring honour to the country.
Cumilla City Corporation Administrator and metropolitan BNP general secretary Yusuf Molla Tipu chaired the event. District Commissioner Rozi Akhtar, Additional Superintendent of Police AKM Kamruzzaman, Bangladesh Cricket Board councillor Md Kabir Khan and other sports, political and social representatives attended. Tipu said the city corporation is working continuously to develop sports and promised more successful events in the future.
Agriculture minister alleges sports were politicised at Cumilla cricket team reception
FIFA President Gianni Infantino has withdrawn a proposed plan to bring private investment into the World Cup and other major FIFA tournaments. He formally announced the cancellation on Saturday after strong opposition from football bodies in Europe, North and Central America, and Asia. Infantino acknowledged that the proposal had created divisions within football and said it would not be fair to continue it under those circumstances.
The proposal envisaged creating a subsidiary called FIFA Forward Enterprise to manage commercial operations for the World Cup and FIFA’s major tournaments. Outside investors would have been brought in as minority partners in the company. In return, Infantino had promised additional development funding for FIFA’s 211 member associations.
All 55 UEFA member countries threatened to boycott the World Cup, while CONCACAF’s 41 member associations rejected the proposal and the Asian Football Confederation expressed solidarity with UEFA and CONCACAF. Senior adviser Carlos Cordeiro resigned, calling the plan a bad deal for football. FIFA’s chief operating officer Kevin Lamour said many officials had been kept in the dark. FIFA’s presidential election is due in Morocco next March.
FIFA drops private investment plan for major tournaments after opposition from football confederations
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.