The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
The Non-Government Teachers’ Registration and Certification Authority (NTRCA) has issued a notice requesting educational institutions to submit information on vacant teaching positions for the upcoming special recruitment recommendation. According to the announcement released on Tuesday, November 18, institutions must submit their vacancy data online between November 19 and 28. Only vacancies that existed up to September 30 of the current year will be accepted. The initiative covers MPO-listed private schools, colleges, madrasas, technical, and business management institutions. After submitting the online vacancy demand, institutions are required to pay the associated fee within three days. The collected data will be used for NTRCA’s next round of entry-level teacher recruitment recommendations.
NTRCA calls on private institutions to submit teacher vacancy data online by November 28
Pakistan’s leading newspaper Dawn published an editorial commenting on the death sentence handed to former Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina by a tribunal she had established during her rule. The editorial stated that Hasina, once a dominant political figure, was convicted of crimes against humanity by the International Crimes Tribunal after her government’s violent crackdown on mass protests in 2023. It noted that she fled to India in August 2024, calling the verdict biased and politically motivated. Dawn observed that the same tribunal had previously sentenced many of Hasina’s political opponents, including members of Jamaat-e-Islami and the BNP, to death, drawing criticism for partiality. The editorial further argued that Hasina’s government had become increasingly authoritarian, enriching allies and suppressing dissent, which eventually led to her downfall. It concluded that Bangladesh now faces a critical juncture, with an interim authority tasked with restoring full democratic governance ahead of the next election.
Dawn editorial says Sheikh Hasina sentenced to death by tribunal she created amid Bangladesh turmoil
Security forces, including the army, police, and Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB), have been deployed at Dhanmondi 32 in Dhaka after protesters attempted to demolish Sheikh Mujibur Rahman’s historic residence on Monday. The incident occurred on the day of the verdict in a war crimes case related to the July uprising. Demonstrators brought two excavators to the site but were stopped by security personnel, leading to several clashes. The protesters eventually left the area around 10 p.m. On Tuesday, police and BGB maintained barricades at the entrance of Road 32, while army vehicles were stationed near the house. Authorities confirmed that the excavators were removed overnight and that security remains tight around the premises. Earlier this year, parts of the house were damaged during previous unrest, including a fire incident on August 5, 2024.
Army police and BGB secure Dhanmondi 32 after protesters attempt to demolish Sheikh Mujibur’s house
In Sirajdikhan, Munshiganj, members of the banned Awami League-affiliated organizations Jubo League and Chhatra League organized a rally on Tuesday morning under police presence. The procession, led by Sirajdikhan Upazila Jubo League joint convener Zahidul Islam Litu, took place in Imamganj Bazar under the banner of the two prohibited groups. Witnesses said police vehicles accompanied the rally, raising controversy as the event occurred despite a ban on their political activities. The incident followed a day after the International Crimes Tribunal sentenced former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and ex-Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal to death for alleged crimes related to the 2024 uprising that left over 1,400 people dead. The local police chief confirmed the rally but claimed officers were unaware of the gathering until it dispersed. The public expressed surprise at the open defiance of the ban in front of law enforcement.
Banned Awami League affiliates rally in Sirajdikhan under police watch after Hasina death verdict
A writ petition has been filed in the High Court challenging the legality of the government-approved merger plan involving five Shariah-based private banks in Bangladesh—First Security Islami Bank, Global Islami Bank, Union Bank, EXIM Bank, and Social Islami Bank. The petition, submitted on behalf of investor Shahidul Islam by Barrister Mahsib Hossain, names the Bangladesh Bank governor and the finance secretary among the respondents. The merger proposal, approved on October 9 by an advisory council, aims to form a new Shariah-compliant entity tentatively named either United Islamic Bank or Sammilito Islamic Bank. The new bank would assume all assets and liabilities of the merged institutions, with an authorized capital of Tk 40,000 crore, including Tk 20,000 crore from the government. Bangladesh Bank recently appointed administrators to manage the financially weak banks, assuring depositors that their funds remain secure and that no employees will be dismissed during the restructuring process.
High Court petition challenges merger legality of five Shariah-based private banks in Bangladesh
Sobhan, a resident of Dumki in Patuakhali, expressed emotional relief after the International Crimes Tribunal sentenced former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to death for crimes against humanity linked to last year’s July–August uprising. His son, Jasim, was shot dead by police during the protests at Mohammadpur intersection in Dhaka. Sobhan described the verdict as ‘true justice,’ saying it would bring peace to his son’s soul. Local residents view his reaction as symbolic of the broader sentiment among families who lost loved ones during the mass movement demanding justice and equality. The tribunal’s ruling marks a significant moment for victims’ families who had long awaited accountability for the violence that occurred during the anti-government uprising.
Father of slain protester says Hasina’s death verdict brings long-awaited justice for his son
A Dhaka court has ordered the seizure of immovable properties worth Tk 180.37 crore belonging to NASA Group Chairman Nazrul Islam Majumder, including 162 kathas of land in the Jalshiri Housing Project and 53 registered plots. The order was issued by Dhaka Metropolitan Senior Special Judge Md Sabbir Foyez on Tuesday, November 18, following a petition by Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) Assistant Director Shahjahan Miraj. The court also directed the freezing of Tk 2.02 crore across three bank accounts. The ACC alleged that Majumder amassed Tk 781 crore through misuse of power, bribery, and corruption, which are inconsistent with his known sources of income. Investigators claimed that he was attempting to transfer or sell his assets before the case’s resolution. The court acted under the Money Laundering Prevention Act, 2002, and the ACC Rules, 2007, to prevent potential loss to the state.
Dhaka court seizes Tk 180 crore assets of NASA Group chairman over corruption allegations
A Dhaka court has ordered the freezing of 74 bank accounts associated with Tanvir Ahmed Mishuk, former managing director of mobile financial service provider Nagad Limited, and other related individuals and entities. The order was issued by Dhaka Metropolitan Senior Special Judge Md Sabbir Foyez following a petition from the Criminal Investigation Department (CID). The CID sought the freeze to ensure an impartial investigation into allegations that Nagad officials and affiliates may have issued excess e-money, embezzled funds through fraudulent transactions, and laundered money abroad. The petition also raised suspicions of undervalued share transfers to foreign investors as part of possible money laundering. The accounts will remain frozen until the investigation concludes under the Money Laundering Prevention Act, 2012 (amended 2015). The court’s decision aims to prevent any transfer of funds that could obstruct the ongoing inquiry.
Dhaka court freezes 74 Nagad-linked accounts amid probe into alleged money laundering
Dhaka will host the 24th International Qirat Conference Bangladesh–2025 on November 28 at the National Mosque Baitul Mukarram. The event, organized by the International Quran Recitation Organization ‘Iqra’ and sponsored by PHP Family with support from the Islamic Foundation Bangladesh, aims to promote Quran recitation globally. Distinguished reciters from Egypt, Turkey, Pakistan, Iran, and the Philippines will participate, including Sheikh Ahmad Al Jawhari, Sheikh Abdul Wali Arakani, Qari Anwarul Hasan Shah Bukhari, Qari Mahdi Gholamnejad, and Qari Muhammad Nair Asfar. The conference will be presided over by the eminent reciter Sheikh Ahmad bin Yusuf Al Azhari. Chief Guest will be Religious Affairs Adviser Dr. A F M Khalid Hossain, while PHP Family Chairman Sufi Md. Mizanur Rahman will attend as chief patron. Special guests include Islamic Foundation Director General A. Halim Khan, Dhaka Deputy Commissioner Tanzil Ahmed, and DIG of Police Ejaz Ahmed. Diplomats from various countries are also expected to attend.
Dhaka to host 24th International Qirat Conference 2025 featuring world-renowned Quran reciters
The Bangladesh government has issued the Bangladesh Labour (Amendment) Ordinance 2025, allowing the formation of trade unions with the consent of at least 20 workers in a factory. Previously, 20 percent of a factory’s workforce was required to form a union. The new ordinance specifies the number of workers needed for union registration based on total workforce size, ranging from 20 to 400. The amendment aims to modernize labor laws, align them with International Labour Organization (ILO) conventions, and ensure greater balance between workers and employers. It extends labor law protections to domestic workers and sailors, prohibits blacklisting, strengthens measures against sexual harassment, enhances maternity benefits, and bans gender-based wage discrimination. The ordinance also introduces improved mechanisms for dispute resolution and establishes a fund for rehabilitation and medical support of injured workers. Officials described the reform as a landmark step toward international labor standards.
Bangladesh eases trade union formation rules allowing unions with consent of minimum 20 workers
Human Rights Watch (HRW) has expressed serious concern over the death sentence handed to former Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and former Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal in absentia by the International Crimes Tribunal. In a statement issued from New York on November 17, HRW said the two were tried without being present and were not represented by lawyers of their choice, violating fair trial standards. The organization emphasized that accountability for abuses under Hasina’s administration must follow international justice norms. HRW also noted that former police chief Chowdhury Abdullah Al-Mamun, the third accused who testified as a prosecution witness, received a reduced five-year sentence. The group urged Bangladesh to ensure impartial investigations and credible trials. HRW further highlighted that the UN and Bangladesh had signed a memorandum to promote human rights, suggesting that a moratorium on executions would align with that commitment.
HRW voices concern over Sheikh Hasina’s death sentence in absentia trial in Bangladesh
Bangladesh’s Economic Affairs Adviser Dr. Salehuddin Ahmed announced that the government will procure 17,000 shotguns for Ansar forces before the upcoming national elections to replace outdated weapons. The decision was made at a meeting of the Economic Affairs Advisory Committee on November 18. He also stated that the earlier plan to buy 40,000 body-worn cameras for polling centers will be revised, with cameras now to be deployed only at high-risk centers. The procurement process will be conducted transparently, with coordination between the Election Commission and the Ministry of Home Affairs. Additionally, the government approved funds to purchase one crore e-passport books due to rising demand and will procure EPI vaccines amid supply concerns. To stabilize food prices ahead of Ramadan, rice and wheat imports will also be arranged.
Bangladesh to buy 17,000 shotguns for Ansar forces ahead of elections to enhance security
Leaders of Bangladesh’s opposition youth wing, Jubo Dal, have alleged that the killing of their leader Golam Kibria was a politically motivated act intended to derail the upcoming February national election and undermine the electoral environment. Speaking at a meeting organized by the South Jubo Dal at the Diploma Engineering Institute in Dhaka, they stated that Kibria’s murder was not an isolated incident but part of a broader attempt to create instability. The leaders urged the government to intensify efforts to arrest the perpetrators and warned that Jubo Dal would take to the streets if provoked. They emphasized the need for a swiftly elected government to steer the country out of crisis and accused certain groups of manipulating the political process to delay the polls. The meeting concluded with a rally from Kakrail to Nayapaltan, where participants pledged to work for the victory of candidates representing the BNP’s electoral symbol, the paddy sheaf.
Jubo Dal leaders allege Golam Kibria’s killing was part of a plot to derail February election
Mohammad Zahidul Islam Miah, widely known across Bangladesh as the 'Humanitarian DC', officially assumed office on Tuesday, November 18, as the 34th Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate of Chattogram. He took over from Acting DC Md Kamruzzaman in a formal handover ceremony. Previously, Zahidul served successfully as DC in Rajbari and Narayanganj, where he earned national recognition for his compassionate administrative initiatives. His tenure in Narayanganj included extensive welfare programs for underprivileged groups, support for injured activists, and community development projects such as the 'Green and Clean Narayanganj' campaign. Upon taking charge in Chattogram, Zahidul pledged to establish a people-oriented and humane administration, emphasizing professionalism, good governance, and cooperation from all sectors. Born in Tangail in 1979, Zahidul is a 25th BCS officer with academic credentials from the University of Dhaka and the UK. His appointment has been welcomed as a continuation of his reputation for empathy and effective public service.
Humanitarian DC Zahidul Islam assumes charge in Chattogram pledging people-centered and ethical administration
A Dhaka court has ordered the freezing of 33 bank accounts belonging to former Home Minister and ex-chairman of Farmers Bank Limited, Dr. Mahiuddin Khan Alamgir, and his wife Sitara Alamgir. The order was issued by Dhaka Metropolitan Senior Special Judge Md Sabbir Foyez following a petition from the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC). The ACC alleged that the couple attempted to withdraw and transfer funds from their accounts to conceal illegally obtained money. Investigators suspect the accounts were used for money laundering between 2009 and September 2024, involving over Tk 216 crore and foreign currency transactions. The freeze was imposed under the Money Laundering Prevention Act, 2012, and the ACC Rules, 2007, to ensure a fair investigation. The ACC had earlier filed a case against the couple on November 12, accusing them of concealing the sources and ownership of illicit wealth.
Dhaka court freezes 33 bank accounts of ex-minister Mahiuddin Khan Alamgir and his wife Sitara
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.