The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
The re-evaluation results of this year’s Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) and equivalent examinations are expected to be published on November 16, according to officials of the Dhaka Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education. The results follow the rule that mandates publication within 30 days of the re-evaluation application deadline. The application process for re-evaluation—also known as the “script challenge”—was conducted online only this year, starting on October 17 and ending on October 23. Unlike previous years, no applications were accepted via SMS or through any education offices. The original HSC and equivalent results were released on October 16, showing a pass rate of 58.83%, significantly lower than last year’s 77.78%. A total of 69,097 students achieved GPA-5 this year, while 12,51,111 candidates participated under 11 education boards across the country.
According to the rules, the re-evaluation results are supposed to be published within 30 days of the application. Accordingly, November 16 has been set as the probable date for the result publication
Tension erupted in Bhola’s New Market area on Saturday afternoon when an eviction drive targeting illegal shops on municipal land turned violent. According to Bhola Municipality Administrator Md. Mizanur Rahman, agitated traders protesting the demolition of their unauthorized establishments set fire to three municipal trucks used for garbage and goods transport. Before locals could control the blaze, the vehicles’ bodies and engines were severely damaged. Witnesses said the fire was deliberately started on trucks carrying dismantled shop materials, and the attackers prevented anyone from approaching. District Commissioner Md. Azad Jahan visited the scene shortly afterward and announced that the incident would be investigated. Many residents criticized the delayed police response, noting that the violence occurred near the police station. Bhola Model Police Station’s OC Md. Hachnain Parvez said police were unaware of the eviction drive but will take legal action once a complaint is filed.
Burned municipal trucks in Bhola after protesters torched them during an eviction drive at New Market
Three people, including a BNP activist, were injured in an alleged attack led by a local Jubo League leader in Gournadi, Barishal, following a dispute over a theft accusation. The incident occurred around 7:45 p.m. on Friday inside and outside the Nathai Mohammadia Jame Mosque. The injured are BNP activist Syed Abdul Alim (62), his wife Mrs. Lia (51), and their son Syed Tawsin Islam (15). According to the victims, the assault was led by Syed Mehedi Sulav, a Union Parishad member and joint secretary of the Gournadi Upazila Jubo League, after a quarrel involving the cutting of a tree. Mrs. Lia claimed Sulav and his associates attacked her husband, and when she and her son tried to intervene, they too were beaten. Police confirmed receiving a written complaint and said legal action would follow pending investigation. Sulav denied the allegations, claiming self-defense.
Due to an accusation of theft, three members of a family, including a BNP activist, were injured in an attack allegedly led by a Jubo League leader in Gournadi, Barishal
A political controversy has gripped Gazipur after a video showing BNP leader and Gazipur City BNP President Md. Shawkat Hossain Sarker receiving money from a car sale was misrepresented on social media as an “extortion collection.” The video, allegedly edited and spread with ill intent, quickly went viral, sparking outrage among local BNP activists. According to party sources, Shawkat had mediated a legitimate car sale between his son and Afzal, brother of ruling party councilor Abbas Uddin, for a price of Tk 10 lakh. The payment, made in three installments, was recorded as part of the sale. However, the footage was later distorted and circulated to damage Shawkat’s political image. Following the viral post, BNP activists staged protest rallies across Gazipur on Friday night and Saturday, demanding exemplary punishment for those behind the smear campaign. Shawkat condemned the act, calling it a politically motivated conspiracy.
Terming the incident a conspiratorial and intentional smear campaign, BNP leaders and activists brought out protest processions across the city on Friday night
A youth front activist, Md. Alamgir (55), was shot dead by terrorists in Raozan, Chattogram, on Saturday afternoon. The incident occurred around 4:30 PM near Kaykobbad Ahmad Chowdhury Jame Mosque in Charabattola area under Raozan Municipality’s Ward No. 9. Alamgir, a follower of former MP and BNP leader Golam Akbar Khondker, was returning home after attending a family meeting on a land dispute when a group of armed men on motorcycles opened fire on him. He died on the spot after sustaining multiple gunshot wounds. Another man, Md. Riaz (30), was seriously injured and admitted to Chittagong Medical College Hospital. Alamgir’s family accused known local criminals of the killing but did not immediately file a case. Police suspect the attack stemmed from a previous enmity and have launched an investigation to arrest the culprits.
A youth front activist named Md. Alamgir (55) was shot dead by terrorists in Raozan upazila of Chattogram
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has lauded Bangladesh Bank for its success in boosting the country’s foreign exchange reserves. Thomas Helbling, Deputy Director of the IMF’s Asia and Pacific Department, praised the achievement during a press briefing in Hong Kong on October 24. He emphasized that increasing reserves remains a central objective under the IMF-supported program, particularly as Bangladesh continues to face balance of payments pressures. According to IMF data, Bangladesh’s reserves rose to $27.35 billion as of October 16, 2025, compared to $19.93 billion a year earlier. Helbling highlighted that such improvement is vital for ensuring external stability and maintaining confidence in the economy. He also confirmed that an IMF mission will visit Bangladesh this month to conduct the fifth review of the $5.5 billion loan program, assessing both reserve management progress and consistency with the central bank’s exchange rate policy.
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has welcomed the increase in Bangladesh Bank’s foreign exchange reserve
Hefazat-e-Islam has urged the Bangladeshi government to investigate the activities of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON), claiming that some of its operations may raise questions regarding national security and communal harmony. In a statement issued Saturday evening, Hefazat’s Joint Secretary-General Maulana Azizul Haque Islamabadi alleged that ISKCON is conducting religious and infrastructural activities across Bangladesh without proper registration or government approval. He referenced earlier reports suggesting that individuals involved in controversial incidents had alleged links to ISKCON and demanded that these claims be verified through official inquiry. Maulana Azizul emphasized that Bangladesh is a secular nation where all religious communities should coexist peacefully and that religious organizations must act responsibly to maintain harmony. ISKCON leaders have not commented on the latest allegations, though the group has previously maintained that it engages solely in social, humanitarian, and spiritual work, rejecting any connection to extremist activities.
In the statement, Hefazat said that ISKCON has been carrying out infrastructural and religious activities in various places across Bangladesh without registration or government approval — which warrants an investigation
A four-nation expert team comprising specialists from the United Kingdom, Australia, China, and Turkey will assist Bangladesh in investigating the recent fire at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport’s cargo village. Home Affairs Adviser Lt. Gen. (Retd.) Md. Jahangir Alam Chowdhury said the team will help determine whether any negligence or mismanagement was involved. He praised the Fire Service for their timely response, noting that airport fire units reached the scene within four minutes, followed by other units within 20 minutes. The blaze spread rapidly because the area contained mostly food products. Discussions are ongoing to activate electronic gates at the airport, and measures will be taken to ease passport-related issues for expatriate workers. Civil Aviation Authority Chairman Air Vice Marshal Md. Mostafa Mahmud Siddiq and other officials were also present during the inspection.
A four-nation expert team comprising specialists from the United Kingdom, Australia, China, and Turkey will assist Bangladesh in investigating the recent fire at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport’s cargo village
Israel is witnessing an unprecedented wave of emigration, described as a “tsunami” by Knesset member Gilad Kariv, amid ongoing tensions in Gaza and the recent West Bank settlement bill. A Knesset report shows that from early 2022 to mid-2024, over 125,000 Israeli settlers have permanently left the country, marking the largest human resource loss in Israel’s modern history. Analysts warn that Israel’s genocidal operations in Gaza, which killed nearly 70,000 Palestinians, have likely fueled this surge. Annual emigration numbers, previously averaging around 40,500, spiked to 59,400 in 2022 and 82,800 in 2023. The trend appears to continue into 2025, reflecting growing insecurity and disillusionment among citizens. Despite a fragile ceasefire, ongoing attacks on civilians have cast uncertainty over future peace prospects in the region.
Israel is witnessing an unprecedented wave of emigration, described as a “tsunami” by Knesset member Gilad Kariv, amid ongoing tensions in Gaza and the recent West Bank settlement bill
The government has launched a major reform in the health sector, merging seven existing institutions—including the Directorate General of Health Services, Directorate of Health Education, and Directorate of Family Planning—into three directorates. The restructured bodies will be the Directorate of Medical Services, overseeing all hospitals; the Directorate of Primary Health Care and Public Health, focusing on preventive and primary care; and the Directorate of Health Education and Research, managing medical, dental, and nursing education. The Medicine and Healthcare Products Regulatory Authority (MHRA) will replace the current Directorate of Drug Administration to regulate medicines and cosmetics. A Health Technology Assessment Unit will evaluate medical products and technology for better decision-making. Officials say the reforms aim to provide integrated services at a single point, improve efficiency, and strengthen the overall healthcare system, with phased implementation expected within 30 to 45 days.
The government has launched a major reform in the health sector, merging seven existing institutions—including the Directorate General of Health Services, Directorate of Health Education, and Directorate of Family Planning—into three directorates
The Dhaka Union of Journalists (DUJ) election, originally scheduled for November 15, has been unexpectedly postponed, triggering strong reactions from candidates across multiple panels. Election Committee Chairman Hasan Hafiz announced the postponement on Thursday night via a notice on the DUJ board, citing “unavoidable reasons.” Candidates expressed shock and opposition, arguing that no valid constitutional provision allows cancellation without specific circumstances. More than 100 candidates have already purchased and submitted nominations and are actively campaigning. Candidates, including Didarul Alam, DM Amirul Islam Omar, and Israfil Farazi, demanded a clear explanation from the Election Commission and warned that the election must be held on November 15. They also threatened strict protests and legal action if the decision is not reversed by October 25. Several candidates accused political influence in panel-based elections and called for reforms to prevent party control over the journalists’ body.
The Dhaka Union of Journalists (DUJ) election, originally scheduled for November 15, has been unexpectedly postponed, triggering strong reactions from candidates across multiple panels
Hajj registration in Bangladesh is experiencing its worst situation in recent years, with only 73,416 pilgrims registering in both government and private systems, fulfilling just 57% of the total quota of 127,198. Despite extending the registration period, many devout Muslims could not participate due to high airfare, elevated registration fees, and financial constraints. Some officials in the Ministry of Religious Affairs have been accused of creating controversies that disrupted government-run Hajj arrangements. Recent trends show a growing preference for Umrah, with some believing it replaces Hajj, further reducing registration. Government preliminary registration recorded only 4,102 pilgrims, while private agencies accounted for 69,314. Hajj packages remain expensive, with costs surpassing normal airfare, and advance airfare collection discouraged many from signing up. The government has announced that registration will not be extended, leaving 53,782 slots unfilled for next year’s Hajj scheduled on 26 May.
Hajj registration in Bangladesh is experiencing its worst situation in recent years, with only 73,416 pilgrims registering in both government and private systems, fulfilling just 57% of the total quota of 127,198
The 22-day nationwide ban on catching hilsa, imposed to protect the fish during its breeding season, ends at midnight tonight (Saturday, October 25). Around 300,000 fishermen in Bhola district are eagerly preparing to set sail on the Meghna and Tetulia rivers. They are busy repairing boats, mending nets, and purchasing new fishing gear—many by taking loans. The fishermen hope to catch enough hilsa to repay their debts and recover from the financial strain of the fishing ban. Bhola’s District Fisheries Officer, Md. Iqbal Hossain, expressed optimism that this year’s hilsa season will be successful and help fishermen overcome losses. During the restriction period, authorities from the Fisheries Department and Coast Guard conducted drives across seven upazilas, detaining over 200 fishermen and seizing a large number of illegal nets.
Fishermen in Bhola prepare their boats and nets as the hilsa fishing ban ends tonight
BNP Standing Committee Member Salahuddin Ahmed has urged all democratic forces to remain united to prevent the “return of fascism” and protect Bangladesh’s democracy, independence, and sovereignty. Speaking at an event marking the 21st anniversary of the Daily Naya Diganta at the Bangladesh Shilpakala Academy on Saturday, Ahmed emphasized that ideological differences must not divide the nation when its core interests are at stake. “If our disunity leads to the return of fascism, the nation will never forgive us,” he warned. He further stated that every citizen must fulfill the pledge made with the blood of the martyrs and “close all doors to the fascist Awami League’s comeback.” Reflecting on his exile and imprisonment, Ahmed said he never deviated from the path of struggle. He also recalled his time in a prison hospital cell with journalist Mahmudur Rahman and urged youth to uphold democratic ideals for future generations.
BNP Standing Committee Member Salahuddin Ahmed. File photo
Salema Begum, a 65-year-old beggar from Sirajganj, who became known nationwide for saving three sacks of money from her lifelong begging, passed away on Friday evening (October 24) at Shaheed Ziaur Rahman Medical College Hospital in Bogura while undergoing treatment. For over four decades, she lived in extreme poverty, barely eating, yet saved every coin she received through begging. Locally known as “Chhale Pagli,” Salema had lived alone in an abandoned workers’ quarter at Raypur 1 No. Millgate. Earlier this month, locals discovered her secret fortune—three sacks of cash totaling around Tk 1.74 lakh. Her daughter said Salema suffered from mental instability and obsessively hoarded money. Doctors diagnosed her with liver cancer before her death. She was buried Saturday morning (October 25) at the Kandapara graveyard in Sirajganj. According to local authorities, her savings will be distributed in accordance with Islamic law.
She had saved three sacks of money from begging. Salema Begum (65), who became widely discussed in Sirajganj for saving three sacks of money through begging, has passed away
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.