The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
Hawaii Governor Josh Green declared a state of emergency as Tropical Storm Lala strengthened in the Pacific, with forecasters warning it could bring strong winds, flooding and landslides over the weekend. The National Weather Service said the storm could become a hurricane as it approaches the Big Island. The report was published on August 14, 2026.
Lala currently has winds of about 50 mph, or 80 kph, with stronger gusts. Weather officials said some areas of the Big Island could receive up to 25 inches, or 63.5 centimeters, of rainfall. The emergency declaration enables faster deployment of funding, equipment and personnel if needed to respond to damage.
Green called the storm a serious threat, particularly for Hawaii Island, and urged residents to secure their homes, gather essential supplies, review family emergency plans and follow updates from reliable official sources. About 210,000 people live on Hawaii Island. The storm's exact path remains uncertain, although forecasts indicate it may remain offshore near the coast. It could be the first tropical storm to make a direct hit on the Hawaiian Islands since 2018.
Hawaii declares emergency as Tropical Storm Lala could bring hurricane conditions and heavy rain
The USS Abraham Lincoln has remained at sea for more than 250 days to take part in the Iran war, with about 5,000 sailors aboard, according to the report. Complaints have emerged over shortages of food and daily necessities, broken toilets, limited hot water and laundry services. Family members said sailors were exhausted and under mental strain, with some reportedly considering jumping from the ship.
Democratic Senator Richard Blumenthal sought answers from Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, citing food and water shortages, contaminated water, toilet problems, declining mental health and mail delays. Senator Ruben Gallego called for a congressional delegation to be allowed aboard to investigate. Representative Mike Levin described moldy showers, broken toilets, laundry outages lasting weeks, lack of hot water and limited meals, along with shortages of soap, deodorant and toothpaste.
The US Navy said it found no evidence of an increase in suicidal thoughts or attempts. It said that while normal supply arrangements had been disrupted by wartime conditions, the ship currently had clean water, functioning air conditioning and sufficient food. The Navy said supplies were being prioritized for food first, followed by hygiene items and mail. Hegseth rejected the allegations and thanked the sailors.
Lawmakers seek scrutiny over supply and welfare complaints aboard USS Abraham Lincoln
The AFL-CIO, the largest labor union federation in the United States, said in a report that Tesla chief executive Elon Musk received compensation in 2025 that was about 2.5 million times that of the company’s average worker. The report, cited in an article published on August 14, 2026, put Musk’s total compensation at about $1.583 trillion.
Excluding Musk, the average pay gap between chief executives and workers at leading S&P 500 companies was 312-to-1, up from 285-to-1 in 2024, according to the report. Including Musk, the ratio rose to 5,387-to-1. His compensation pushed average compensation for top executives in 2025 to $341 million, while the figure was $22.8 million without him.
The report said workers’ share of US national income was at its lowest point since World War II, while many Americans faced financial strain over retirement savings, emergency expenses and medical costs. AFL-CIO Secretary-Treasurer Fred Redmond accused CEOs and the Trump administration of manipulating the economy to enrich themselves at the expense of working people. The report also cited President Donald Trump’s 2025 income of about $2.2 billion from multiple sources, including crypto assets.
AFL-CIO says Musk's 2025 pay was about 2.5 million times Tesla's average worker compensation
US Senator Richard Blumenthal has sought answers from Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao over living and working conditions for sailors aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln. In a Wednesday letter, the Senate Armed Services Committee member raised concerns about the carrier, which the report said has been at sea for more than 250 days after its deployment was extended.
Blumenthal cited reports of shortages of basic supplies, water contamination, plumbing problems, deteriorating sailor mental health, safety risks on the deck and major disruptions to mail service. He said many care packages sent to the carrier had been lost in transit for months. The USS Abraham Lincoln departed Naval Base San Diego, California, on November 21, 2025, for an initially planned seven-month deployment, with a return expected in May.
The deployment was later extended and no return date has been publicly announced. Blumenthal said the ship has spent more than 200 consecutive days at sea without stopping at a port, describing it as a record. He called for a prompt investigation and questioned whether the Navy can sustain operational demands while maintaining sailor welfare, equipment readiness and scheduled maintenance.
Senator seeks Pentagon answers over sailor welfare and conditions aboard USS Abraham Lincoln
Sailors and Marines aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln have faced severe mental strain during an extended Middle East deployment, according to complaints from their families. The report, published on August 13, 2026, said the US aircraft carrier, carrying about 5,000 sailors and Marines, has been deployed for more than eight months. Its mission was expected to end under the original plan, but has been extended several times because of ongoing US military operations against Iran. No specific return date has been announced.
Families said prolonged time at sea, sustained workloads and inadequate rest were worsening personnel’s mental and physical condition. Reports have also indicated that several sailors attempted to jump into the sea, prompting renewed concern about mental health conditions on board. Families further alleged food shortages, broken toilets, hygiene-related problems and other mismanagement, saying members had become exhausted and discouraged under prolonged difficult conditions.
Several members of the US Congress have expressed concern and called for scrutiny of living conditions, mental health care and the extended deployment. The US Navy said necessary support and mental health services are available to personnel. Families, however, said sailors need prompt opportunities for rest and a clear decision on the deployment timeline.
Families raise concerns over stress and conditions aboard USS Abraham Lincoln
Online shopping startup Fia, co-founded by Bill Gates’ daughter Phoebe Gates and Sophia Kianni, faces allegations of fraud involving “cookie stuffing,” an online advertising and commission scheme. A report published on August 13, 2026 said Fia allegedly used affiliate tracking codes in ways that could direct sales commissions to the company even when users did not buy products directly through it. Launched in 2025, Fia compares product prices across websites and finds discount codes.
According to the allegations, Fia’s browser extension activated affiliate links connected to online stores without users’ knowledge. This could allow Fia to claim commission credit even where another person or company had played the actual role in making a sale. Fia initially described the issue as a technical error, but questions later arose over published information and internal communications. Reports also said there is scrutiny over whether Gates and Kianni knew about the matter for months.
Fia said it removed the disputed feature on July 7. The company said it is reviewing transactions in which commissions were incorrectly attributed to it and is seeking to return money to relevant brands and partners. It also said it plans to hire a compliance officer to prevent similar incidents. The report said no formal criminal charge or sentence against Phoebe Gates has been identified.
Fia removes disputed feature and says it will review commissions amid cookie stuffing allegations
The Intercept and the Freedom of the Press Foundation have sued US President Donald Trump, seeking to stop a plan that would let paying customers see his social media posts before publication. The lawsuit was filed Wednesday local time and is set to be heard in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York.
The plaintiffs argue that the service would restrict public access to important information of public interest. They describe the plan as corrupt, alleging that the president could financially benefit his private company by providing market-moving government information to people willing and able to pay. They also say the arrangement would undermine equal access to information for news organizations.
The complaint says Trump’s company offers Truth API subscriptions costing $60,000 to $100,000 per month, with advance access to important government announcements. The plaintiffs contend the system is unconstitutional and violates the First and Fifth Amendments. Truth API launched on August 1 and had attracted more than 10 customers by August 10, according to the lawsuit. The subscription service is run by Trump Media & Technology Group.
News groups sue Trump over paid early access to his social media posts
Two people were killed after a military helicopter crashed in a field south of the village of Salado in central Texas, the United States. Police responded after receiving reports of wreckage and found two people dead at the scene. The report was published on August 13, 2026.
The US Army identified the aircraft as an AH-64 Apache attack helicopter assigned to the nearby Fort Hood military base, described as one of the Army’s largest bases. The Army says the Apache is a twin-engine, four-blade multipurpose attack helicopter capable of armed reconnaissance, frontline combat, mobile strikes and vertical tactical operations.
Bell County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Cliff Coleman said officers found a major fire at the crash site that was rapidly getting out of control. The US Army said an investigation was underway and emergency recovery efforts were continuing. Brigadier General Ethan Diven, acting commanding general of the First Cavalry Division, said the immediate priorities were securing the site and supporting initial recovery operations.
Two people died after an Apache military helicopter crashed in central Texas
Karoline Leavitt will step down as White House press secretary at the end of this month to spend more time with her family and two young children, according to US President Donald Trump. Leavitt, 28, took the role last year and became the youngest person in US history to serve as White House press secretary.
In a social media post, Trump described Leavitt as one of his most trusted aides. He said she would remain one of his principal advisers after leaving the press secretary post and would continue to play an influential role within the Republican Party. Leavitt gave birth to a daughter in May, her second child with husband Nicholas Riccio; the couple also has a two-year-old son.
Leavitt returned to work last month after maternity leave and said she found it difficult to balance the time, energy and focus required by the press secretary role with giving her children the time they need. She called the decision difficult but necessary. Trump has not announced who will replace her.
Karoline Leavitt will leave as White House press secretary at month’s end to spend more time with family
U.S. Representative Ilhan Omar won the Democratic primary in Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District on Tuesday, securing her party’s nomination for the U.S. House election. Preliminary results showed Omar receiving more than 80 percent of the vote in the contest, according to the report published on August 12, 2026.
Omar has represented the district since 2018 and has previously been elected to Congress from the seat four times. The district is described as a Democratic stronghold. Her Democratic primary opponents were Julie T. Lee, Abena McKenzie, Latonia Reeves and Nat Schluter. The report said she did not face a major strong challenger in this year’s primary.
Known as a critic of President Donald Trump’s strict immigration policies, Omar won the previous general election by nearly 50 percentage points and defeated a Democratic primary opponent by 13 points in 2024. In the Republican primary for the district, John Nagel was projected to win with 52.1 percent of the vote. Omar’s victory moves her closer to another election to the House from Minnesota’s 5th District.
Ilhan Omar wins Minnesota Democratic primary, securing her House nomination
Current and former Palestinian students and workers have sued Columbia University in a New York court, alleging discrimination against members of the Palestinian community since late 2023. The lawsuit says the university failed to protect Palestinian students and employees from harassment and imposed biased and unfair disciplinary measures against them.
The plaintiffs say students and workers who spoke for Palestinian rights or protested Israeli attacks in Gaza were subjected to particular surveillance and discipline. Columbia has previously denied discrimination allegations and condemned all forms of hatred, but did not immediately comment on the new lawsuit. Pro-Palestinian demonstrations spread across US universities, including Columbia, after the Gaza war began in October 2023.
Protesters had called for an end to US support for Israel and for universities to divest from Israel-linked companies. Columbia suspended more than 65 students after a pro-Palestinian protest last May that shut down its main library. The Trump administration halted federal funding over allegations that Columbia had not adequately addressed antisemitism during the protests. The university later reached a settlement involving more than $200 million to resolve the investigation and restore most federal funding.
Palestinian students and workers sue Columbia, alleging discriminatory treatment and retaliation
US President Donald Trump signed a directive recommending fewer childhood vaccines and separate administration of measles, mumps and rubella vaccines. Published on August 11, 2026, the report says the guidance would reduce the recommended number of vaccines from the American Academy of Pediatrics’ current 18 to 11. It is not mandatory, because states, rather than the federal government, determine vaccines required for school attendance.
The proposed core vaccines cover measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, polio, Haemophilus influenzae type b, pneumococcal disease, human papillomavirus and varicella. Trump suggested that combined MMR vaccination could be deadly, but when asked for evidence said he had heard some people say so. The CDC says most MMR recipients have no serious problems and that vaccination is much safer than contracting the three diseases.
The CDC says there is no published scientific evidence that splitting combined MMR shots provides benefits. AAP President Dr Andrew Racine called the order dangerous amid the highest US measles transmission in 35 years. Republican Senator Bill Cassidy called it wrong and urged parents to consult pediatricians. Multiple studies, including a 2019 Danish study of 657,461 children, found no link between MMR vaccination and autism.
Doctors and experts oppose Trump’s nonbinding recommendation to reduce childhood vaccines
Meta is set to face a major federal lawsuit brought by four US states over allegations that Instagram and Facebook were made addictive for children. Jury selection is scheduled to begin Wednesday in a federal court in Oakland, near San Francisco, as part of ongoing litigation against social media companies in the United States. The report was published on August 10, 2026.
Attorneys general from California, Colorado, Kentucky and New Jersey allege that Meta intentionally made its platforms addictive for minors. They are seeking broad restrictions on how Instagram and Facebook are operated for underage users, along with fines of up to $1.4 trillion. The requested amount is close to Meta's entire market value, which exceeded $1.5 trillion on Friday.
Hearings for both sides are expected to begin on August 18. The trial is expected to last about six weeks, with a verdict possibly coming in early October. Meta founder and chief executive Mark Zuckerberg is considered a potentially important witness for the prosecution. He testified in a separate case in Los Angeles six months ago.
Meta faces a four-state US trial over allegations its platforms harmed children
Democratic U.S. Senator Chris Murphy said President Donald Trump has lost the ongoing war with Iran, arguing that the conflict is weakening Washington while strengthening Tehran. In an NBC News interview cited in a report published on August 10, 2026, Murphy said he would support even a “bad deal” if it ended the war and reopened the Strait of Hormuz.
Murphy said the cost of reopening the strategic waterway is increasing as talks remain stalled. He argued that the longer the war continues, the weaker the United States will become, the stronger Iran will become, and the greater the hardship for ordinary Americans as prices continue to rise.
The senator said he would oppose additional funding to continue the war. However, he said he would support funding to replenish U.S. military stocks of weapons and ammunition after the conflict ends. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said direct talks with the United States are taking place, but stated that the Strait of Hormuz would not be reopened until Washington meets Tehran’s demands.
Senator Chris Murphy says ending the Iran war and reopening Hormuz requires a deal
Former US President Joe Biden’s cancer has spread to more parts of his body, his son Hunter Biden said in an interview aired Friday night on the BBC’s Newsnight programme. According to an AFP report, Hunter Biden said the cancer had spread to his father’s bones and other areas despite ongoing treatment.
Biden was diagnosed with an aggressive form of prostate cancer in May 2025, four months after leaving the presidency. The cancer had also spread to his bones. He then began treatment including radiation therapy and hormone therapy. Last month, while announcing his forthcoming memoir, Biden said his treatment was going very well.
Hunter Biden said the illness was very painful and was weakening his father in many ways. He said Joe Biden was still going out and continuing his work, while retaining deep love and faith in the country. Hunter became emotional while discussing his father’s health, saying it was very difficult and painful to see him in that condition.
Hunter Biden says Joe Biden’s cancer has spread further despite ongoing treatment
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.