The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
Two female students at Kolkata’s Jadavpur University have alleged that they were harassed for wearing hijabs during an English examination. According to the report, the head of the English department, Shashwati Haldar, ordered one student to remove her hijab in a crowded classroom after another student was found with a headphone. Despite the student’s denial, she was taken to another room and searched, but no prohibited items were found. A second hijab-wearing student faced similar treatment and was subjected to uncomfortable questions. Both students said the incident caused them to lose 15–20 minutes of exam time. Following the incident, fellow students staged a protest during the university convocation, holding posters reading “My Body My Choice” and “Say No to Islamophobia.” They also submitted a complaint to the vice-chancellor, condemning the selective search of only hijab-wearing students while others with hoodies and coats were not checked. The report described the event as part of a growing trend of Islamophobia in West Bengal, comparing it to incidents in other Indian states. The article also referenced a recent case in Bihar where a minister publicly removed a woman’s hijab, highlighting broader concerns about minority treatment in India.
China’s Foreign Ministry announced sanctions on 20 US defense companies and 10 executives on Friday, following the Trump administration’s approval of a record arms sale to Taiwan. The sanctions include freezing assets held in China and banning Chinese entities and individuals from conducting business with the targeted firms and persons. Earlier this month, the Trump administration approved eight new arms packages for Taiwan worth more than 11 billion dollars. Beijing condemned the move, calling Taiwan a core interest and the first red line in China-US relations that should not be crossed. The ministry stated that any provocative actions crossing this line would face a strong response from China. Beijing urged Washington to adhere to the One-China policy and the three joint communiqués, halt arms sales to Taiwan, and avoid undermining peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait.
China announced sanctions on 20 US defense companies and 10 executives following the Trump administration’s approval of a record arms sale to Taiwan. The Chinese Foreign Ministry made the announcement on Friday, citing the sale of eight new weapons packages worth over 11 billion dollars. The sanctions include freezing assets of the targeted firms and individuals in China and prohibiting domestic entities from conducting business with them. Beijing condemned Washington’s decision, reiterating that the Taiwan issue lies at the core of China’s national interests and marks the first red line in China-US relations. The ministry emphasized that crossing this line would not be tolerated and warned of strong countermeasures against any provocative actions related to Taiwan. China also urged the United States to adhere to the One-China policy and the three joint communiqués, halt arms sales to Taiwan, and avoid undermining peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait.
BNP Acting Chairman Tarique Rahman is set to become a registered voter today, Saturday, at the Election Commission (EC) office in Agargaon, Dhaka. According to EC and BNP sources, he is expected to visit the EC between 11 a.m. and 12 p.m. The voter registration form was completed on Friday using his Gulshan address. EC Commissioner Abdur Rahmanel Ma’sud confirmed there is no legal barrier to his registration, noting that the EC can enroll any eligible citizen at any time. Sources from both the EC and BNP said Rahman may register using the address of his Gulshan residence ‘Firoza,’ though his birthplace Bogura is also under consideration. The final decision will be made before his photograph is taken. EC officials clarified that registering after the election schedule announcement is not unprecedented, citing previous cases including Sheikh Rehana in 2001 and Dr. Badiul Alam Majumdar. Rahman returned to Bangladesh last Thursday after 17 years abroad. The 13th national election schedule was announced on December 11, with voting set for February 12 next year. To contest in the election, being a registered voter is mandatory.
England are edging toward victory in the low-scoring Melbourne Ashes Test, where bowlers have dominated all three completed innings. As of the latest report, England reached 77 for 2 in 12 overs, needing 98 more runs with eight wickets in hand to chase a target of 175. The match has seen no team surpass 150 runs in an innings so far. Australia were bowled out for 132 in their second innings on the second day, undone by the pace attack of Brydon Carse and Ben Stokes. Carse took four wickets for 34 runs, while Stokes claimed three for 24. Josh Tongue and Gus Atkinson added two and one wickets respectively, meaning all ten wickets fell to pace bowlers. Earlier, Australia had scored 152 in their first innings, with England replying with 110. The report indicates that England, led by Stokes, are building resistance and moving steadily toward what could be their first win of the current Ashes series.
Thailand and Cambodia have signed a ceasefire agreement following 19 days of border clashes that left 96 people dead. In a joint statement released on Saturday, the defense ministers of both countries announced an immediate ceasefire, effective from noon local time. Both sides agreed to maintain their current troop positions without movement and to allow civilians living in border areas to return home. The statement also said that Thailand would release 18 detained Cambodian soldiers within 72 hours of the ceasefire taking effect. The conflict between the two Southeast Asian neighbors had intensified in recent weeks. Cambodia’s state news agency reported that Thai forces shelled a village in Banteay Meanchey province on Thursday morning, killing one Cambodian civilian. Cambodia’s National Assembly condemned the attack as “brutal and inhumane.” Meanwhile, the Thai military accused Cambodia of firing BM-21 rockets into a village in Thailand’s Sa Kaeo province, causing extensive damage to civilian infrastructure. Thai authorities confirmed that 23 Thai soldiers, one civilian, and 41 other civilians were killed during the fighting, underscoring the heavy toll of the border violence.
Myanmar’s military junta has announced dates for a three-phase election, with the final round scheduled for January 25. According to a notice published in the state-run Global New Light of Myanmar, voting will take place in 202 of the country’s 330 administrative areas on December 28 and January 11, followed by 63 townships in the third phase. Junta leader Min Aung Hlaing admitted that nationwide voting would not be possible. This will be the first election since the military seized power in 2021, though no date has been set for vote counting or result announcements. The junta hopes the election will legitimize its rule and improve its international image. Analysts, however, doubt the process will lead to stability, noting that the country remains in civil conflict, with the main political party dissolved and about one-third of Myanmar under rebel control. Many question whether a free and fair election is possible under military rule. Western governments and the United Nations have dismissed the vote as a sham, while China, the junta’s key ally, supports it as a step toward stability. Conflict monitoring group ACLED reported a 30 percent rise in air and drone strikes this year, with civilian infrastructure increasingly targeted.
A new report has revisited Bangladesh’s first parliamentary election held on 7 March 1973, following the adoption of the country’s constitution in December 1972. The election, conducted under the leadership of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman’s Awami League, resulted in the party winning 293 seats and forming a government without any opposition presence in parliament. Researchers and political analysts cited widespread irregularities and manipulation across the country, including allegations that ballot boxes were flown to Dhaka to ensure the victory of certain candidates. One of the most controversial cases was in Comilla-9, where Awami League candidate Khandaker Moshtaque Ahmed reportedly won after ballot papers were taken to Dhaka for recounting. Analysts said the ruling party’s dominance left no space for opposition, with several Awami League leaders, including Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, winning uncontested. Contemporary newspapers described the election as a “mockery,” while opposition figures alleged that results in dozens of constituencies were altered through coercion and irregularities. The 1973 election remains a defining episode in Bangladesh’s political history, marking the beginning of a parliament without an opposition and raising questions about the democratic process in the newly independent nation.
A powerful winter storm has disrupted daily life across the northeastern United States, prompting emergency declarations in parts of New York and New Jersey. The U.S. weather service forecasted between four and five inches of snow from New Jersey through New York City to southern Connecticut. As of Friday evening, heavy snow, rain, and ice were affecting the region and were expected to continue until early Saturday. According to the weather department, by 8:15 p.m. Friday, seven inches of snow had been recorded in Pawling, New York, 6.5 inches in Waterbury, Connecticut, and seven inches in Wolcott, New York. New York Governor Kathy Hochul declared a state of emergency in more than half of the state, covering 36 counties, including all five boroughs of New York City. Forecasts indicated that snow would persist through Saturday morning, with the Mid-Hudson, New York City, and Long Island areas expected to see the heaviest accumulation. Snowfall could reach 4 to 8 inches in many areas, with some places seeing up to a foot, raising concerns about power outages and accidents.
BNP’s acting chairman Tarique Rahman left his residence in Gulshan on Saturday morning to visit the grave of martyr Osman Hadi. According to the report, he departed around 10:45 a.m. before heading to the Election Commission office in Agargaon to complete his voter registration process. Reliable sources from the Election Commission and the BNP confirmed that Tarique Rahman is set to become a registered voter. The formalities for his voter form were completed on Friday, using his Gulshan address in Dhaka. His visit to the Election Commission marks the next step in finalizing his registration. The report highlights that the process follows official procedures and that both the Election Commission and BNP sources have verified the information.
Inkilab Mancha has temporarily vacated the Shahbagh intersection in Dhaka due to security measures surrounding the visit of BNP’s acting chairman Tarique Rahman. He is scheduled to visit and pay respects at the grave of Shaheed Osman Hadi, located beside the tomb of national poet Kazi Nazrul Islam. The group, which had been staging a continuous sit-in demanding justice for Hadi’s killing, moved its protest site to the front of Aziz Super Market on Saturday morning. Leaders of Inkilab Mancha stated that they would return to Shahbagh and resume their sit-in after Tarique Rahman completes his visit. Following their departure, members of the Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal took position at Shahbagh, chanting slogans ahead of Rahman’s arrival. The area saw a significant presence of BNP activists. Extensive security arrangements have been implemented across Shahbagh and the Dhaka University area, with personnel from BGB, police, RAB, and the BNP chairperson’s special security force (CSF) deployed to maintain order. Authorities reported that the situation remains fully under control.
In Sariakandi upazila of Bogura, women from 117 chars along the Jamuna River are leading a quiet revolution in agriculture. They work across the sandy river islands, cultivating crops and contributing significantly to the rural economy. From seedbed preparation to harvesting and threshing, women now participate equally with men in nearly all farming activities, helping bring stability and prosperity to their families. Despite their vital role, these women face deep-rooted wage discrimination. Female laborers report earning only 200 to 260 taka per day, while men receive 500 to 600 taka for the same work. Local sources note that both government and non-government organizations are conducting advocacy programs to raise awareness about women’s rights, but wage inequality remains unresolved. Agricultural officer Mohammad Ali Jinnah praised the women’s skill and dedication, emphasizing that ensuring fair pay could further strengthen the rural economy. Observers believe that addressing wage disparity would not only recognize women’s true contribution but also enhance national agricultural productivity.
Mohammad Hossain, a young farmer from Purba Charumed in Lalmohan’s Ramaganj Union of Bhola, has achieved notable success in jujube cultivation. Over the past five years, he has expanded his orchard to 160 decimals of land, growing four varieties of jujube—Bol Sundari, Thai Apple Kul, China Tok-Mishti Kul, and Bharat Sundari. Despite unfavorable weather this year, his yield has been the highest among local growers, and he expects to sell around Tk 1.6 million worth of jujube this season. Hossain began his venture on one acre of fallow land and gradually expanded due to consistent profits. He has already sold 2,000 kilograms of China Tok-Mishti Kul for about Tk 250,000, with wholesale prices at Tk 130 per kilogram and retail at Tk 150. His success has motivated 16 other farmers from nearby areas to start jujube cultivation under his guidance, receiving hands-on training and advice from him. According to Lalmohan Upazila Agriculture Officer Abu Hasnain, Hossain’s orchard is managed hygienically and produces sweet, juicy fruits. The agriculture office has pledged full support to anyone interested in starting commercial jujube farming in the area.
Thirteen iron donation boxes of the historic Pagla Mosque in Kishoreganj were opened on Saturday morning, yielding thirty-five sacks of cash. The counting process began at 7 a.m. with the participation of more than four hundred people, including members of the mosque management committee, teachers and students from the mosque’s madrasa and orphanage, students from the nearby Jamia Emdadia Madrasa, and officials and employees of Rupali Bank. The donation boxes, usually opened every three months, were opened this time after three months and twenty-seven days. Two new boxes were also added before this opening. The previous opening, held on August 30 of the same year, had revealed a record collection of 120.9 million taka along with a large amount of foreign currency and gold ornaments. The opening was conducted in the presence of Kishoreganj Deputy Commissioner and Pagla Mosque Management Committee President Mohammad Aslam Molla, Superintendent of Police S.M. Farhad Hossain, and Additional Deputy Commissioner (General) Mizabe Rahmat.
The 35-kilometer Chandpur-Shariatpur four-lane road project has remained stalled for five years due to financial shortages, land acquisition complications, and administrative paralysis. Approved in the 2019–2020 fiscal year with a budget of Tk 860 crore, the project aimed to expand the road from Shariatpur’s Monohar Bazar to Vedarganj’s Ibrahimpur. Only six kilometers of work have been completed, leaving 29 kilometers unfinished and causing severe suffering for residents across 21 southern and southwestern districts. According to the Roads and Highways Department (RHD), Tk 431.68 crore was allocated for acquiring 95.85 hectares of land, but Tk 430.29 crore was spent acquiring only 49 hectares. The remaining 46.85 hectares require an additional Tk 300 crore, which was not included in the original budget. Many landowners have received only acquisition notices without compensation, leaving them unable to sell or repair their properties. Officials said the project’s tenure has been extended three times, with the current term ending on December 31, 2025. The RHD has requested another extension and a revision of the Development Project Proposal (DPP) to secure additional funds and restart the tendering process.
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.