The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.
Participants in Bangladesh's anti-discrimination student movement said widespread student-public resistance took shape in Cumilla on August 4, 2024. They said positions strengthened from the morning around Kotbari Bishwaroad, Alekhar Char Bishwaroad, Jhagurjhuli and nearby areas. In a report published on August 4, 2026, movement-linked sources described the day's events as a turning point for the movement in Cumilla and said they helped create the backdrop for political change the following day.
According to activists, a procession moved from the Cumilla Cantonment area toward Alekhar Char Bishwaroad at about 11 a.m., where clashes occurred. They alleged that Awami League, Jubo League and Chhatra League activists opened fire, escalating tensions. Eyewitnesses and participants said the army initially observed the situation before moving toward the scene with armored vehicles.
They said protesters gained confidence after the army took positions in the area around midday, and student-public control was later established in Alekhar Char Bishwaroad, Jhagurjhuli and Kotbari Bishwaroad. Lawmaker Haji Jasim Uddin and Cumilla metropolitan BNP president Udbatul Bari Abu also said they received army cooperation. Movement convener Abu Rayhan called the day historic for Cumilla.
Participants say army deployment aided student-public resistance in Cumilla on August 4, 2024
Bangladesh’s Anti-Discrimination Student Movement announced on August 4, 2024 that its March to Dhaka programme would be held on August 5 instead of August 6. The announcement came during the first day of its all-out non-cooperation campaign demanding the fall of Sheikh Hasina’s government. The report said more than 100 people were killed and thousands injured in clashes and shootings involving police, other law-enforcement personnel and ruling Awami League activists across Dhaka and other areas.
According to the report, violence, chases and counter-chases occurred in more than 50 districts, and 13 police personnel were killed at Enayetpur police station in Sirajganj. Clashes continued in many places until 10pm despite a curfew imposed from 6pm. The report also described vandalism and arson targeting Awami League offices, residences of political leaders and government offices in multiple districts.
At Shahbagh, coordinator Nahid Islam called for continuing the sit-in until the government fell. Awami League leader Jahangir Kabir Nanak described protesters as a “militant group” and placed responsibility for violence on them. The government announced an indefinite curfew, shut mobile internet, deployed paramilitary forces in city corporation and municipal areas, and declared a three-day public holiday. The Bangladesh University Teachers Network proposed forming an interim government.
March to Dhaka was moved to August 5 amid nationwide violence on August 4
A report recounts the final 24 hours of Golam Nafiz, a 16-year-old first-year Bangladesh Navy College student who was shot dead while joining a protest in Farmgate, Dhaka, on August 4, 2024. Nafiz left his Mahakhali home around 10 a.m., bought a red-and-green flag and tied it around his head before joining friends. His last call with his mother, Nazma Akter, was at 3 p.m., when he told her he was safe and would return home.
The report says Nafiz had been hit in the leg by rubber bullets during a July 18 protest in Mohakhali but continued participating in demonstrations. During an attack that separated protesters in Farmgate, he was shot in the chest, according to the account. Rickshaw driver Nur Mohammad tried to move him toward hospitals. Relatives identified Nafiz from an image on social media and searched several facilities before his uncle, Abul Hashem, found his body at Suhrawardy Hospital morgue.
The family alleged obstacles while taking the body home and during burial. The report says Nafiz was buried on August 5. Prosecutors have filed formal charges against 22 people, including former home minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal, before International Crimes Tribunal-1 over the shooting deaths of Nafiz and two others. Arrest warrants were issued, and former additional deputy commissioner Sachin Moullick is the only arrested accused in the case, according to the report.
Report recounts teen protester Golam Nafiz's killing and the case now before a tribunal
Farhad Hossain, a second-year history student at the University of Chittagong, was killed after being shot in the head during a quota reform protest in Magura on August 4. A resident of Raynagar village in Sreepur upazila, Farhad joined the protest in Magura after being unable to travel to Dhaka. Gunfire began against protesters near Parnanduali Bridge on the Dhaka-Magura highway. He was taken to hospital and declared dead, then buried that night at Raynagar cemetery.
His family said Farhad hoped to become a university teacher and spent much of his time attending classes, studying in the library and worshipping. Before leaving, he told his elder brother, “Let’s go, brother, and become martyrs.” His final request was for his phone and body to be delivered to his mother. His brother Golam Kibria said their mother, Shirina Begum, was devastated by the news.
A murder case was filed at Magura Sadar police station on August 21, 2024, naming 69 people, including two former members of parliament. Nearly two years later, no charge sheet has been filed. Police said the investigation remains underway to identify actual accused and prevent harassment of innocent people. The family seeks swift and fair justice.
Nearly two years on, no charge sheet in the killing case of CU student Farhad Hossain
Osman Hadi, a prominent activist associated with the July Revolution movement, passed away on Thursday night in Dhaka. His brother, Omar Hadi, confirmed the news to the newspaper *Amar Desh* around 9:40 p.m. The cause of death was not immediately disclosed, and further details are expected to follow as family members and associates prepare for funeral arrangements.
Hadi was known for his involvement in the July Revolution, a political movement that sought reform and accountability in Bangladesh’s governance. His passing has prompted tributes from fellow activists and political observers who recall his dedication to democratic ideals. Reports indicate that one of his brothers is traveling to Singapore, possibly for medical or family reasons, while others are coordinating memorial events.
A symbolic funeral prayer is scheduled for Friday, and student groups at Dhaka University have announced demonstrations and tributes in his honor. Authorities are monitoring gatherings as political tensions remain heightened following recent protests.
July Revolution activist Osman Hadi dies in Dhaka, family confirms late-night announcement
Two members of the July Revels organization were injured in an attack in Dhaka’s Uttara area on Saturday evening. The incident occurred on a road in Sector 4 as the pair were returning from a human chain protest related to the earlier shooting of Osman Hadi. Witnesses said unidentified assailants struck them with sticks before fleeing the scene. The injured were taken to USB Specialized Hospital near Rajuk College for treatment.
Police sources confirmed the assault took place around 6:30 p.m., though the attackers’ identities remain unknown. Uttara Division Deputy Commissioner Shahriar Hossain told *Amar Desh* that investigators received conflicting statements regarding the circumstances of the attack and are verifying the details. No arrests have been made so far.
Authorities are reviewing CCTV footage from nearby areas to identify the perpetrators. The incident has raised safety concerns among members of the July Revels group, who have recently been active in public demonstrations following the Osman Hadi shooting.
Two July Revels members injured in Uttara attack after Osman Hadi protest
The International Crimes Tribunal-1 is set to hear the prosecution’s final arguments today in the crimes against humanity case against Sheikh Hasina and two other accused. Following the defense’s closing arguments on Wednesday, the prosecution began its rebuttal, which concludes today. Chief Prosecutor and the Attorney General are expected to present their statements before the tribunal reserves the case for verdict. Earlier, 54 witnesses — including victims’ families, survivors, and medical professionals — testified in connection with the July Movement incidents, describing acts of genocide, enforced disappearances, and killings allegedly carried out during Hasina’s rule. Among the witnesses, former IGP Chowdhury Abdullah Al Mamun appeared as a state witness, shedding light on the directives and those responsible for implementing the atrocities. The prosecution claims that the evidence presented is sufficient to establish the defendants’ guilt beyond reasonable doubt in any international court.
The Chief Prosecutor will present arguments before the tribunal today. In addition, the Attorney General will also deliver a statement
The Bangladesh government has decided to grant free education to the children of families of the ‘July Martyrs’ in honor of their parents’ sacrifice during the historic July uprising. According to official sources, the Ministry of Liberation War Affairs has formally requested the Ministry of Education, including the Secondary and Higher Education Division, the Technical and Madrasa Education Division, and the Ministry of Primary and Mass Education, to ensure tuition-free education for these students in both public and private schools and colleges. Nusrat Jahan, Senior Assistant Secretary of the Ministry of Liberation War Affairs, confirmed that necessary directives were issued on September 21. Following this, on October 15, the Technical Education Department instructed the Directorate of Technical Education to take steps to implement free education for children of martyr families studying in technical institutions. This initiative recognizes the patriotism and sacrifice of those who laid down their lives during the July movement.
Children of ‘July Martyrs’ to receive free education in schools and colleges across Bangladesh
Bangladesh’s Chief Advisor, Professor Muhammad Yunus, has declared the beginning of a “New Bangladesh” following the signing of the Historic July National Charter 2025. The signing ceremony, held on Friday at 5 p.m., marked a major political milestone, with representatives from various political parties joining in the event. Before the signing, the national anthem was performed at 4:37 p.m. In his remarks, Professor Yunus stated that this Charter symbolizes a new era of transformation made possible by the people’s and students’ uprising. He described the moment as the “second phase of the mass movement,” emphasizing that the nation is discarding old practices and embracing a new framework for governance and democracy—from Parliament to state administration. Yunus expressed optimism that the reforms will lead the nation forward, saying, “Today marks our rebirth; through this signature, we begin a new Bangladesh.”
The signing ceremony of the July National Charter began at 4:37 p.m. with the national anthem
The cross-examination of chief investigation officer Md. Alamgir continues today (October 8) for the third consecutive day in the crimes against humanity case against former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and former Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal. The hearing is taking place before the International Crimes Tribunal-1, headed by Justice Md. Golam Mortuza Majumder. State-appointed defense lawyer Md. Amir Hossain is leading the questioning, challenging Alamgir’s testimony regarding the July–August mass killings. The tribunal adjourned Tuesday’s session after a full day of questioning. Alamgir, the prosecution’s 54th and final witness, has previously presented extensive evidence—video footage, reports, and documents—depicting alleged atrocities across 41 districts during the 2024 protests. The tribunal will move to final arguments and verdict once cross-examinations conclude. Prosecutors Mizanul Islam, Gazi M.H. Tamim, and others are representing the state. The case includes five formal charges of crimes against humanity.
State-appointed lawyer continues third day of cross-examination of lead investigator in Sheikh Hasina’s crimes against humanity trial at ICT-1
In a chilling courtroom testimony, Constable Rashedul Islam described the horrifying events of August 5, 2023, at Ashulia Police Station. While off duty, Rashed heard sudden gunshots that shattered the quiet afternoon. Looking outside, he saw people screaming and running in panic. When he went downstairs, he found a van filled with dead bodies. His superior officer, former OC Sayed, instructed him, “Rashed, your hands are free—cover the bodies.” Rashed used a blue banner to conceal the corpses. Later, he learned the bodies had been burned in a police vehicle. His testimony was presented before the International Crimes Tribunal-2 as the 12th witness in a case involving the killing of seven people during the July-August movement. Former MP Saiful Islam and 15 others are accused, eight of whom remain fugitives. The tribunal has scheduled the next hearing for Wednesday, October 8.
Constable Rashed Testifies About Hearing Gunfire and Covering Bodies During Ashulia Killings, Exposing Heart-Wrenching Details of the 2023 Violence
The prosecution has officially begun an investigation against the Awami League as a political organization for alleged crimes against humanity committed during the July uprising. This marks the first time a major political party in Bangladesh faces possible trial under the International Crimes (Tribunal) Act. Chief Prosecutor Mohammad Tajul Islam confirmed that preliminary evidence collection is underway, based on allegations filed by the National Democratic Movement (NDM). The prosecution claims that party leaders, including Sheikh Hasina, issued directives leading to mass killings during the protests. A formal charge has already been filed against four senior party members, including joint general secretary Mahbubul Alam Hanif. The amended tribunal law now allows punishment for political parties and affiliated organizations involved in such crimes. The tribunal will decide soon whether to accept the charges for formal trial proceedings.
Prosecutors begin collecting evidence to investigate Awami League’s alleged involvement in July uprising atrocities.
After more than a year in the morgue, six unidentified bodies from the July uprising have finally been buried by Anjuman Mofidul Islam. On Thursday morning, the bodies were transferred from Dhaka Medical College to Jurain Cemetery following a court order. Shahbagh Police Station OC Khalid Mansur said that while multiple attempts were made to identify the bodies—including DNA tests—none were successful. Most of the victims reportedly died from blunt force trauma. The bodies were discovered in various areas, including Jatrabari, just before August 5 last year.
Unidentified Victims of July Uprising Finally Laid to Rest After One Year
The bodies of six unidentified victims of the July-August mass uprising are being handed over to Anjuman Mufidul Islam for burial. These corpses had remained at the Dhaka Medical College Hospital morgue for over a year without identification.
According to Shahbagh Police OC Khalid Mansur, the bodies belong to cases under Shahbagh, Paltan, and Jatrabari police stations. DNA samples have been preserved for future identification. The burial is scheduled for Thursday at 11 AM.
Unidentified Martyrs of July-August Uprising to Be Buried After a Year in Morgue
On July 19, 2024, Bangladesh experienced the second consecutive day of a nationwide "complete shutdown" marked by violent clashes and widespread unrest. At least 67 people were killed across the country, with 62 deaths reported in Dhaka alone. Fatalities were also confirmed in Rangpur, Savar, Sylhet, and Narsingdi.
The unrest led to hundreds of injuries, including students, political activists, police officers, journalists, and civilians. Violent confrontations erupted between law enforcement, members of the opposition—including BNP—and student protesters. Government and private offices, police stations, and BRTA offices were attacked, torched, or vandalized.
Key parts of Dhaka were brought to a standstill as public transport and rail services were suspended. A curfew was imposed, and military forces were deployed in the capital. Protesters rejected the government's call for dialogue and issued a nine-point list of demands. In response, the government adopted a hardline approach while citizens held human chains calling for peace and stability.
Looking Back at July 19: Nationwide Shutdown Turns Deadly with 67 Killed
The ‘1 Nojor’ media platform is now live in beta, inviting users to explore and provide feedback as we continue to refine the experience.